UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Unsure what portion of a private school class gets coached for SAT. It is a popular belief that they do, but I don’t know what the data are on this. My kids go/went to private school, and I couldn’t get them to take a practice test before they went and gave the test, let alone go for coaching.

1 Like

You speak the truth. This is why it’s a holistic review. They don’t want a whole class of 4.0 35 act kids. They want variety

2 Likes

you have a great shot at getting deferred EA! ,
but the good news is that my D19 daughter w Your profile to yours, did you get admitted during the first wave of RD. And I said she is set to graduate from Michigan 2023

Interesting. But they want both of those that can communicate. Writing is a skill. Engineers need to write proposals and communicate with others efficiently. In engineering they tell you this on day one. Creative essays help all students to show the school who you are as a person and what kind of student they can expect. It’s actually hugely important especially with holistic reviews.

Know I get that. But so is being put under pressure and having to perform. I am in no way saying standardized tests are end all - be all. I am just saying that currently, you don’t even have to submit and that probably is not right either (COVID problems excused). Its just a part of the holistic overview.

There are many schools that don’t offer Aps and their highest math is maybe pre calculus and those students get accepted to Michigsn also.

They need qualified teachers to teach the Aps which requires money. My son’s school which is public but one of the tops in Chicago had basically all the Aps offered. His school was an all honors /Ap school. No regular classes

Exactly!! It shows how the school/college won’t penalize you for not having the resources at your disposal. My school isn’t offering AP Calc AB this year like they normally do, but up until this point, it hasn’t been an issue because it’s something about my curriculum that is out of my hands.

Nationally the data shows that private school teachers get paid less than public school teachers. Really 20% less. This is 10 year old data, but govt data: https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2014/article/teacher-staffing-and-pay-differences.htm

How are decisions released? In the portal? Via email?

1 Like

Very likely email to go check the portal.

when will decisions be released for ea?

Check your portal, unless they change it up this year. An email follows hours after the portal has been updated.

1 Like

This is anecdotal so take it how you will. But in my experience as a low income student who goes to a under-resourced public school (I go to a school right outside of Detroit) who knows lots of kids at private schools, it comes down to resources. Resources that my school doesn’t have that another does. Those resources may not be distributed in teacher salary but they are distributed in class material (We are using textbooks from decades ago), class sizes (most of my classes are 30+ kids), etc. Having more teachers for one subject area just for AP is a privilege that my school can’t afford.

5 Likes

Please check the previous answers on this thread (or you can use the search function). This question has been answered multiple times.

2 Likes

This is why you have a AO that knows your school assigned by Michigan. They have your school reports and if they take kids from your school already then they know the classes and rigor. They can also follow how those students do at Michigan over time to get an idea of how someone from your school should perform. I have said this a lot but will repeat. Be careful what you ask for… Michigan is a very tough school even for the best student. But of course you all will do great :blush::children_crossing::school:!

6 Likes

BY late January.”

One thing I forgot to mention is that a few of you, or maybe none of you, may be offered the Summer Bridge Scholars program:

Just an FYI. There’s usually one or two questions about this program being offered every year.

3 Likes

Does anyone know how much they consider First Gen for OOS students or if it boosts application? I am a little under the average GPA (4.4W, around a 3.8 UW?). I’m hoping this will help. Applying for nursing.

It’s in the cds and don’t worry about your GPA. Your right there. They like first Gen. Good luck.

1 Like