University of Arizona

<p>just got my acceptance letter yesterday, and they gave me a $20,000 scholarship! :slight_smile: we’ll see how it compares to the other schools. go wildcats!</p>

<p>20,000 scholarship for what?</p>

<p>i’m guessing academics, because they gave it to me based on my application (i didn’t apply separately for it). it’s called wildcat excellence award I think, which they give to in-state applicants only i believe.</p>

<p>You might want to double check that figure mate, because nothing but National Merit Finalist - OOS exceeds $15k: [2011-2012</a> Terms and Conditions | Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid](<a href=“http://financialaid.arizona.edu/scholarships/terms/2011-2012]2011-2012”>http://financialaid.arizona.edu/scholarships/terms/2011-2012)</p>

<p>By the way…the + ipad stuff is sorta a joke. The awards last year were uniformly $1k more than they are now, so they try to entice you with an ipad that costs $600 and they get to pocket the $400 difference.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how these scholarships are determined for oos. There is not a lot of information on how they are awarded.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I don’t think there’s a set formula (published at least) for how they do it. I’d bet though it’s pretty much exclusively based on your high school GPA and SAT scores. Unless you’re looking at tier I schools where everyone has perfect GPAs and high SAT scores, “the whole package” really does just come down to those two numbers when I look back on the whole application/acceptance process.</p>

<p>From what I gathered talking to other freshman at the time, I think they try their hardest to get everyone with above-average stats at least <em>some</em> money (I heard lots of people in my fresh engr class getting 2k-6k for example). But I have no doubt there’s only a handful of the maximum amounts awarded (10k when I was accepted years ago).</p>

<p>And I also got the urge now to rant about how dumb National Merit scholarships are, but I’ll hold that one back.</p>

<p>UA Kid-it’s $20,000 over four years ($5000/yr)</p>