UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Ann Arbor or UofM system? That mistake has happened in past years :slight_smile:

When does UMich usually release decisions?

Honestly, depends on your HS with Umich.
My school has 18-20 kids apply, 3 get accepted
Friends schools have 56 apply and 28 get accepted, some of which are way less deserving than the kids at my HS that dont get in.

No, I think you have a very good chance. My OOS daughter was accepted to COE last year with a 3.93 UW GPA, test optional. I donā€™t think she had amazing ECs and she wasnā€™t an athlete. She did have a lot of college level classes in physics, chem and calculus (all As) though. Maybe that helped. She ended up at UT Austin.

2 Likes

What state? Great options for her!

will more decisions be released today?

Itā€™s holistic review per school or district. They are not compared to your school just theirs. So yes, students with less GPA /stats will get in just about to any school. If Michigan accepts them then they are deserving.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no evidence that any decisions were released today.

6 Likes

Please check the previous answers on this thread (or you can use the search function). This question has been answered multiple times.

1 Like

Regarding decisions being released, remember that some schools at Michigan arenā€™t on the same time horizon. The smaller schools, like SMTD, STAMPS, Architecture, even Nursing and Kinesiology, MAY release some of their decisions earlier (or later) than the Big 2 (LSA and CoE represent about 80-85% ish of the entire class).

2 Likes

Here to second this! Iā€™ve had personal conversations with AOā€™s before and they tend to compare you to your school profile and other applicants at your school rather than students from other schools. And, they look at more than just your GPA, also look at test scores, ECā€™s, essays recommendations, etc. Many more things will go into the application that the applicant might not even know about that may be the reason someone got in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am a bit puzzled by this framework. If this were true, they need to have an equal number of admissions offered to each high school right? This is not obviously the case. The schools themselves are being compared at some level. So indirectly kids are being compared across different schools.

2 Likes

Since someone posted about hearing through the grapevine that some folks were accepted today that weā€™ve seen no evidence of that here. Not saying it isnā€™t possible for one of the smaller schools within the university to have sent something out, but at least in terms of LSA I donā€™t think so.

1 Like

Oh no, you are into a slippery area here. Yes, colleges like some high schools more than others and it is a difficult point. In fact when they talk about the ā€œregionalā€ team looking at your app that is kind of a mixed message if you are from a school that they have not rewarded in the past. Be careful with this point or we will be back to standardized tests being valuable and fair as the main way to differentiate between similar kids from different schools!

Indirectly of course. But, schools receive a profile (such as how many AP classes they offer, income levels, and other things like that) on your high school that allow them to better understand how you measure up to the curriculum at your school. So a student whose school offers only 6 APs and takes all of those APā€™s may look more competitive or may look like a better applicant than a student whose school offers 12 and they take 6 (those are a ridiculous amount of AP classes I do not recommend taking that many). Of course a million other things are taken into account for these students. But yes in a sense youā€™re right they are being compared because only a certain amount of students will get the spots but in different ways. I hope that makes sense!

In fact this was the exact thinking behind the SAT 60 years ago, lets create a test that every high school senior in the country takes in a cold dark high school gym as a way of comparing and evaluating kids. Sadly, this evolved into kids studying for and being tutored for the test for 3 years at a cost of $10k+ which was clearly not part of the original formula.

1 Like

Standardized testing is not currently in vogue, but thanks to grade inflation I expect it will make a big comeback in the upcoming years. Not sure that essays can correctly differentiate math/engineer majors.

5 Likes

Funny you mention the school profile. I literally sat down last night with our public school profile and compared in to two elite private school profiles. If these schools were selling any service or product in the world you would never ever have purchased the product from our school vs the the other two. It was like you were reading an Apple business summary profile compared to a kids lemonade stand.

4 Likes

From New Mexico.

Public schools have larger graduating classes and more economies of scale. I am curious why they donā€™t offer all the APs that are offered at a private school. After all, if all 600 kids (in a batch, say) need to study history, in groups of 25 kids each, they need resources to teach 24 sections. You presumably need resources to teach 24 sections whatever history these kids want to learn ā€“ some of them could be advanced AP sections just as others could be non-AP history.