Underdog Applicant Acceptance Stories!

<p>Yeah, yeah, I know there are like a million of these out there already, but let’s face it…they give us hope in these dark times :)</p>

<p>Any underdog stories accepted, whether it be low GPA, (weighted or unweighted) low SAT’s, ACT’s, few/no Extracurriculars, few/no AP or Honors courses, bad essays, disciplinary issues, whatever really.</p>

<p>Looking forward to see what comes up :)</p>

<p>I’ll actually start with a friend of mine;</p>

<p>ACCEPTED: UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA: 3.9</p>

<p>AP’s: AP Environmental Science
AP Score: 3</p>

<p>SAT I: 1580</p>

<p>E.C’s: Volleyball team captain, ASB President</p>

<p>Meh essays, average community service.</p>

<p>Overall, somewhat average student, but got into UC Davis, definietly an above average university :D</p>

<p>Again, gives guys like me hope :)</p>

<p>And another friend:</p>

<p>ACCEPTED: UCLA, UC Davis, UCSC</p>

<p>Attending: UCLA</p>

<p>Ethnicity: Portuguese</p>

<p>GPA: 3.3</p>

<p>SAT I: 1680</p>

<p>NO AP CLASSES</p>

<p>But he applied for a theater major so not sure if this one really counts…</p>

<p>Someone got into Haas with a 3.4 but had 14 years of work experience. It’s sort of an underdog story but it just blew my mind considering 4.0’s with near perfect apps get declined. I was happy to see this person get in though.</p>

<p>14 years??? :open_mouth: jesus i have like two and i thought that was a lot haha, but damn 14 years…what did he even do start a business? Cause there is no way someone can go work an over -the-counter job at 4 years old…</p>

<p>I have a friend that’s going to Cal in the spring. He had a 1660 SAT score, 3.6 UC GPA (I believe he said he had around a 3.2 uw) and was in choir for 9 years. Granted, I don’t think he was applying for an impacted major and I never saw his essays to see how well-written they were.</p>

<p>Another friend who’s currently going to Cal told me that her older brother had an SAT score in the 1700s, 3.5 UC GPA and no ECs to speak of. He’s entering his sophomore year at UCSD. Again, I never saw his essays to know how well he wrote them. I know that he applied as a biochem major, which I believe is impacted there. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on that.</p>

<p>@xcruciat0r I think he/she was an older person maybe early 30’s? I’m fairly certain it was 14 years of business related experience. But so far 3.4 is the lowest i’ve seen accepted into Haas.</p>

<p>I really like this post. I mean I know these people probably have that little extra something but it’s very nice to hear that sometimes it’s not all about the numbers :)</p>

<p>I remember getting hope from these threads! Maybe I can help out too.
UCSB
GPA 3.7 SAT 1720
A few ECs, biggest being in ASB.
Have hope!</p>

<p>ah I thought this thread was in the transfer section</p>

<p>oops</p>