University of Delaware Admissions Fall 2022

That is so strange!! What was her intended major? I would definitely call if it is one of her top choices, very surprising!

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that! The only explanation I can think of is the foreign language requirement. Did she take 2 years of foreign language in high school? UDel doesn’t count foreign language courses taken before the ninth grade.

2 Likes

She has taken French since 7th grade and is in the college level dual enrollment french as a senior? I’m so confused. What should she say when she calls?

Her intended major was sociology. What should she say when she calls? Is it customary to call and ask why you were rejected?

I’m so sorry this happened to your daughter! One of the statistics that colleges are assessed on is the percentage of students that accept an offer of acceptance. I’ve read that colleges try to protect their yield by denying students with really high stats because they don’t think they will actually accept an offered spot. I don’t know if this is what occurred but it’s certainly a possibility since your description of her achievements is stellar.

6 Likes

It looks like she meets the foreign language requirement, so I’m not sure why she was rejected. You could just ask if there was some requirement that wasn’t met and if they would review. Usually, decisions are not changed but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

2 Likes

Does Delaware track Demonstrated Interest? If she didn’t show any, that could be it?

Sometimes you can ask your HS guidance counselor to call the university admissions and inquire. I would ask them to do that before I would have my kid call. Also, i know it does not help but this happens all the time. i know many brilliant kids that have been rejected from their safety schools. in the world of admissions you just don’t know what the true reason behind a rejection is. seriously i know kids who were accepted to Princeton and MIT that got some mind boggling rejections. if she has acceptances from great schools there is no need to weigh your mind with why?

2 Likes

I think so but we attended 2 virtual info sessions, signed up for emails and did a virtual tour.

That’s a great suggestion to have the counselor or career/college advisor from HS ask. They often have relationships with admissions officers.

2 Likes

I agree a call should be made and by your daughter to show continued interest. A call from a counselor would not add weight it may confirm their rejection. This simple call could flip the switch. . Is it possible something was missing in her application? I’m doubting this if she used the Common App esp with all her acceptances and scholarships but it’s something to check.
And yes rejections can and have been reversed

2 Likes

My mind is absolutely blown by this! I am sorry this happened. Even if it wasn’t her first choice, it’s still a blow to her ego after being such a high achiever. May I ask, did she submit test scores? If so, what were they?

2 Likes

She chose not to submit her scores. It definitely did sting!

That’s interesting. I’ve been struggling with the test optional decisions. Mine submitted her score (1300 SAT, good, not great, and the weakest part of her application) to most schools, including UD. It seems that in most instances, not submitting is a big advantage, though. If you get feedback from the admissions office, please let us know what they say.

Update: My daughter called and spoke with her admissions counselor. He went over her application and said he honestly could not see a reason she would have been rejected. He asked for more time and called her back a few hours later. So it seems she does not have the 3 years of science…even though she does. She was in accelerated classes and took her 9th grade earth science requirement in 8th grade. They won’t count it. The man she spoke with was very apologetic and said it was a very rigid denial especially since she was majoring in communications and not Stem. He asked if she wanted to appeal and she has decided not to. Thanks everyone for your input. At least we know why now. I suppose we missed that info somewhere. She’s been accepted to 9 other schools with scholarships and is waiting on a bunch more. Onward and upward! Good luck to everyone🙂

9 Likes

Got a Merit Scholarship today :slight_smile:

6 Likes

stats?

GPA: 3.2 uw (remote school was a disaster), 1 AP, some Accel, some CPA
SAT: 1350
Good Ec’s, but not great

She got accepted to some good schools (Temple, Clark, Ithaca), but UDel is in her top 3.

3 Likes

What do we know about decision release dates? Their website shows a decision release date for EA, but I don’t see anything for RD. The EA decisions seem to be coming out a little bit at a time. It’s nice that they’re not making everyone wait until the January 31 date on their website. Are they doing the same with RD? Have any RD applicants gotten decisions yet?

SAT: 1520
GPA: 4.18 W
State Residency: International

Applied date: 16/12/21
Decision date: 28/12/21
Decision/College: Psychology

Received a scholarship too which is exciting. Didn’t expect a decision that quick considering that the application was in the RD round.

2 Likes