UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Your placement of international vs. American, should be, if I’m not mistaken, based on your passport (i.e. being an United States citizen), not the school you went to.

Each program may be a little different and their website or by calling will usually tell you very easily if you are eligible.

You will have to interview as these programs are VERY competitive, and with programs that are essentially giving you an M.D. acceptance - they will want to meet you.

From what I’ve heard, Brown University’s PLME doesn’t ask you to come for interviews. Is this true?

And also, do you know what the average ACT score is of those who get accepted to this program?

Please see the PLME website: [Brown</a> Program in Liberal Medical Education](<a href=“http://bms.brown.edu/plme/Admission_to_Program.html]Brown”>http://bms.brown.edu/plme/Admission_to_Program.html)

Radracer,

Where ever life takes you I wish you all the best, however, if you end up in medicine I certainly hope you grow up and show the maturity that the profession requires.

Since you continue to take personal digs at me; UMKC was not the only M.D. school I got into nor did I “have” to apply to a D.O. program. I had interviews at Mizzou, MCV (VCU), East Tennesee, Tulane, KU, and West Virginia. Of those schools, I had an acceptance at one and was waiting to hear from the others when I enrolled at UMKC in January (when MD Onlys start) and withdrew my applications from all other M.D. schools (as you are required to by AMCAS). I also interviewed and was accepted at KCUMB (in Kansas City). Since my wife is a graduate student in Kansas City, my first priority was getting into a medical school in Kansas City, and as a resident of Missouri, I’d rather pay instate tuition for my degree. I was never terribly concerned with the letters after my name, but I can see the matter is of vital importance to you.

I don’t particularly feel the need to validate myself to you, but I am tired of you assuming that you know something about me when you obviously don’t.

Good luck in college. Hopefully it will afford you the opportunity to grow up a little. Arrogant people tend to be dangerous no matter what profession they find themselves in.

To all the people that got accepted congratulations and good luck.

To all the people that got rejected, keep your chin up. You will have another shot at medical school and if you want to get into medical school badly enough, will.

Kallistos,

I am scrolling through, so apologies if someone has already answered this. No UMKC MED Student is in ROTC that I am aware of, and I don’t even think they would be eligible for it.

I have some perspective on this since I was an ROTC student in college and served as an Infantry Officer in Hawaii and Afghanistan before leaving active duty and going to Medical School. Medical Students who are uniform-bound enroll in the Health Professions Scholarship Program which pays for your medical school and commissions you while you are in school (so you are paid as a 2LT in medical school) and you pin on Captain when you graduate. I have several friends as UMKC and KU that are doing this.

[Health</a> Professions Scholarship Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Professions_Scholarship_Program]Health”>Health Professions Scholarship Program - Wikipedia)

(I linked via Wiki so you wouldn’t get a recruiter’s schpeel.)

As for joining the military itself, my advice to anyone who wants to join the military is to join because you want to serve and not for the money. I joined because I wanted to be a Platoon Leader and go to Ranger School (modest goals). Upon completing that, I left and went on to greener pastures. At any rate, the military will always get more out of you than you do out of it, financially speaking. Make sure you look at your actual time commitment (to include the IRR/Reserve component) and know exactly what you are getting into before you sign any papers.

If you want to be military Dr. for all the right reasons, that is great they are sorely needed. Make sure you also keep the Uniformed Services University for the Health Science in mind if you go the conventional route.

[Uniformed</a> Services University of the Health Sciences](<a href=“http://www.usuhs.mil/]Uniformed”>http://www.usuhs.mil/)

hey HappytoGraduate,
I’ll also be getting an internship in a psyhcologist’s office at a university.
Would this help raise my chances of getting accepted?

How many universities do you think I should apply to?
To how many did YOU apply (since I know that you’ve graduated from UMKC)?

And also, I’m thinking of taking SAT chemistry subject tests since it is a requirement for some univeresities. Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I, instead, do the SAT Reasoning Test?

Many thanks.

Back when I applied, there really weren’t that many, so I only applied to one that I had actually heard a friend of a family member apply and get into - UMKC. Now they have increased in number by far, whether it’s the direct after high school or the early assurance route so there are MANY to choose from. Apply to as many as you would feel comfortable going to that undergrad and medical school.

A few of these programs DO require you to take the SAT II: Chemistry Exam so you’ll have to take that. As in the United States, some take the ACT and others take the SAT Reasoning Test, and since you took the ACT already, I don’t really see a need for you to have to take the SAT Reasoning Test.

I think also if you can find some local research opportunity to get involved in as well, whether at a local university or medical school, should help as well.

Hi, I was just wondering what are my chances of getting into this program.
Here are my stats:

Act-32
Gpa4.0 unweighted 4.3 weighted
Class rank-1-37( I know, small private school)
A.P. History-4
Taking A.P. Calculus,A.P. Human Geography,A.P. English, A.P. Government this year
Lots of ec’s
hospital volunteer hours-over 500

Are they still giving out interviews because I got an email a few weeks ago saying my app was on hold for further review and that they’d let me know of something within a few weeks, but I haven’t gotten anything. No rejection letter or interview notification.

i have heard absolutely nothing- no further review, no rejection, no notification, nada!
kind of nervous now

<a href=“http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/FAQs2009.pdf[/url]”>http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/FAQs2009.pdf&lt;/a&gt;

Well according to above:

“Applications are available in August. The application deadline is November 1 and interviews occur in January and February. Interviewed applicants are notified in March whether they will be offered admission.”

I called them they said I’m not getting an interview. It would have been nice for them to send a letter or email saying that though. They sent me an email last month saying they’d let me know shortly as my application was under “further review.” But they never sent it.

Sorry to hear that MetsFan09…It is rude to not let you know.

