University of Delaware - Distinguished Scholar

Distinguished scholars is basically for the top 100 applicants, many have Ivy League stats from what I can gather. There are live tours, just no buildings. My kids have been to UD because their sister attends, but not Pitt or most of the colleges they’ve been accepted to. My daughter was in the honors dorm, very nice, I think it’s the go to for tours. ETA I don’t think there was a weekend for honors students, just accepted students weekends.

1 Like

I’ve posted before about my D who was a duPont Scholarship awardee (Class of 2019). She was a Chem E major and had an excellent experience that she parlayed into an NSF GRFP Fellowship and is now in her second year of a PhD program at an Ivy.

Attending the Honors graduation service at UD was an amazing experience. So many kids had either locked in great jobs or grad school admits or other very impressive accomplishments.

7 Likes

Thanks for your post! My D just attended the DiScho events this weekend. While they had to hold the events virtually, I think they did a wonderful job connecting the prospective students to the professors, existing students and support staff to gain good understanding of the DiScho program and the school as a whole. They even had a zoom meeting for the parents so that we could ask questions. We all feel very comfortable with the support system they have established for these kids if our D decides to go there.

4 Likes

So glad you and your daughter enjoyed the Discho weekend! My daughter is a current discho and was very involved in the weekend so glad to hear it went well! I wish they would have had a parents session last year.

2 Likes

What is eligibility for distinguished scholar scholarship in university of Delaware?What’s their gpa and sat scores should be?

My son was chosen for this last year he had a 1520 sat and a 103 ish gpa. His class rank was #2. He had a FBLA National win and a couple of leadership positions. Although he chose a different school this scholarship was hard to pass up. Good luck!

2 Likes

I’ve heard of many top 2 in the class, 4.0 uw gpa, 35/36 act.

3 Likes

Do they need to be in sports?

I don’t think so, my daughter’s friend received one, no sports.

1 Like

My daughter received trustee scholarship from UD. 16k for 4 years . She didn’t receive any presidential scholarship. Do students receive both scholarships or not?
W gpa 4.27
Sat 1510

I think the only students who receive additional scholarships are those that get the highest scholarships and are in the top 100 with stats. They recalculate gpa since schools have different ways of weighting. Are you in or out of state?

In state.
When will we receive presidential scholarship information? Do you have any idea?

I don’t remember, but look for old threads from 2021.

1 Like

If your daughter received the trustee scholarship that is probably her final offer unless she is chosen as a distinguished scholar. Scholarships don’t stack so if she is chosen as a discho that scholarship will replace her current scholarship.

1 Like

They don’t need to be in sports and can be any major.

Awesome. What were his scores? Sat and gpa?

Is there a separate application or interview process for Distinguished Scholars?

No, they will be invited to attend a weekend (at least that’s how they did it before Covid). Very high stats are needed.

1 Like

Daughter is NMSF, 1540 SAT, 103+ W GPA. Hopefully that’s enough.

Good luck! What’s her class rank? It seemed like the uw4.0’s, 35/36 acts 1540+’s got invited. My daughter was 8th and only a 34, so no, her friend was 2nd and 35 and got an invite.