University Fellows Experience Questions

<p>My daughter received the letter that she is eligible to apply for the University Fellows Experience. Can someone please explain how that differs from the Honors College program?
What are the advantages to be gained from the UFE that cannot be gained from the regular honors program or even IHP?<br>
She is definitely applying for the International Honors Program, but is worried being a part of 3 honors programs would be too many. She realizes that it is extremely difficult to get into the UFE and wonders if it makes sense to apply when she has several other college essays that she has to work on along with her AP classes coursework.</p>

<p>UFE is within the Honors College. It is a unique and highly visible program at Bama. I would strongly urge your D to apply if it interests her. It would not be hard to complete the UHP requirements in addition to UFE. IHP is mostly study abroad and foreign languages so that shouldn’t interfere.</p>

<p>Many kids are in multiple programs.</p>

<p>I have the same question: “What are the advantages to be gained from the UFE that cannot be gained from the regular honors program?”</p>

<p>I see from the fellows website that there is a focus on mentoring, service, and internships. Is this the main point of the program, or am I missing something?</p>

<p>avery … the difference is the focused, structured, and and managed efforts the UFE devotes to community service projects. Only 25 kids have been chosen per year for this highly selective program, underwhich the students are provided the guidence and resources to make a real difference through their community service to underserved regions within Alabama. Through the larger UHP, each “honors” student is afforded the same opportunities relative to scheduling, HCA, committees, housing, etc. and in that respect all honors kids are the same, but each of the other HC programs IHP, CBHP, and UFE each have goals and programming that are “additional” to what is offered under the larger UHP umbrella. UFE is highly selective, but if you have a passion and a strong background for community service, then I encourage you to apply. Good Luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Are there particular classes associated with UFE or is it more along the lines of extracurricular service work? Thanks.</p>

<p>I have a question as well. Our high school sends a packet with transcripts that includes three recommendation letters (guidance counselor and two junior teachers). Does anyone know if the committee choosing UFE candidates would be privy to those letters that were submitted with transcripts for UA admission (by default thought they weren’t required)?</p>

<p>ParkTN: Did you see this link?<br>
[Honors</a> College - University Fellows](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=university-fellows-experience]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=university-fellows-experience)</p>

<p>I clicked on the freshman link at the bottom of the page. It mentioned a one hour class and some other things.</p>

<p>lattelady: I don’t know if they will forward those rec letters. Just call Jacqueline Morgan, head of UFE and ask your questions. Or just email. I have always gotten an answer to my questions.</p>

<p>Good luck to your children. </p>

<p>THE UNIVERSITY FELLOWS EXPERIENCE</p>

<p>Dr. Jacqueline Morgan
Director
291 Nott Hall
205-348-5574
<a href=“mailto:jacqueline.morgan@ua.edu”>jacqueline.morgan@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Wellon Bridgers
Coordinator
391 E Nott Hall
205-348-1393
<a href=“mailto:wlbridgers@ua.edu”>wlbridgers@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>I contacted the number listed above for Dr. Morgan. The person I spoke to thought the letters would be visible when they download the transcripts. </p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Glad they will see the rec letters.</p>