UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

very much welcomed surprise but i don’t see it happening

2 Likes

I just called, they said by the end of the month. I asked if it was today and they said they could not say.

8 Likes

I feel like the portal change earlier this week was too much of a sign. I think it will happen today.

8 Likes

It is a little silly for them to say that they could not say if it is today.

6 Likes

Good luck to you too! I heard very strong likelihood for today!

2 Likes

does anyone know how common it is for decisions to drop on their respective weekdays after a portal change? Is it a sure fire sign?

1 Like

Even if it isn’t today… I wish you all the best!! It’s obvious that you’re all well-qualified applicants and Michigan is probably crying trying to choose between you guys. (I say this with all fingers and toes crossed that decisions come out today)

Worst case scenario, my ice cream party offer still stands. :wink: Seriously, good luck. Don’t stress yourselves out too much.

18 Likes

Based on my experience from 2 years ago, that is a very good sign. I think today is very likely.

3 Likes

Ok, I really WANT it to be today, but if they do have a huge volume of applications, then I would think they would want every last minute they could get. That being said, I’m sick of waiting so hope it’s today :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Besides indicating legacy in the common app profile or a strong “Why Michigan” essay, not sure what else an OOS applicant can do to express serious interest (if not 1st choice) to the school.

Continued interest letters only after deferral notice…

I have a hunch that it’ll be out today. Just a feeling.

4 Likes

i hope you’re right :pray:t3:

2 Likes

good luck to everyone!!! I can’t believe today may be the day

Agreed, but it’s not all that bad. I’ve heard that most of these high-stat deferred applicants will get accepted later if they continue to express interest.

Unfortunately for these high-stat OOS kids, stats and location will trump essays - as the AOs are expecting that these applicants have been well coached and will express strong interest in their essays. I know many of them are genuinely interested in UMich as a top choice but the AOs are disinclined to believe that, and will defer and reconsider in RD.

What do you expect them to say? They are instructed to remain neutral and they don’t know until it is going to happen. Like they don’t get a tip off. If they said yes then that would create a tidal wave of calls and expectations.

3 Likes

I am just amused. I understand. Not criticizing the person on the phone. Just trying to stay entertained by the situation. To keep the mood light.

1 Like

I remember someone saying they called last week and they said it definitely was not going to come out that night. different answer- obviously they can’t say yes but it really does sound like today is a possibility from that answer

4 Likes

I have a question for all UMich applicants who have by now also received an acceptance from a T20:

1. Are you actively considering choosing UMich over that T20?
  2. If not, have you withdrawn your UMich application?
  3. If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for your inputs. I am not looking to judge your choices - I am simply curious to hear actual scenarios and decisions.

(Feel free to DM me instead, if you prefer)

2 Likes

Essays are very important with strong grades and rigor. But you also have like 55,000 EA applications. So how does anyone pick since most if not all applicants are deserving? Luck has a lot to do with it also. Everyone I know personally or helped were stellar students, had great Ecs, and their essays were all unique, personal and interesting. So now we’re down to 40, 000 applications…lol…

Yes, they are indeed. What I meant was, an OOS student with strong grades and rigor - whom the AOs consider to be a likely and competitive candidate at a T20 - is going to have a higher probability of EA deferral. Then when they are reconsidered during RD, definitely the essays play a very important part.