UMN vs. UW-Madison.. College Life

<p>I got into into the Institute of Technology at UMN and the Engineering school at UW. Their ranked together for my major, so the only thing that's keeping me from making a decision is the college life. So could you all tell me where the college life is better. Moreover, which college has better dorms?</p>

<p>There's another thread here called does the campus feel like a campus which will give you some views. Also read the threads on UW housing, a lot of variety in style and location. UW has the best meal plan- eat in any Res Halls food service place, just about any time of day or night, and have no minimum food plan; plus the variety. Also the lakeshore path, the lake, Picnic Point, State St...</p>

<p>you are in the same situation as I, so I recommend doing a search for my threads on this forum and the city data forums as I have made a few posts about this (wis mentioned one of them).</p>

<p>I still haven't decided, however, I'll be visiting UW-madison in a week, and then again at the end of that week for my Forensics state meet. After that, I make my final decision. :-)</p>

<p>do post how it is. From what I've heard, UW has a better reputation. So, I'm more likely to go there. But I've heard that the college life isn't so active and that Madison is not that exciting of a city. I just hope they're wrong</p>

<p>It's what you make it out to be...</p>

<p>Though, considering all the people I've been talking to, there seems to be an overall greater enthusiasm towards Madison. I like theater and things like that, so in terms of things to do in that regard, there is more in Minneapolis, but there is a ton of it in Madison also. Minneapolis does have more to do, but there are a bunch of things to do in Madison also. I will tell you, DO NOT BASE YOUR DECISION OFF OF REPUTATION. Unless....no other things are helping you make your decision. In terms of quality of education, you will most likly get the same education at either school. Wisconsin, is regarded a little higher, but if you like Minnesota better, go there....you'll have the same opportunities.</p>

<p>personally, I could be happy at either place. There are things to do, lots of neat people, both great schools, both big, both interesting areas, both the same price, etc. This is the reason I have been so stressed about choosing, however, I am leaning towards Madison at the moment (I will be visiting them next week twice for a college visit and Forensics State).</p>

<p>HOWEVER, from what I have found there are a couple advantages to each school.</p>

<h2>Madison</h2>

<ol>
<li> Better food....and cheaper! (Minnesota requires you get a meal plan and I hear there food isn't that great. Madison on the other hand has an ala-cart type system and their food is supposedly quite good).</li>
<li> More pretty spots (Minnesota also has some pretty spots though).</li>
<li> It's little more higher regarded...but not to the point where you should base your decision off of that factor.</li>
<li> The dorms all seem much nicer than Minneapolis overall.</li>
</ol>

<h2>Minnesota</h2>

<ol>
<li> It's the city! Tons of things to do (not that there aren't things to do in Madison).</li>
<li> More local opportunities for internships/co-op/etc (However, everyone I have talked to has told me about Wisconsin's great opportunities for this and I know people who have gone all over the place to do co-ops and internships...you won't have trouble getting these at either school realistically and you thus shouldn't make a decision with this info).</li>
<li> Campus is more isolated and separated from the city (visit both campuses...I haven't visited Madison extensively, but I haven't toured the campus enough to really comment).</li>
</ol>

<p>Really...it's a tough call...Go with whatever is cheaper if it's a factor for you, otherwise...good luck.</p>

<p>"But I've heard that the college life isn't so active and that Madison is not that exciting of a city. I just hope they're wrong"</p>

<p>That's lunacy. There is always something going on at multiple locations on and around campus. Active bigtime sports, outing club sports, political stuff, arts and concerts, films and lectures. There are usually dozens per day. Now Madison is not NYC or the like but you can walk from campus 4 blocks to a performing arts center as nice or nicer than any in NYC and see shows for less than half the NY prices. Sometimes people are just crazy in their unfounded statements.</p>

<p>This weekend's big event was the Wisconsin Film Festival--Around 200 films plus lectures etc.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.wifilmfest.org/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.wifilmfest.org/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>"But I've heard that the college life isn't so active and that Madison is not that exciting of a city. I just hope they're wrong"</p>

<p>I'm kind of curious who gave you that quote....I should tell my Forensics coach (who is a teacher at my school and attended Madison recently) that....she would probably start laughing.</p>

<p>regarding the dorms, I've noticed that Smith Hall and Ogg Hall are very decent. I'm just curious as to what it means by coed by cluster, coed by floor, and coed by wing. Also, which dorm has the greatest amount of freshman in it. And I've heard that sports are like religion at UW. So that means that a lot of events circulate around sports?</p>

<p>Yeah, a lot of stuff does circulate around sports. For example, on home football Saturdays if you walk down frat row you will see just how crazy the partying can get even by like 11 a.m. It is all centered around the game that day.</p>

<p>Both football and basketball are really big deals at UW Madison.</p>

<p>While it seems like everyone is going to the games in reality only about a quarter of students go to football games and even fewer to bball and hockey. Many are doing other things in smaller groups.</p>

<p>Do not worry about life in Madison for the nonsports person. Plenty to do for those into spectator sports, plenty to do for everyone else. Thousands of fans do not represent the majority of students, you can ignore them if you choose. Frat row is an insignificant off campus area in the eyes of most students. The band plays near the football stadium- Union South- before games and you can participate in the festivities even without going to games, but you can equally ignore any sports frenzy without feeling different. You will find your niche and people to share your interests, that's the diversity of a large campus.</p>

<p>Coed- think building layouts. Clusters would be for those with a cluster of rooms sharing a bathroom (Smith and Ogg). Wings would have two bathrooms on a floor, one for each gender. Some dorms have smaller floors with only one bathroom per floor, therefore single gender floors.</p>

<p>thanks guys. I've decided I'm going to Wisconsin, that is unless i get into Ann Arbor from the waitlist, which s unlikely considering the fact that I'm an international student. So Wiconsin it is. :)</p>