UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

So those numbers indicate to get in EA you have to be near perfect academically (OOS) and chances are low ( which is similar at most top schools who offer EA). For schools who offer ED/ED2 and EA EA admissions are very low as schools want those who will commit to increase yield. It’s the reason schools like U Chicago and others offer those EA who were deferred to RD a chance to ED2. U Mich is different with only an EA, so the EA decision has less to do with yield though its likely they would only flat out accept top students to increase yield ( though there is also a big chance many of these top students would go elsewhere too affecting their yield)

Wow! I have heard that UMich doesn’t give a lot of merit to OOS. Does anyone know more about OOS merit there?
That is a nice award of $20k! Congratulations and glad that your child is having a great experience.

2 Likes

also nj and waiting on first three… good luck! All be over in a week… or not…

2 Likes

awesome work… appreciate it @sushiritto!

guess it’s gonna be a crapshoot for the high stats kids, regardless of line chosen. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s why it is better to be a low stats kid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Cgod! Best wishes to your kid as well. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Actually curious what people think is the threshold for high stats for U Mich. Would that be the 75th percentile mark that is reported?

Yes, I’m thinking 1550+, 3.9+, lots of rigor, etc. Which is ridiculous because once you hit 1500, how much difference is there REALLY? IDK. Craziness.

1 Like

DD has near perfect grades, pretty high but “could have been more” rigor, and pretty average test scores (average for Michigan, not for the country). Her essays were off the charts though. Really funny. Documenting this right here…if she gets in, it was because she was really really funny. I’ve always wondered if essays can push you over…if she gets in, they did. Having low expectations makes reading this board really fun. best of luck to all of you.

2 Likes

There was a large group of applicants who seem to have been overlooked for some unknown reason during the EA evaluation. OSU Admissions posted yesterday that they were aware of the problem and would work to get decisions out ASAP. And then today they seem to have deferred everyone in that group. No communication, no explanation.

1 Like

what do you mean by this

Some people at my school (I’m at an in-state feeder school) are saying UMich will release decisions on Friday at 3:30pm EST :thinking:

Seems to be an “I heard X from Y” deal, but the numbers are mostly in-line with past years…

1 Like

How come?

I am just kidding a little bit. To the extent that if you are a very high stats kid you may be deferred due to yield mgmt issues, it may be a bit better not to be at the tippy top. I could be wrong as some on this board seem to think. From a far away distance (OOS) UM sometimes appears to behave that way.

@RajS A few years ago, I went to an evening admissions session at our local public HS where that night a Stanford admissions rep was there giving a talk. He told us that Stanford rejects 70% of the perfect stat kids. He said Stanford wasn’t interested in a freshman class filled with 4.0’s/1,600’s/36’s.

Of course, Michigan is not Stanford, but I’m sure most of the top tier schools assemble their classes similarly. They want students who are interesting and will contribute in some way to the university.

5 Likes

I agree! Test scores are important, but what ultimately is going to differentiate two candidates are their values and contributions to their communities!

5 Likes

Lsa avg is 3.9 unweighted with 32-35 Act and engineering is 3.93 with 34 Act. So basically the Lsa could fill most engineering schools on grades alone. So ya better have something more then grades. Yes, people with lessor get in, no question. The reviews are holistic for a reason. The students I have met at Michigan and even when my wife went there in the early 80s, knowing lots of friends that went there is their looking for the same type of students. They want people involved in their school for the most part. This is what makes any school great. Different opinions and ideas and working together. Add in grades and rigor to boot.

5 Likes

After this whole process, I hope that I will finally realize and understand that test scores simply aren’t everything. Thank you for all of your responses!! They are very much appreciated.

3 Likes

Np. It’s a stressful time. But just looking at my son’s friend’s mostly in engineering. Most were doers. All active on campus and did well in school. All got great internships and went on to graduate school or great jobs last year. It’s worth what your going through now… Doesn’t seem like it but it is…

But some here will find out over the next 3 months. So it’s a “Slow Ride”

Uh Oh… Sorry but have to do this…

Slow Ride Foghat Slow Ride - Google Search

does demonstrated interest plays a role in Umich. If so, what is the best way to do it virtually.