UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My D24 did this and it was super easy. He will need a couple of specific classes the first year. It’s pretty common and called cross-campus transfer.
You can find information here.Cross-Campus Transfer – Bulletin

When we started this school year, the school’s biggest advice was to let go and parent less. It’s so hard to see them struggle, but I’d rather she struggle this year so she can be prepared for next Fall! My exception to that has been this application process where I have nagged the crap out of her because those deadlines are black and white :grinning:

3 Likes

Sounds hardcore. I’m not sure the pressure is worth it. One of my twins did a project on the Tiger Mom book. Great (hyperbolic, sensationalized, entertaining) read. Mom out her kid out in cold for misbehaving when they were 4. Wonder where that kid is now?

This kid? “Tiger Mom” Amy Chua’s daughter to clerk for Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court.

2 Likes

does anyone has any insight about the difficulty to get into the school of information? thanks.

OOS, Top Feeder prep school, 3.72 UW, 15 APs, 34 ACT Superscore, deferred EA. Decent but unspectacular ECs, not strong leadership positions but started a charity, two sport varsity athlete.
Chances?

I would be very careful here, and it is probably school specific. My kids have experiences within the engineering schools at UIUC and UW. Their friends found it virtually impossible to transfer in. Many of the programs are capped. In most schools, biomedical engineering is one of the smaller disciplines and, given its recent popularity over the past decade, it is very competitive. By the way, my Badger (and, sorry, he is still a Badger) biomedical engineer is getting his PhD at UM in Biomechatronics (in the school of Robotics). The 2 schools mentioned above (as I’m sure is the case with UM) have great research opportunities and placement statistics.

Totally. It was the deadlines this year that caused the most conflict. I left him to his own devices for much of his school work, but omg the deadlines… I couldn’t bear to watch.

2 Likes

Do we think the 25th or the 1st???

seconding this. I know nobody knows for sure but looking to gauge the general opinion.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I think it will be the 1st. Would love to be wrong.

3 Likes

Nothing says Michigan is the New Stanford as loudly as releasing after Ivy Day :wink:. Or…the most elaborate April Fools joke ever just played out on this thread every Friday since mid-January. But it was a great joke!

5 Likes

The last Ross wave is two weeks after Ivy Day - no joke!

Around here, a limited sample size as the usual disclaimer, the last Ross “wave” has never contained that many acceptances. Mostly waitlists and rejections. And FWIW, the 3/18 Ross wave had rejections in it.

I haven’t heard of anyone being denied, if they were qualified by the standards set by Michigan. @Knowsstuff 's son was a cross campus transfer to CoE. And you don’t formally choose your major until the end of your sophomore year.

UCLA was last Friday and Berkeley is this Thursday (3/24), so let’s hope it’s this Friday. :pray:

It’s time for heaven’s sake. But I’m always wrong, so there’s that too. :grinning:

6 Likes

Trigger warning: inside NYC baseball. With the exception of Saint Ann’s in Brooklyn - no grades, no test scores, no problem. One such young woman, a friend of my daughter’s, got in both Williams and Amherst on Friday. Saint Ann’s literally does not have grades, and this young woman submitted no scores. (My daughter went to Packer until 8th, and is now at LaGuardia by you. And she - with top grades and SAT and all the other goodies - got dinged at Williams).

Hey! I’m not triggered. Schools have their institutional priorities as to admission, and many have embarked on using (mainly) the essay to differentiate. This too shall pass.

But as to SA (where I have some inside knowledge), the school long ago figured this out and between the highly connected legacies and the well-written LORs, they have really cracked the top SLACs. Plus, each student’s list is curated. So you don’t have LaG/SHS style shotgunning the T30s.

I looked at the LaG 2022 Instagram page for college admissions and this is what stood out - top schools are getting the FGLI kids from LaG, anyone outside that institutional priority if needing aid has a more difficult time. Anecdotally, boys seem to have an easier time with college exmissions.

https://instagram.com/lag2022seniors?utm_medium=copy_link

1 Like

I went on my UF tour yesterday and kind of fell in love - it was so much better than I was expecting! Considering they would pay for everything then pay an extra 10-15k/year on top, it’s near impossible to turn down. But my heart is still set on Michigan. I’ve done everything possible to get a scholarship there but it looks like I’m probably not getting one. It’s breaking my heart to know I have to move on:( UF’s football program treated me amazingly well yesterday and I’m super excited about the opportunities I would have there but my heart just can’t let go of Michigan - it doesn’t help that they’re making a run in the tourney so I’m sitting here cheering them on while trying to let go! I wish my parents had not raised me as such a strong Michigan fan lol I would be in a much simpler position right now

5 Likes

Check this out you guys. Toptier Admissions says this is the date for decision release. They seem to have all of the other schools updated RD release dates.

Though it’s hard to believe, maybe they know something that @sushiritto @dadofjerseygirl don’t😂

8 Likes