UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Great choices - UCB and UCLA also record numbers! You must be proud.

Legacy and Rejected here :slight_smile:

This may have been posted in the past, but here is the CDS data on the last five years of waitlists. Let’s all hope for another big year of movement, and not a repeat of last year.

High School Class of 2017:
Waitlist Spot Offered 11,127
Took Spot 4,124
Offered Admission 470

Class of 2018:
Offered 14,783
Took Spot 6,000
Offered Admission 415

Class of 2019:
Offered 12,527
Took Spot 4,922
Offered Admission 89

Class of 2020 (Covid seniors):
Offered 20,723
Took Spot 9,856
Offered Admission 1,248

Class of 2021:
Offered 17,805
Took Spot 13,063
Offered Admission 68

1 Like

IMO, historically, yes with a few exceptions. And I think this year may be an exception. With the ratio of WL’ing this cycle, gut feel says Michigan will grab more applicants this cycle than normal.

2 Likes

I agree, unprecedented, IMO. No I have not seen WL’ing in these numbers, in terms of ratios to acceptances and rejections.

1 Like

No loans. Boiler up!

6 Likes

I’ve been lurking on this thread since the EA decisions came out in January and believe I’ve read every one of these thousands of posts here, but this is my first time posting. DS22 received the devastating news today of his rejection by U-M. He was born and raised in Ann Arbor (5 blocks from the Big House) and he has wanted to be a Wolverine since he could first say “Go Blue!” He goes to the high school across the street from the stadium, one of the top 10 in-state feeder schools. We knew of a surprising and unprecedented number of a EA deferrals at our school this January, and today we also know of many more rejections than are reflected in this thread here on CC, including of my son’s friend who has nearly perfect stats. I’m floored at the number of waitlisted decisions listed in this thread today. In “real life,” we know of one student who received a waitlist notification today.

Decision: Rejected
Application Type: EA Deferred
School: LSA
Stats: 3.92uw, 1410 SAT, 5 AP classes, 4s and 5s on the AP tests taken so far
Legacy: N
Very strong essays, deep EC experience in his passions (varsity crew all 4 years; musical ensemble participation & leadership, both vocal and instrumental, 4+ years), application didn’t fully make clear his leadership and community service - tried to correct with strong LOCI. We know his academic stats are not the superstar status of some, but he is a solid, grounded, level-headed, hardworking student of the same caliber of the many, many flourishing U-M students I’ve worked with over the past 21 years (as part of my job, which is not with the university).

This dream is dying hard for my son. He has other great options (when we got the U-M news today, we were out of state visiting his 2nd choice, a private liberal arts college which has offered a fantastic merit package; MSU still comes out cheaper, but his grief over U-M won’t allow him to give MSU a real look just yet). I know he will land in a just right place for him, and I know for sure that his future success doesn’t depend on an undergraduate degree from U-M.

Congrats to all who received happy news today. Go Blue!

17 Likes

DS22 (OOS) Rejected from UMich after EA Deferral (and forgetting to submit his well-crafted LOCI).

Also outright rejected at UVA (EA).

Got OOS into UCSB, UCSD, and Waitlisted at UCLA. So overall mixed results at public schools but kinder response in CA.

Accepted USC (LA) and Reed College so far among privates, so feels like multiple options to consider.

5 Likes

I’m devastated for your son (and for you). Just really hard to make sense of what is going on.

5 Likes

D22-Waitlisted for LSA. OOS 3.9 UW.

Accepted at U-MN, Purdue, UW-Madison, UW-Seattle, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara.

1 Like

DS Waitlisted OOS Mechanical Engineering
1500 (750/750)
3.91/5.23
President Aerospace Club
Two sport varsity athlete
Academic all-state football and wrestling
Theatre (actor and student director)
20 hours transferable dual credit (all A’s)
8 AP (all 4s and 5s)
172 hours community service

Accepted:
Purdue
Wisconsin- Madison
UIUC
CU Boulder
UW- Seattle
UT Austin

Waitlisted:
UM
UCSD

Rejected:
UCB
Rice

3 Likes

Feeling like old news here.
Waitlisted OOS LSA EA postponed
Won’t bother listing D’s achievements, scores, honors and awards. Pretty much the same of what’s been noted ^^^
I think Michigan created a tremendous waitlist the week before Ivy Day, let the other schools do the hard work, see what’s left. Can’t otherwise make sense of what I am reading.

11 Likes

I’m not seeing any rejections from CoE here. Is it like CoE has wait listed mostly? Just curious!

DS accepted
(Postponed EA)
LSA

OOS
SAT 1580
GPA 4.0 (unweighted)

5 Likes

Son waitlisted and apparently will continue to wait until he is old and grey.
EA deferred
OOS
LSA
3.7 GPA u/w, competitive private school
SAT 790 verbal/720 math
Strong ECs, tri varsity athlete, athletic awards, lots of leadership positions at school.
Not a legacy.
Accepted at Wisco and SMU Cox so will go with one of them and pray for UM waitlist.

2 Likes

Decision: Waitlisted
Application Type: EA postponed (11/1)
School: COE
Stats: SAT 1520

You know what “they” say, “those who stay (on the WL) will be champions.” :+1:

Seriously, they’ll be going to that WL more than they have in the past. Another prediction where I hope I’ll be right, but with my luck, I’ll be wrong again. If so, I’ll apologize in advance.

4 Likes

DD22 accepted after ea deferred
OOS
COE
4.0 (uw)/ 34 act
No legacy but sibling there now
Highest rigor (many APs)/lots of ECs/service

4 Likes

I don’t recall seeing so many waitlists on this page as in the past- would you agree from what you’ve seen today?

1 Like

Thank you! Was keeping my fingers crossed for both our Ds. So glad your D is in at Syracuse and with a scholarship to boot!