UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

No it doesn’t

1 Like

Had the UMID been there the whole time ?

1 Like

ya I think it was always there

I did

Do you maybe know the average predicted grade a UMich admit usually has?

sadly no. it’s hard being an IB student applying because they never include IB stats on their website :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

My apologies if this was already answered… Does Michigan know what other colleges you applied to?

I am a high school teacher and my husband is a high school guidance counselor in a large, metro-Detroit school district. I find the conversation on “yield management” very interesting. My daughter was going to apply to a few Ivies or other T20 schools just to see what would happen, but ultimately decided not to. Based on the conversation here that may have been a good choice because applying to other top schools, just to see if you get in, may hurt you. This would definitely change the way students at my school are advised to apply for colleges. Am I interpreting the conversation right? And good luck everyone!

Michigan does not know where else you applied to.

1 Like

So, (based on what I’ve heard from those who know) U.Mich doesn’t practice yield management in the way others like U.Chicago do. They just don’t want to be treated as a backup school by OOS applicants. Therefore: high stats + out-of-state = high likelihood of EA deferral.
(Note: as @neela1 mentioned, they don’t know where else an applicant has applied but they’re making an educated guess based on the applicant’s profile).

But since you’re in-state this doesn’t apply to you/your school.

3 Likes

As well as Michigan parents whose child applied to OSU also because she has a snowball’s chance in heck getting into Michigan (raising my hand) :joy:

As someone who went thru this a few yrs ago with our first child, I’d say just don’t torture yourself over the date. In addition, our experience with the larger schools is that it can be hard for college admissions depts to manage all the apps and get decisions out at a promised time. It’s literally tens of thousands applications and now, with Covid, the task is even more difficult. Several of the larger state schools sent out notifications later than expected or staggered them by region.

1 Like

He applied Kinesiology. Hoping for the best! From what I hear, not too many are accepted from his HS. We’re OOS in PA.

Me too!! Where are you guys from in PA? I’m in Central PA, so there are little acceptances.

Your daughter did her homework-those are all strong schools for her major. My son applied to all of those except Syracuse (which is a great school for the major as well) when he was applying a few years ago. Good luck!

I really hope it comes out today because the amount of time I check the portal everyday is unhealthy :pensive:

12 Likes

Understood and agreed but it still does not make it fair for the qualified OOS applicant, at all. Who is to say that if admitted, the applicant is not going to choose UMich over another top college, say, Cornell or GT or UCLA - for whatever reason that may be highly specific/personal to each applicant? It is impossible to guess from the perspective of the AO. As a result of this game theory plotting however, what ends up happening is the destructive inflation in the number of applications - who is that good for? Good luck to all the applicants! These deserving kids need all the support and hugs we can give them.

8 Likes

I think the essays are fully under the applicant’s control and they should reflect the sincerity of such interest.

2 Likes

Thank you for the data! I think what she has achieved is amazing (certainly compared to her parents), and it is so hard to watch her hope and pray and compare herself to the Chance Mes with perfect stats and INSANE ECs and Awards.

2 Likes

Agreed UMich is not playing as many yield mgmt games as some other schools. A lot of that has to do with their newish EA notification timing, now that’s it’s well after the holidays they aren’t risking offering anyone a spot who was accepted ED elsewhere in Dec (assuming they pulled their Mich app).

3 Likes

thoughts on potential decision today?

2 Likes