UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Do we think decisions will be out tomorrow? Or next week?

2 Likes

I so need to hear this right now for my kid!

2 Likes

This!! I transferred from my first choice school (to which I applied ED) after a year, and ended up at a school I never even considered the first go around and could not have been happier. I firmly believe it works out the way it is supposed to.

5 Likes

Completely agree. There are a lot of advantages to my daughter’s second choice and I think kids end up where they are supposed to be. Just got to hang in a little longer for decisions…

2 Likes

Not in this situation. Dd has an acceptance only to an instate safety. Rejected from BC and WashU today. If U of M (first choice) does not admit her, it will be a disaster. We assumed as did her GC that U of M was a sure thing, so her list had one super safety and lots of reach/far reach. This is horrible. Pretty clear at this point that she will not get into any reaches.

Sorry to hear. Instate, right? I think the chances are good.

I’m on Reddit/a2c a lot and there is at least 1 international needing full aid who took a gap year and re-applied with great success. Not sure if your daughter/son would consider that.

1 Like

So if it’s a sure thing, then she’ll get in this week or next, no need to worry. Sorry about today’s rejections, and the MSU Honors super safety disaster.

1 Like

Less than stellar counseling for sure BUT MSU Honors is an amazing option! We know quite a few kids who are thriving there.

My son has a reachy list too, and I fully understand the disappointment that comes with certain portal checks. It’s been very helpful to focus on the admitted student opportunities rather than the ones that got away. Easier said than done, but our selective attention can serve to propel us in whatever direction we choose. Focusing on the opportunities that await feels really good right now :white_heart:

3 Likes

Admissions this cycle are so wonky - I’ve seen posts of students waitlisted at Villanova and Skidmore and then accepted at U of Chicago. Not to say that I disagree with your stress, and I commiserate completely - it’s been painful for the majority of applicants. Rooting for your D and an acceptance at U of M!

2 Likes

Thanks. We are learning MSU honors is fabulous, and trust me, their love has been appreciated. But only getting into her safety that is an hour from home has been devastating for her (and us, frankly). So I hear you, but right now, I’m just sad for my kid. Clearly U of M is not a sure thing, that became brutally apparent when she did not get in ea.

2 Likes

Sorry if this question has been posted before. If I have not heard about any merit scholarships so far, the chance of getting a scholarship along with an admission decision is remote. Am I correct?

UMich can not really be considered a sure thing or “safety” for anyone. My daughters guidance counselor told her UMich was a target school, and none of my daughters friends could believe it because they were all told it was a reach. Any GC calling UMich a safety or a sure thing should not be offering guidance.

My daughter was postponed EA at UMich and it was a devastating blow because she was hoping that having this acceptance in her pocket would make the rest of the rejections inconsequential. It didn’t turn out that way, and after applying to 29 schools the top school she has received an acceptance at is UW with admittance to the honors program. That in itself was a nice honor because they only accepted 225 students out of 5,800 that applied to the honors program.

Yes, she applied to a lot of reach schools in the top 30 and we thought she would hit at least one reach jackpot, but that just hasn’t come to pass. We all want our kids to get into their top choices and most of them have worked so hard that they really deserve to, but there is certainly nothing wrong with MSU honors for your daughter or UW honors for mine. Sometimes we just need to appreciate the smaller wins because while it might not be the jackpot we were looking for, we need to celebrate our victories nonetheless. Your daughter will clearly succeed wherever she ends up!

23 Likes

I agree that UM is not a safety for anyone. If your stats are too high, yield protection means that applicant may not get in.
I can’t imagine applying to 29 schools and writing 29 supplemental essays—good luck to your daughter. We loved UW—beautiful campus and lots of school spirit. Everyone is super nice there. And it’s a great school academically!

1 Like

I’m typing here, because I don’t know how to post a new message apparently. I’m new to this.

My daughter received an email today from U Michigan Financial aid that she hasn’t submitted Parent B CSS Profile (when parents are not together).

Did anyone else get a similar Michigan email this close to admissions requesting more info from financial aid? Am I reading into this too much? Or could they be so cruel as to ask for more paperwork to be filled out only to reject you after you’ve gone through the time and work of filling it out?

We did not get that email but posters in the past have received it. You never know. My older daughter received an email before EA decisions were released in 2019 (for Fall 2020) from the School of Education stating that if she was admitted to LSA, she would get into the Preferred Admit at the School of Education. It was a good 3 weeks before the decision was released and I thought it meant that she was being accepted. And she was.

My daughter received a similar email yesterday. And much like the other poster, my older daughter also got an email like that before decisions came out, and she got in. She’s a junior now.

However, I think someone earlier may have mentioned these are mass emails to all pending applicants because the deadline is approaching. I’m not sure it means anything. (But ngl, I prefer to be wrong here, obviously!) Anyone know?

Right there with you. It seems like UMich is like a lottery. We are instate excellent stats (like the rest of the 80,000+ apps). Was accepted MSU Honors etc. For my daughter she first gave a hard no to MSU. The positive attention from Honors, plus we’ve done several trips there to learn about Lyman Briggs and other events and have 2 more planned for April, that has definitely helped create some nice resiliency and ease the way. She’s caring less about possible rejections from elsewhere

7 Likes

How are we feeling about tomorrow?

1 Like

I have no experience with this, but I’ve seen a lot of kids talk about it on Reddit and the consensus is usually that the Financial Aid dept. is separate from Admissions, and they are just trying to get all their ducks in a row before the end of the cycle and noticing anything that may have been overlooked.

1 Like