Hey guys,

I thought it would help all of you if I share some of my thoughts on this campus and program in general. I went to UMKC for an interview on Feb. 23rd.

When I first went to the campus, I was very “hiped-up” about the 6-year program. However, I did encounter some disappointments.

The campus itself is not that great, and the medical center’s facilities need a COMPLETE renovation. It seemed like I went to a med school in a third-world country rather than a school that was supposed to be very prestigious in the midwest. Perhaps I am little biased because I am from Nebraska, and its home to one of the best medical schools in the country- UNMC (ranked 20 according to US World News Report). After volunteering and working at UNMC as a high school student, I was very used to the high caliber professors, the number of research opportunities, the type of patient care, etc. I also visited such medical schools as Mayo, Hopkins, Creighton, WashU, and I had the same expectations for UMKC. However I was greatly disappointed.

The professors are mediocre. The basic sciences curriculum at UMKC is not the best. In fact, my interviewer warned me about it. He said that he himself went through an 4+4 traditional program, and when most med schools spend like 6 months on Biochem, UMKC spends 6 weeks. So, a lot of the material is cut-down. This WILL hinder us future doctors from becoming great physicians. However, UMKC provides resources for those who want to go the extra mile. But, common people, how many of us will actually sit-down and memorize more biochem pathways that you will NEVER be tested over in your class? Probabiliy of that is very low.

When I asked about the research opportunities they had, the personnel informed me that there were barely any, if at all, available for medical students. THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM. If a medical student were to enter a competitive field, let’s say Ortho., and their board scores were average, most residency programs look if they had done any research to counterbalance their average scores. If they have no publications, it could certaily pose a problem. Furthermore, if a medical student were to decide to pursue research after medical school, they are screwed.

Some of the positives about this school are: the faculty is very nice, and its students are mature. They seemed very laid back and not very cut-throat. In some medical school I visited, for ex. WashU, the medical students DREAD talking to their professors or their docent. This is NOT present at UMKC. Professors intermingle with their students very well. They can ask them questions without being scared. The clinical experience here is just plain amazing. You WILL learn information that some med. students won’t experience until their residency. That’s a big + for this school.

Another thing that I noticed was that most of the students are from Missouri, so some of them did not experience any other medical schools other than UMKC. So, they automatically assume that UMKC is the best one around because they don’t know any others. I think this is one reason why this program is looked so highly in MO/KS area.

As far as finances go, if you are out-of-state, you must be crazy to go to this school. You will pay 70000 dollars from your pocket where you might not get the best education possible. This is what I can say, most of you who matriculate into this program have the caliber to go to a 4+4 route, and end-up at much better schools than UMKC, so why rush it? I mean, even if you rush things, you will end-up working for the rest of your life. Why not study a little more and have fun being a student, rather than becoming part of the working field so soon?

For me, I would go to this school if I actually get in because I am an immigrant and I will leave America after my education. The faster I get my degree, the faster I can be with my family, and most importantly UMKC will give me a better education than FOREIGN med schools. That’s my only reason.

So, for all of you out there, please please visit other medical schools other than UMKC and base your opinion keeping those schools in mind. Most importantly, residency programs are NOT going to care you graduated from a 6 year program because your transcripts will NOT state it…unless they look very closely. So, since UMKC is not very prestigious outside of its own area, you WILL face some problems.

Since all of you have the caliber, what do you think is better, graduating from Mayo or Brown or Missouri-Kansas City?

I hope some of the stuff I stated here reflect well positively and negatively upon this university.

I’ve recently started volunteering at a hospital. How many hours do any of you think would be sufficient to get the adcoms’ attention? I read from a different forum that the average volunteer hours those who get accepted to the program get is 400 hours. If this is true,then I would basically have to start living in a hospital…!!!

Thank you hoping1991 for your thoughts and insights.

Does anyone know if UMKC has an AOA chapter? I thought I’d read somewhere in these posts that it didn’t, but here (<a href="http://www.umkc.edu/medicine/sa/Residency%20Match%20Documents/Student’s%20Guide%20to%20Match%202.pdf[/url]"&gt;http://www.umkc.edu/medicine/sa/Residency%20Match%20Documents/Student’s%20Guide%20to%20Match%202.pdf&lt;/a&gt;) it says year 5’s should apply for membership.

I couldn’t find any webpage for it, but it was listed as a UMKC affiliated organization on the student organizations page.

Anyone know for sure?

Blackbelt,

UMKC has an AOA chapter.

Hoping, thanks for your perspective, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Good luck to you wherever you end up.

For what is it worth, the 6 years take an entire semester of medical biochem prior to entiring the Med School. In the Med School there is only a few hours of instruction. However, in comparison to some other curriculums, many of UMKC’s basic science courses are compressed.

Just to add to the post of hoping1991, actually those who enter the six year BA/MD program take Human Biochemistry I during the fall semester of Year 2, as stated on previous posts in this thread.

The interviewer whom hoping1991 was an MD only student (not a 6 year student) probably came in doing only the premed requirements (Biochemistry is not a premed requirement for all schools, at least not currently). Thus the MD-only students who come in the Spring of Year 2 who haven’t had any Biochemistry, are required to take a one month Biochemistry board review class - in which they probably just go through a board review book like Lippincott’s Biochemistry for example. Theoretically, MD onlys could take the actual Biochemistry class later if they wanted to, but they would have to enroll in a campus semester (5 months) - when they’ve already finished their bachelor’s degrees already - which would be a waste when they could just enroll in more clinical electives. Just wanted to clear up that one aspect, just in case there are high schoolers who may be confused.

Good job, though on thoroughly investigating the program before you are locked in, and finding out for yourself what opportunities are and are not available at UMKC.