UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

12 i think

1 Like

My son found out about the alumni when he started a tech org on campus. Within like an hour of registering it with the university he had people local and from Silicon Valley reaching out to help. It was kinda unreal. They both helped their path in building it and guidance. The Alumni at Michigan are for real.

6 Likes

FWIW, this OOS poster/family on this thread, is trying to decide between UIUC and Michigan, and was offered $25,000/year by Michigan in financial aid. Michigan is notoriously stingy with OOS families.

EA round they were released around 12:23pm PST

1 Like

DS22 had missed submitting LOCI on time in February. He sent the info to his AO on email with an apology but not sure if it will be used. Otherwise his credentials are strong and generally meet/exceed UMich benchmarks. He is OOS applicant. Does not submitting LOCI in portal likely mean he will be rejected?

This is my post but the person who posted the message I am
Responding to got the financial aid award not my child. I don’t understand why you would repost this without having the correct information.

Original poster

My daughter got accepted at the University of Illinois and University of Michigan
Illinois LAS Chemistry
Michigan LSA Neuroscience

1. We are Illinois residents
  2. We are out of state for Michigan

Illinois offered her pretty good financial aid package
Michigan offered her 25000 however we have to come up with the remainder she did apply for several LSA scholarships and the Chicago Michigan alumni chapter scholarship
She thinks Illinois is not as good as Michigan

What would you recommend to your child?

This is very toxic that people
Stalk what you write on other posts and try to turn your words around. Good luck to all of you!

1 Like

More vague, not less vague

Ross - After getting accepted in EA, does Ross application status still shows ‘checklist complete all required materials received?
Does it ever say ‘under review’?

I don’t recall my D22 changing status until acceptance to Ross.

1 Like

No
 but it does mean the LOCI was not added to his applicant file.

Thanks for quick response

What is the difference in the net cost between Michigan and Illinois? Studying either of these subjects likely means your child will pursue a graduate degree. Michigan might be rated slightly higher in certain sciences but does that justify the additional cost. If graduate school is likely, I would save the $ for that degree.

Fyi, I am a lifelong Illinois resident whose daughter is waiting to hear from Michigan and wouldn’t apply to Illinois even though she would have easily gotten in. I didn’t go to Illinois but have had numerous cousins, neices and nephews attend U of I.

1 Like

A fair number of the comments here are from parents who are put off by not hearing a decision earlier than the early April promised date.

1 Like

I was trying to link the entire thread, re: Michigan awarded $25K of financial aid, from the OP, not just your post(s).

I wanted to show that Michigan does award OOS students financial aid at least in some amount. Nothing “toxic” was intended to you or anyone.

7 Likes

This has definitely been the most interesting and most commented site. Often times deviating way from the intended original topic which keeps (or maybe doesn’t) peoples minds off the pending decisions.

Yes people have pointed out there is precedence for earlier U Mich decisions but this year ( and last year to some extent) have been very different. Yes they can be more transparent but many places have not been any more transparent and have let students (and parents) know 1-2 days before releasing decisions. With respect to it now being later than in the past, it is what it is. No one complaining about IVY day being 3/31 or other places coming out next week. It’s likely they will come out next week or shortly after but not as late as 4/15 (giving people only 2 weeks to decide).

Yield protection theory? Maybe but unlikely. Sure after IVY day and others come out next week there will be U Mich withdrawls but no one is obligated to do this immediately as they consider their options at least until May 1 and its likely decisions have been made already so these withdrawls probably wont have a great impact on their yield (unless they wait until MAY 1 to make a decisions). Just sit back and wait. Frustrating considering an EA application so long ago but no different from an ED/deferral application at other places.

6 Likes

same here! IL residents. Neither D19 nor D22. Both applied /accepted to Michigan. Awaiting to se regarding LSA. Hoping that just because we haven’t heard does not mean no scholarship!! :grimacing:

2 Likes

For more privacy, you can hide your profile. To hide your public profile, go to Preferences >Interface> Other> Hide my public profile.

I didn’t think I would emotionally get to this point in the process, but I just want it to be over. I was trying to ride the ups and downs with resilience, much as my son has, but now I’m just nauseated by the whole thing. I’m disappointed in myself for allowing it get to me. Perhaps it’s because I’ve had one of those famous “bad things come in threes” in the past 30 days that has nothing to do with college apps, and I’ve used this as a distraction, but my lord, if the gauntlet isn’t dropped tomorrow, I am going to have to make serious plans for the next week to get all this out of my head!