University of Florida Class 2026 Admissions

does UF give out of state tuition waivers? we know several kids from the midwest who looked and applied at FSU for that reason; and it seems a bit easier to get in. Know of no one around here who has applied to UF. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

So these will be announced only in Mid March? bummer, I was hoping we would know the whole thing tomorrow. FSU had both decision and OOS tuition waiver scholarship on Feb 17th.

There are also, new this year, about 32 OOS tuition waivers for 4 years via the Grandparents Scholarship. First come, first served for those that qualifyā€¦ Worth about $90k over the 4 years.

Today is the day! Good luck to everyone!

11 Likes

Anyone on this forum that had a freshman in the business school at U of F that can speak to ease of getting the classes that are required, access to academic advisors and if there are any online classes for freshman as I have read that somewhere? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Not sure since mine didnā€™t apply to UF ā€¦ she had the stats, but doesnā€™t understand why anyone would wear those shades of orange and blue. :joy:. People in Florida have deep loyalties, and people who are loyal to FSU donā€™t really think of it as a lesser ranked school.

1 Like

So does anyone see any portal changes yet?

You wonā€™t see any portal changes until closer to 5:30. Everything stays locked down until the very end.

2 Likes

Iā€™m totally nervous. I have nightmares about the SSAR. My counselor had me fill it out exactly as indicated. My private school is so obnoxiously snobby it has tons of undesignated honors and AP-level/equivalent classes bc all classes are highly accelerated and my school is very well-known nationally. Many arenā€™t formally designated on transcript as honors, IB, AP, etc. So in the SSAR I donā€™t get any credit for those. It all comes down to the AO adjusting it holistically or not based on knowledge/school profile bc my test scores are great and my unadjusted SSAR isnā€™t. I also live in a geographic region that was locked down harshly for 16 months so my ECs arenā€™t as good. Thanks, Covid! :sob: Iā€™m gonna throw up.

I assume youā€™re OOS due to the heavy lockdown comment. The only private school I know in FL is the Bolles School and of course the IMG Academy for different reasons.

My son applied to UF and FSU. UF was a presumably bigger reach but it too has low OOS tuition and a great ranking. One of his smart friends has applied to only UF and has a parent that lives in FL with Bright Futures funds. Heā€™s admitted to UT-Austin for CS so itā€™ll be an interesting choice.

It is unusual that the #2 ranked big state U, with top-tier athletics, would get more applications. In 2020, UT-Austin and UVA each had 10K more apps than A&M and VaTech, respectively, while UNC had 13K more than NC State.

Yep. Iā€™m far OOS. People here are insane.

Thank you @Melissa96 itā€™s so helpful to know that! :orange_heart: :blue_heart:

Does one assume that if FSU had a higher applicant number than UF this year, roughly 75K with only 17K being admitted, UF is going to be easier on numbers alone as 65K are applicants and around 15K acceptances will be given?

I so badly want UF acceptance:)

1 Like

Was he an OOS applicant to UT-Austin and got CS? If soā€¦wowā€¦that is next to impossible.

Most kids at my kids school apply to both unless that school that shall not be named ( where S21 decided to go to) is a reach.

Good Luck everyone today
Will be waiting next year for D23

1 Like

In-state for UT-Austin. :slight_smile:

@Aadavan_Elangovan nope. Despite ~15K more applications, FSU should be an easier admit than UF. Consider two private schools. #28 Wake Forest (same rank as UF) gets 28K fewer apps than #55 Miami (same as FSU). Despite fewer apps, Wake has a 50 pt higher median SAT and 1.5 higher ACT while enrolling 22% more students in the top 10% (i.e., 73% vs. 51%).

Wake enrolls 800 fewer students in its freshman class than the U. Wake gets 30% of the Uā€™s apps but enrolls 62% of the entering class.

Not sure about UF vs. FSU entering class sizes.

I see. However, in FSUā€™s case, I think they definitely just had their acceptance standards tighten up because of the increase in applications and the quality of applicants.

Their mean 50% now is like 32 ACT, 4.4-4.6WGPA, and like strong ECs and lots of APs.

FSUā€™s popularity has increased dramatically in recent years especially with instate kids. I donā€™t think FSU is truly considered a safety anymore. The scores there have jumped up in the last few years and there have been many kids who were accepted to Florida but decided to go to FSU. My oldest was accepted to UF and FSU and decided to go to FSU. FSU is considered to be ā€œmore funā€ and is very popular with the kids. My husband and I are both UF alums and it hits hard but FSU must be doing something right.

6 Likes

Lol, a funny anecdote I should add. At my high school (I live in TN), one of my counselors went to UF, and the other one went to FSU. Both of them loved their alma mater, and truly think either school is of similar quality.

For me, as a prospective Premed + Biochem, I think both schools have merit-able top brass professors and researchers with wonderful bio projects. It really doesnā€™t matter where I go between these two:)

Although, I do care which one has better food. Thatā€™s very important:)

4 Likes