University of Florida Class 2026 Admissions

What was the process for the Summer internship class exemption?

Yes, true. Or, at least partially.

Looking at the UF course guide, the classes of with the recordings of live lectures are listed as “Online 80-99%” And, while the econ classes don’t have the same message as the accounting classes, I’m guessing that would be upated later. So, that’s helpful information.

But, MAC2234 & CGS2531 are listed as 100% online. And, they did not appear in the link you shared. I did find syllabi for both classes which affirmed they were both 100% online with no opportunity to attend in person.

Yes, my OOS S22 is out. I just wanted to post a thank you to those who shared information which indicated that a kid who is looking for a 100% in-person experience won’t be able to do that at Warrington. I’m not saying it doesn’t work for most kids. I’m just saying that it doesn’t work for MY kid.

1 Like

Right, as I said that was a link for the business school lectures as you claimed all core business classes are online. But I’m not here to try to sell UF to you
Wish your student all the best wherever they end up.

1 Like

To be clear, what I said was

I can not tell you specifically, but I know my daughter got the exemption. I am sure she handled it through her adviser.

Does anyone have any information on the teaching style of UF Engineering? I’d like to know if it’s more design and hands on or more lecture based.

Anyone have updates on the grandparent waiver waitlist?

1 Like

I try not to get too caught up in the published rankings but the rapid rise for UF across the board is hard to ignore. Latest example - Forbes: 2018 Not Rated; 2019 #70; 2020 rankings not published; 2021 #25! All on here know latest US News: National rank #28 tie (#5 Public). What is responsible for this? Seem dubious

I mean data-wise they deserve it. they aren’t making up the average SAT scores. You can say those scores don’t mean much, but that’s still debatable. The fact is the state of Florida is one of the only ones still requiring SAT scores so that actually makes UF’s average score even more impressive (since other schools scores are skewed upwards by being test optional- lower scores don’t get reported).
Florida gets a bad rap. We praise the new ranking metrics for bumping up schools like UCLA or UNC or Wake Forest, but for some reason when the same metrics bump of Univ of Florida we get all suspicious.

5 Likes

As an in state parent, I can tell you that the bump makes a lot of sense from a stats side. At my D22’s school, very few people apply to out of state schools. Heck, our salutatorian applied for UF but didn’t bother with the honors college app. With how FL funds the schools, UF receives a huge share of the Higher Education dollars. While that investment in the pre-eminent schools comes at the expense of the less prestigious state schools, it has certainly worked to get the UF, FSU, USF, UCF to climb the ranks.

Personally, I don’t see it lasting a lot longer though. The continued attacks from legislators will soon make the FL universities less appealing. Professors and administrators will start to leave for more friendly environments. Top FL students may start seeking out of state options. If things continue as they have the last few years, I would expect this to change in the next decade.

1 Like

Also - I think someone in this thread posted a story about how UF rose in the ranks. There was one anecdote about how they recruited a department head from a school (I think maybe from Clemson?), and basically allowed him to bring his whole department from his current school.

Hello, I’m waiting on my UFlorida decision (arriving tomorrow). Are there any hints I should look out for on the portal?

Hi. Maybe a weird question but- My daughter is accepted and this is one of her top choices. Her only main concern is the heat. I’ve heard some say that it gets unbearably hot and humid. Is that really the case? Just in early fall and late spring or most of the year?

Where are you from? If she’s used to heat, she’ll be fine. If she rarely experiences it, it could be a challenge (it really doesn’t cool until Nov).

It also depends on how much she wants to attend UF; the more motivated and enthused to attend, the more likely she can tolerate it and recognize that it’s part of the overall package of being a student at UF.

(Bc the flip of this we found to be true: our S applied to a very northern school and if he had been accepted he would have attended even though being from FL the cold weather would have been a challenge for sure but not insurmountable in his opinion.)

We’re from Massachusetts. She likes the heat but not sure about high 80’s and humid for most of the school year. The school otherwise seems like a great fit.

She’d probably be fine. Its’s been cooler overall this winter (much appreciated) and yet more rain?

And, I bet she could be distracted nicely with trips to Crescent Beach, floating on the Ichetucknee with new friends, and staying indoors during the absolute hottest times of day when humidity leaves you drenched when walking on campus (or anywhere in town).

Again, if she’s motivated, she’ll be fine. If she doesn’t like to sweat, it will be more challenging. She can always learn where the closest library is to cool down, etc.

Has she visited? If not, that could help
Her decide.

Just my .02.:crocodile:

We just attended Florida Days and took the engineering tour. Lots of
“hands on” labs and classrooms but I think it varies greatly within engineering. Obviously the basic core classes are larger, lecture style classes but once in your major the classes become smaller. The engineering ambassador giving our tour was a mechanical major and showed us the wind propulsion lab where he takes a class with only 5 other students–but he’s a junior. You should consider the upcoming Engineering day in April to get more detail.

1 Like

What time today are UF results provided?

Toweling off sweat as you get out of the shower? That kind of heat? Yeah, it’s all that, even in G’ville, which is far from Miami. So far north, in fact, that there were snow flurries one year I was at UF.

That doesn’t mean the summers aren’t brutal. (Full-on summers, in Florida, start in May and go through October. If you’re lucky.)

If your kid really doesn’t like heat & humidity, the southern schools are probably not a good fit. Florida is a huge campus, you simply cannot drive to class, and that means long walks or bike rides. To the above poster who suggested staying inside during the hottest parts of the day: Guaranteed that’s when all the classes are

I hated it. I did survive, however. (I’ll never live in Florida again, though.)

Wow. The heat sounds even worse than I thought. lol. Why are you a Gatormama? Do your kids go there or want to go despite your experience with the heat?