UMichigan Class of 2027 Official RD Thread

So do they reject EA?

Even RD students is asked to submit loci, I suppose that is their way of doing yield protection a little bit. I donā€™t knowā€¦we will have to wait to seeā€¦

Itā€™s true at some colleges that there is a massive difference between EA/ED and RD admission ratios. U of Maryland comes to mind as an examples. I saw stats published somewhere recently for UM that was something like 22% for EA and 18% for RD, so if accurate thatā€™s not nearly as large a spread, unless it changes this year.

2 Likes

From last year
Yield, which refers to the number of students who accept an offer to enroll, also remained high, with 77% of in-state, first-year students and 89% of in-state, transfer students who were offered admission deciding to enroll. Out of around 55,000 applications

Just less then 90,000 total applications.

In theory EA counts for about 1/2 the class of around 7,000-7,200

No one ā€œhasā€ to do a Loci according to their own website Postponed Applicants FAQ | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

But if itā€™s me it should of been in already. Showing interest means showing interest. Waiting till March whatever is really not showing serious interest in my view.

Tomorrow is March 1stā€¦ See April is almost hereā€¦ :joy:.

It doesnā€™t make a difference if your accepted now or in April. Itā€™s still an acceptance. But for now. Look at all your options and find out things you like about each of them. Clubs /activities /classes /pizzaā€¦ You should be narrowing down your lists.

You will all end up somewhere great.

1 Like

Except they ask for an update and people may be waiting for info to add before the deadline. Why have a mid-March deadline if they want people to submit it sooner? That would amount to trickery really, which would seem pointless.

Would the majority of RD applications be from OOS and International and EA Postponed since, UM should be first application for the instate applicants. What would be the yield rate for OOS and International?

So in the past they never wanted a Loci. But people kept sending in stuff to them. This became just an exercise of putting that in the personā€™s file times like 25,000 applicants. Lots of work. So a few years back Michigan created their own Loci and rules. They gave a deadline. The question I have for you (rhetorical) is why set a deadline when on their own site it says you donā€™t even have to do one? This is because if they donā€™t people will still send on stuff they donā€™t want or need. If they require something like grades, trust me they will ask you for it. This is just an excerise since so many people would do it anyway. Do they even read them?? Donā€™t know. But they do know that you sent one since itā€™s logged into your file. Many get accepted without doing one also.

My take on most college apps is. Leave nothing blank and nothing is optional even when they tell you it is. If they ask you for something. Send it in now. If you cure cancer or do something so above. You can still let them know.

Good luck.

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s published @sushirittoā€¦ Do you have those numbers?

This is known.

2021-2022 Yield:

In-state 75%
OOS/International 33%

IIRC, for 2020-2021, roughly 11,000 +/- apps were in-state and 69,000 +/- were OOS/International. So, yes, Iā€™d agree with you and assume most of the RD apps are OOS, not only because of total volume of each, but I think most Michigan residents would likely apply EA.

1 Like

Thank you for the details. This helps understand the chances of an acceptance in RD (after postponed from EA) bit better.

1 Like

I made a correction to my post above.

The rough app #'s are from 2020-2021 cycle, not 2021-2022. But the 2021-2022 yield %'s are correct. Apologies.

For the 2021-2022 cycle there were approx. 84,000 apps.

Hey I donā€™t know if this was posted already, but I just checked and the 2022-2023 CDS is posted:

ETA: Those waitlist #'s are crazy big.

Offered waitlist: 21,000
Accepted place on waitlist: 15,000 (72%)
Accepted from waitlist: 77 (1%)

3 Likes

And for the 1st time, maybe ever, alumni relation (i.e., legacy) is now ā€œNOT CONSIDERED.ā€ For as far back as Iā€™ve researched, that box was checked ā€œconsidered.ā€

Also, OOS % of the freshman class ticked down a notch from 45% to 44%. Not big by any means, but itā€™s a change (decrease).

Oh that waitlist number is highā€¦20 out of 84, that is like 25% of the total applicants. So they accept 20% around, and waitlist 25%? I donā€™t have any idea how other universities offer the waitlist, this 25% feels very highā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. Both the overall acceptance rate and yield rate improved by 2% over the previous cycle. Good for UMich.

But the men vs. women admission numbers in C1 look a bit strange to me - they offered admission to a much larger number of men, but a much larger number of women actually enrolled, making the yield rates for men vs. women 36% vs. 62%ā€¦?

1 Like

That waitlist is crazy and strings way too many along. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

How does the wait list string anyone along? Itā€™s a choice to accept it or not. I am sure those 77 people were happy about it.

2 Likes

because many of the thousands who dont get off the list (and who do commit elsewhere bc they have to) still hold out hope in their minds, sometimes until late summer. I know they chose to be on the list but that is an excessive list to keep based on stats of how many they typically take. They could shave it down by thousands and still have a big cushion.

5 Likes

I agree, itā€™s hard to hope to get invited off a waitlist. Because itā€™s not a likely scenario - by the numbers. Not impossible- but not likely. However- Iā€™d like to think that when they invite you to the waitlist - they are telling the student they had the credentials to be at Michigan.
Itā€™s a consolation - but it is also a message that the student can feel confident about themselves.
And it I s in UMā€™s best interest to invite everyone who could be on the waitlist to be on the waitlist. Otherwise- where would they cut it off?

Life will be full of disappointments and rejections. But of those events come new opportunities. I stand by the idea that if you are a real candidate to attend Michigan - you have at least 100 other options out there. Find one you like and run with it. Michigan is still there for future opportunities- transfer, grad school, etcā€¦or maybe that waitlist will come thru.

Butā€¦ Lolā€¦ At the point of being wait listed you should already have moved on and get excited about the schools that loved you back. Wait list decisions can go to late June or later. So again, decide which school is a more ā€œrealisticā€ option and move forward. To me, staying on a wait list is sorta just a surprise and then another option. Lots of people stay on wait list to several colleges just to see.

You have to May 1st to make your choice. Anything after that is pure luck especially with those odds.

Staying on the wait list is a decision. Also not staying on it is one also.

Itā€™s on their website so no one should be surprised but I totally get what you are saying.
Waitlisted Applicants FAQ | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

1 Like