UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

This is what she said:
I actually just checked the portal and it has changed slightly, it now says decisions should be out soon.

1 Like

Itā€™s been mentioned that expect a high dose of deferrals in the EA pool. Do you think EA deferral % will be lower for CoE than the other areas? Generally, ā€œhighā€ stat/profile CoE kids have a limited range of higher ranked schools they would be considering (vs. the LSA and other areas). If thatā€™s true, then wouldnā€™t admissions want to get them in EAā€¦and maximize yield?

No change to my portal

5pm: no change here

same its looking like later in the week

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

Strange. Iā€™m guessing she might be paraphrasing since everyone else is seeing the same screen they have for two days, but if not - great! That would mean progress!

Who knows- tomorrow could be the day!

Honestly, based off 2020 I would say very high deferral rate for COE for OOS.

I still have the black screen on the umich portal

No. Lots of high stats COE applicants deferred last year on CC. These same kids are applying to schools with the same or more prestige than Michigan ā€¦ and they are also the same kids that are getting great merit at other schools. And EA is non-binding, so accepting them doesnā€™t really mean they will attend.

3 Likes

Donā€™t believe rumors. If it comes out it will be global and not local. You will all know when it comes out. There will be no question about itā€¦

2 Likes

hmm. ok. The logic behind the ā€œwhyā€ then breaks down for me. What risk are they trying to avoid?

okā€¦ got itā€¦ thx

nor does my DD :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As an example at my son school 44 got accepted to Michigan. Only 12 went. Others got merit /more affordable options.

You need close to the avg of 3.9 unweighted with 34 act for engineering. Any close to that. These are all great students,getting other great offers also. Many donā€™t get the financial aid they thought they would etc so they make other choices.

2 Likes

For 2020-2021 (Class of 2024) in round numbers:

CoE: 4,000 acceptances, 17,000 apps = 24%
Overall: 17,000 acceptances, 65,000 apps = 26%

CoEā€™s acceptance rate (and probably the deferral rate) is fairly close to being representative to the overall freshman class in 2020-2021.

One caveat, the 2021-2022 (Class of 2025) admissions cycle had 80,000 apps (+15,000), but we donā€™t have a detailed breakdown yet. But the acceptance rate for the Class of 2025 decreased to 20% (16,000 acceptances, 80,000 apps).

And many pages ago, I pulled the stats for 15 EA acceptances for the Class of 2025. A VERY SMALL SAMPLE. Two of those 15 EA acceptances were for CoE. Hereā€™s their stats:

Post #2546: uwGPA 3.90/1,600 SAT
Post #2831: uwGPA 4.00/ 36 ACT

So, high stat students do get accepted in EA. And theyā€™re deferred too. Michigan doesnā€™t defer all the high stat students.

1 Like

May I ask what state you are in?

And speaking of deferrals, Iā€™ve been perusing the Ohio State 2026 thread and Iā€™m seeing a lot of deferrals over there. Like everyone today seems to have been deferred.

1 Like

Heā€™s in IL, I believe the Chicago area.

1 Like