University Miami accept kids with drug problems

<p>At my kid school a young man was accepted this weekend ED at UM. If you were rejected or deferred you should call and find out why a kid with a record was accepted. He was in rehab, suspended, sent bum threats to his school. My kid decided to not attend UM.</p>

<p>Really? You really spent your time making a profile on here just to post this? I’m sure you may be bitter that your son didn’t get accepted into his school of choice, but come on…</p>

<p>Really, yes. And he did get into UM with money.
Not bitter, just concerned about the kids that were rejected. Maybe marinebio44 you should not think before you react.</p>

<p>And maybe you should think before you post as well. You don’t know this kid’s situation. For all you know, he may have an exceptionally high GPA or very high test scores. He may have a very compelling story. Is it really that bad that a person with drug issues in the past got in? Don’t you believe that people deserve a second chance? I’m just saying, you shouldn’t post about someone you don’t know. And yes, schools are going to make mistakes. With over 25,000 applicants, they’re bound to make mistakes. Could they have made a mistake with this particular student? Certainly. Does that mean that everyone and their cousins should stay away from the school at all costs? No… Posts like this have the potential of scaring away very good applicants that the school and the applicant can both benefit from. Think about the situation before posting.</p>

<p>I have a close friend who attends an extremely prestigious private university and has an addiction problem he struggles with every day. He’s absolutely brilliant and deserves to be at the school he attends no questions asked; not to mention he is one of the nicest guys around. Perhaps you should think a little bit before you pass judgement on a kid’s intellectual and social capacity solely due to a drug issue. I’m sure he and his family would take exception to such a thoughtless generalization, and as his friend, I do too, for that matter.</p>

<p>Please take your misguided generalizations elsewhere and think a little before you post again.</p>

<p>honestly, get a life.</p>

<p>Ethel:
While I think this student likely had high scores… GPA SAT’s to be accepted ED with merit, he must also be graduating from your school. </p>

<p>None of us know if UM knew this child’s history of rehab, suspension, threats to your school and neglected to deny this child entry based on this history or if your school GC left all this out of his recommendation. If UM was aware of all of this, I would think there is more to it than any of us know (letter from GC or other about this young man, etc. ) Hopefully, this student has straightened himself out. I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about UM without all the information (which we will never have).</p>

<p>Marine: This sounds like a child posting, not a parent.</p>

<p>It does, but I think they are, in fact, a parent. Unless I incorrectly translated “At my kid school” to “at my kid’s school”…</p>