UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Someone mentioned up thread that there are 53,000 EA apps this cycle. I don’t know if that’s correct or not, since we have no official confirmation of that #. But last year there were 55,000 EA apps so it sounds plausible.

Pre-pandemic, Michigan accepted 7,500-8,000 EA apps of the total acceptances of 16,000. Michigan may accept a few more (or not) this year, but I’m willing to bet that Michigan will postpone a lot more than 50% of the EA apps, because that’s what they typically do. I’d guess they’ll postpone 30,000-35,000 +/- EA apps.

Like a lot of schools, Michigan has an admissions algorithm or algorithms. I don’t think postponements have anything to do with “professionalism” or the lack thereof IMO. As I’ve mentioned before, they have multiple schools (CoE, LSA, Kinesiology, Nursing, SMTD, Taubman, STAMPS, etc.) and they’re balancing in-state/OOS, OOS/International geography, gender, 1st Gen, Go Blue guarantees, recruited athletes, etc.) to enroll and fill.

And the # of postponements will depend a lot on how many 2/1 RD apps were submitted too. Not too many of them, then more EA acceptances. A boatload of them, then less EA acceptances. Usually, it’s about 25,000 2/1 RD apps.

3 Likes

Questoion for those who have a ‘Friend Account.’ I am seeing an additional “Student Business” box that I have not seen before, in addition to the “New and Prospective Student Business” menu box. When I click on the Student Business tab it says Access Denied. I dont remember seeing a “Student Business” tab there before. Anyone else?

The student business tab has always been there.

3 Likes

I dont remember seeing a “Student Business” tab there before. Anyone else?

It was there before.

2 Likes

thank you for confirming!

This honestly left me a little more confused.

1 Like

Could be!
Who knows?
There’s something due any day;
I will know right away,
Soon as it shows.
It may come cannonballing down through the sky,
Gleam in its eye,
Bright as a rose!

Who knows?
It’s only just out of reach,
Down the block, on a beach,
Under a tree.
I got a feeling there’s a miracle due,
Gonna come true,
Coming to me!

Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something’s coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something’s coming, I don’t know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great!

With a click, with a shock,
Phone’ll jingle, door’ll knock,
Open the latch!
Something’s coming, don’t know when, but it’s soon;
Catch the moon,
One-handed catch!

Around the corner,
Or whistling down the river,
Come on, deliver
To me!
Will it be? Yes, it will.
Maybe just by holding still,
It’ll be there!

20 Likes

hat tip to the great Stephen Sondheim

4 Likes

Was just told it will definitely not be today via chat

5 Likes

https://lsa-umich.academicworks.com

I am able to fill out the general application for LSA scholarships.

Is there a specific site for Ross scholarships?

But does that mean it will it be the 31st or sooner like Friday

It’ll most likely be Wed-Fri

Do you know if they take the withdrawn ED apps out of their yield? It seems like they would still count them bc it would be advantageous for their yield. Also, my kids have never applied ED anywhere, they only apply in state, so my question is- do ED students, once accepted, really take the time to withdraw their aps from other schools? It would be a nice courtesy if they did, but are there any ramifications if they don’t. The University’s wouldn’t know, would they?

I wrote this on 11/16/2021 here on this thread and it’s still true today. :smile:

8 Likes

unfortunately very true haha

Many, many students wait till May 1st to make a decision. That is a problem for all schools and why their are wait lists etc.

There is no application for Ross scholarships. They are automatically awarded.

1 Like

Mine withdrew all his apps within 48 hours of an ED acceptance. I truly think most do, but I have no doubt that there must be some who want to wait and see

6 Likes

My daughter (2020) also withdrew all of her apps within a couple of days of receiving her ED acceptance. That’s what she agreed to do and what is fair to schools and other candidates.

6 Likes

There’s a whole thread elsewhere on CC regarding this topic. It’s based on an honor system - successful ED applicants are expected to withdraw their other applications but the college has no way to verify they actually did that. GCs at some high schools track ED applications+acceptances and enforce compliance but many GCs are simply too overloaded to be able to do this. So if someone wants to break the honor code, unfortunately they can get away with it.