UNC unlikely letter?

I wouldn’t worry too about the letter, my daughter received the letter yesterday as did other highly qualified candidates. I read in an old thread, maybe it was this one that someone’s child received this letter and their kid did get in.

The letter means nothing. If you’re in-state, they might send it out because in-state families might overestimate their kids’ chances at a very selective school. A number of schools send out letters like this very early in the admissions cycle (waaay too soon to have put your kid’s application in a yes/no/maybe stack) to temper expectations. We got one for my alma mater when my D applied, right after she submitted her application (so, yes, a legacy school). She didn’t get in – but that’s because that admissions rate was something like 2-3% for women in the RD cycle. It had nothing to do with the letter, which was more about expectations management.

2 Likes

When DS applied to our alma meter (not UNC), we received a similar letter.

I had the feeling that the development office was acknowledging that they had "connected " with admissions and that they were also letting us know that admission would make the decision and that they were out of it. (Had we donated a building, perhaps they’d have stayed involved :wink:)

I imagine that this is a tricky spot for development as families that are turned down may sour on the school and quit giving. At the same time, they can’t suggest that they will give you an edge for the $ you have donated. These ambiguously negative letters are meant to fill that void.

received the letter today as well. Out of state.

1 Like

I also received that letter today! Neither of my parents are alum and I’m OOS.

Although UNC isn’t my top choice, it definitely made my heart drop. Such an annoying way for colleges to mess with our heads.

If it makes anyone feel better, we’ve not received an email or a letter (OOS, West Coast), so it clearly is not sent to everyone. Not fretting too much as UNC was a last-minute add to the college list and is not top of the list. No one from our public high school has ever been accepted so I would argue getting the letter is likely better than not getting the letter.