UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

It might come down to the coin toss :rofl:. I remember one poster saying how they feel after the coin toss outcome might be very telling.

1 Like

Great advice, and itā€™s funny, when my son came home from another long robotics practice a few hours ago, after he bored me to tears telling me how many pounds some piece of the robot came in over the limit, I asked him if he had any school work left tonight. He said he got a good chunk done during a break, so I said ā€œGreat. This would be a good time to hop on the MSU website and start looking over the dorm options were were talking about. And check out the study abroad stuff and compare to what you liked at Wayne Stateā€¦ā€ Iā€™m really trying to keep him interested and engaged, especially as our first visit to MSU is in a week.

We all need and will find that time to celebrate!

3 Likes

Looks like if those still waiting for a decision are interested in Honors at UMich, they will have to have a quick turnaround on applying for Honors since the last deadline to apply is 4/7
https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/applytohonors/deadlines-requirements/?fbclid=IwAR2bomWBcgncvn3QVnJOyU8iBxjbrnlpW5p1ecl91gpRntY5IQWME6qQVys

3 Likes

Is there a team that they root for? Which school is more economical? If they really donā€™t care and fit and feel and culture is the sameā€¦ Save moneyā€¦ Lol

1 Like

Ha, I went to Wayne State but lived at home since I also worked at Providence Hospital putting myself through college. But the area is much nicer nowā€¦ No questionā€¦

If both are affordable for your family I would be at Michigan State in a heartbeat. Itā€™s a really good program. My son did their summer robotics course. Very well done and their head of engineering at Michigan State is really involved and a nice guyā€¦ If also in honors has lots of options

1 Like

Also look into clubs, activities, courses, minors, etc. There is usually something that might stand out on a deeper dive into the schools. Maybe itā€™s a learning community that stands out. Study abroad options, new technology that the others donā€™t have. New schools or majors or ease of switching majors. Usually something will stand out when doing a deeper look.

1 Like

Oh cool! Believe it or not, he has had his heart set on Wayne since he got in and it got scary for a little while if he was going to even get the UMich app in. He is nonplussed over MSU but hopefully the visit changes that. We got the admitted students event, followed by a separate engineering tour (he got in for Computer Engineering).

He started off prejudiced by Wayne being ā€œDetroitā€ until he realized itā€™s a really nice campus and he can do the whole ā€œIā€™m a man on my own in the cityā€ thing. Heā€™s still prejudiced that MSU is just gonna be a big sports party, so Iā€™m looking forward to him dropping that notion after the tour.

Both are affordable, especially since he has junior standing with all the gen Edā€™s done too, so it just may come down to where he truly feels happiest. Thereā€™s Michigan Tech too, but thatā€™s another story heh.

1 Like

Nice. Itā€™s just funny to me how Wayne and Grand Valley (my niece is there) became the ā€œcoolā€ schools to go to. We know several families at Wayne the last 5 years and they really enjoyed their time there. So much nicer than then back in the day. Good luck and like to hear where he ends up. MSU has a really nice like engineering community there especially for the freshman.

1 Like

I encouraged each of my kids to collect a copy of the student run newspaper during campus visits.
Very often there is information in these publications that one cannot easily find elsewhere. For my oldest, his decision was swayed by an issue that was being debated.

12 Likes

Totally agree with this!! You can learn a lot about the school culture from the student newspaper and/or magazine.

Incredibly thoughtful and gracious. You must be super proud!!

One aspect of being a graduate of University of Michigan that gets overlooked is the value of its extraordinarily strong alumni network and the willingness of the alumni to help the graduates. So, I hope that all applicants take their time and reassess all of their options after admissions carefully. In the case of University of Michigan, this includes securing spots for highly sought after internships ā€“ a much neglected topic but it is a very important differentiator when looking for a permanent job post graduation. Go Blue!

6 Likes

We did this alsoā€¦ Can gain great insight

Iā€™m not the Michigander - DH is - but I love all things Michigan/Detroit and have a real appreciation for Wayne State. My DHā€™s father was a professor there, and when I was in law school and weā€™d go visit DHā€™s family for Thanksgiving and Iā€™d have to study for exams, Iā€™d go to the Wayne State law library to get away from the holiday hubbub. Itā€™s beautiful and Detroit is going to make a real comeback one day. Iā€™d retire to Detroit except that I think my children are going to end up in the South - that is, unless my DS22 gets in Michigan and makes it his home! Like your DS, heā€™s waiting on a GT decision, too, but both are reaches for him.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll fully get over the sadness of not being at Michigan until I am actually on campus in the fall wherever I end up - but youā€™re right, once Iā€™m there I will be fine and Iā€™m sure that I will love it - my last ditch effort for Michigan scholarship will be whatever happens on Ivy Day but I know the chances are low of both getting in and also being able to get scholarship using that so I am doing my best to fall in love with other schools that offered scholarship, including UF! Either way, I will definitely always cheer for Michigan - 4 years ago my brother ended up going to USC over Michigan because they offered scholarship, and while he still roots for Michigan, he ended up in a great position, so I am hoping it will be the same case for me - I think my extended family is just shocked that none of the cousins ended up at UM. I am the youngest, and I think they all thought I would be the one to go, as I definitely care the most about it!

3 Likes

Have you actually reached out and talked with financial aid /scholarship department? If not, thatā€™s your last ditch effort. Nothing to lose. Explain your situation. See what happens. Donā€™t throw the free tuition in their face but see if they can give you anything more to make it affordable for you. But saying this, there is really no reason to go into major debt since you have great options.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great to hear! Iā€™m so bummed my next door neighbor just moved who was a Wayne State Engineering professor emeritus, I really wanted to chat with him! Unfortunately, I didnā€™t get to make the visit, but my son and husband did and it got very high marks from them. I just want my kid to be excited about going to college, because he is very antsy to start working (he has an Associateā€™s in comp sci), but being able to finish his Bachelorā€™s in possibly under 2 years while being right in the city near so many recruiting companies is highly desirable to him. They even gave him the 2nd highest scholarship and I didnā€™t submit FAFSA so it would be insanely cheap if he commuted, but I definitely want him out of the house :).

I went through the same thing. Michigan barely gave me financial aid and I worked so hard to get them to reconsider. My EFC was under 25k and they offered me tuition of 65k. DONT GIVE UP THOUGHā€¦ I applied to so many Michigan scholarships and last Friday wound up getting a 35k renewable scholarship and now I am committed! Things will work out.

9 Likes

yes, I have emailed them a few times over the past month and a half about it and while they have been nice in their responses, they have not been very helpful. For some reason Michigan really does not like to be transparent, even with scholarships. I did make it clear that I cannot go to Michigan without a scholarship, but that with one, I would choose Michigan over anywhere else. They basically gave me a soft no, while leaving my hopes up because they said they will be awarding them through mid-April, which means my heart wonā€™t fully give up on them until then. They wouldnā€™t give me info on how many large scholarships still have yet to be awarded or give me any idea of how many more students will be receiving them - Iā€™m regretting applying to COE as LSA appears to give more out.

2 Likes

congrats thatā€™s awesome!! i wonā€™t give up on them until mid-april but chances are looking slimmer as i believe the big ones have pretty much gone out at this point

1 Like

Has anyone gotten in touch w an Ao recently about decisions?

4 Likes