UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I can honestly say I’m not sure.

Will Michigan send an email before to announce it? Or would students just have to keep checking their portals?

1 Like

I am anxiously awaiting a decision for my DD. We are OOS, she applied to CoE & didn’t send test scores. Hoping that doesn’t hurt things. She was deferred for GA Tech…her HS is one of the best in Georgia so we hear they limit acceptance from our county due to the high GPAs, test scores, etc. UMich is her number one & so we are hoping for the best.

I assume stating end of January buys them time to get through as many applications as they can without the pressure of a hard date. With Umich being test optional this year (like many schools), there are more EA applications than ever. This is the trend at most schools offering EA.

How many are applying for sport management/Kines?

1 Like

We’ve been told this is not true by our counselor. She said that our rep is very forthcoming (basically, our counselor has prepped all of the kids with high stats that they are almost certainly going to be postponed), and has indicated siblings help with respect to the initial yield. Maybe it’s simply timing, and not eventual acceptance- that UM accepts EA at a higher rate because there’s a good chance that sibling will attend? Anyway… I know there’s been a lot of talk here about yield protection, but our regional AO has absolutely confirmed it to our GC.

1 Like

Oh, that’s interesting. I don’t remember anywhere in the app where it asked if they have a sibling there, but maybe there is a spot? Just wondering out loud how they even know if there’s a sibling currently enrolled - certainly not time to cross check every candidate for this, I wouldn’t think.

Legacy is not as important as it used to be. Many denied being legacy the last 3 years

Again, same comment around it being your top choice.

If you have a sibling there you simply modify your first sentence of your first essay to say - -

“Michigan is my first choice and if I am admitted I will definitely attend because my brother goes there and he absolutely loves it.”

1 Like

Admissions information about legacies at Michigan:

https://admissions.umich.edu/assets/docs/FAQs-EA.pdf

I can tell you from my experience on this forum, I seen and communicated with many legacy applicants who were rejected at Michigan. Now Stanford OTOH… :man_facepalming:

Also I suspect UM’s yield management is not really about not wanting to be someone’s second choice. They’re UM, I doubt they care. I think it’s more about needing to have the best knowledge of what their class is going to look like. If they suspect super high OOS stat students are likely not considering them as #1, then accepting them EA is a bit dangerous. I’m certian they have algorithms showing % of similar students who enroll, and the in-state or “reall good, not overwhelming” stat kids are likely higher enrollees than the silly high 1590, 4.0 kids. Provides greater comfort in hitting enrollment goals, and a smoother pathway in RD decisions.

I have both son S22 & daughter D22 (twins) applying EA. So its anxiety x2 for our house!
Does anyone have any comments/experience on how UMich handles twin applications?
In the UMich app they asked if a sibling is also applying and if that sibling was a twin, so they must care. Even anecdotal evidence that you have seen on CC (for other schools) is appreciated. They have lots overlap in the schools they are applying to.
They both have strong #s and are OOS CA.
S22: 4.38/4.0; 1560 SAT; 6 APs; Solid ECs; Major CS (CoE)
D22: 4.21/4.0; 1540 SAT; 5 APs; Solid ECS; Major EnvironSci ( LSA)

I have fingers crossed on both hands!
Thanks for any insights.

2 Likes

Two things can equally be true.

Michigan does manage yield, but so does UCLA, for example. UCLA has increased their yield to almost the level of Michigan’s yield (46% to 43% IIRC off the top of my head). And yet, as the stats that I posted above clearly indicate, Michigan still does admit high stat applicants in EA.

Our best friends have twins that applied ED to Wash U two years ago. Similar stats. Daughter accepted, son rejected. Son is loving life at Emory, daughter transferred to Vanderbilt and is happy. On decision day…all seems so important, but often is far away from the eventual happy landing spot! Good luck!

1 Like

Curious how many chose to still send scores regardless of Test optional?

1 Like

i did test optional … kinda nervous abt it but think the outcome would have been worse if I submitted my score (which is below umich average)

1 Like

got a 1330 on my SAT, and really did not want to go through the pain of taking it again, so i did not submit lol

Tough! CoE is obviously a slightly tougher admit than LSA. But I’ll go out on a limb and say they both get in. Not too many apps from twins over the years. No sampling from me that I can quote. :smile:

1 Like

I took my ACT one time and didn’t want to take it again lollll. I submitted my scores to all the schools I applied to though

Sure it’s solvable (like most tech issues) but maybe they’re not in a rush to do so on their state-budgeted dime especially since it’s only a one or two days a year issue. UCLA had around 140,000 applicants last year many of whom tried to access their decisions in those first 10-20 mins that the decisions came out leading to hair pulling results. Again, I’m guessing at the reason why there is no heads up. It could have nothing to do with server issues, at all, but I do know that crashing servers can be an issue at high-volume universities. That’s why some schools send their admission decisions in batches over a period of time rather than releasing them all at once all on the same day and time. Who knows…