University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

The school should have said explicitly in the “ignore the inadvertent email” sent out that day “unfortunately, we know that we will not be offering admission to all who received this morning’s email and we apologize for any undue stress this caused.”

Not very hard.

2 Likes

Oh - they didn’t send a follow up noting to ignore the email as soon as they realized?

1 Like

I would say it looks the opposite for OOS, which means you don’t have to have the same qualifications to get in OOS. My daughter was denied with a really, really advanced course load 4.5 GPA and 35 Act and tons of EC and community service. We are in state. She didn’t want to go there anyway as we’ve heard tons of courses are online and that is not her cup of tea. She will be heading to UM.

1 Like

I disagree. There is a fix. Kids applying to too many schools is the biggest problem. I’m good with test scores, but I’m not good with your statement of kids being “entitled” so they should automatically be accepted. These kids are being denied with top marks. Not much room to improve. Congrats on your luck in the lottery system.

4 Likes

I wondered about that. UF appears easier out of state to get in than UGA is in state. We know several Georgia kids denied from UGA who ended up at UF. Virginia Tech appears to be the same as UF - easier to get in out of state than in state.

One of my kids decided against UF because of the online classes also. This was 2021 and after Covid that was a real turn off!

1 Like

My daughter might also be at UM as well. We’re doing a visit to both schools soon. Bummer she didn’t get the Singer Scholarship, for which she was a finalist, such a pricey school!

My daughter might also be at UM as well. We’re doing a visit to both schools soon. Bummer she didn’t get the Singer Scholarship, for which she was a finalist, such a pricey school!

1 Like

UF has hard to come by merit but the COAis reasonable, relative to other high level publics. And the amount of online classes are real high but the kids I know love it nonetheless.

I don’t know about now but two years ago U Miami ( or do u mean Michigan) - it seemed like so many got $25k. Perhaps that has changed.

2 Likes

I think that’s just a losing battle. You wouldn’t tell a job seeker to limit their search out of consideration for other job seekers. I get that some of the applications are just an exercise in vanity, but there are also kids looking for their best admittance for the best COA.

If there were really too many applications, the school’s yield would suffer, and the school would have to make a change. So far UF doesn’t feel the need to offer early admissions or a waitlist, so it looks like they are good with how it’s working.

This is my second go-round with UF applications and they have always been pretty clear that they are looking for more than just high scores and top marks. Trying to figure out their holistic methodology is baffling for sure. Many really high-achieving, well-rounded students from my son’s school were denied, and even knowing UF is unpredictable, it’s a little shocking and disheartening. But the bottom line is, nobody knows why one kid is selected and another is not. We don’t know what was in someone’s entire application that fit what the AOs were looking for (or didn’t fit).

It’s a brutal process, but nobody should look at a school like UF as a safety, a match, or a likely. High test scores and top grades do not guarantee (or entitle) anyone to an acceptance. I hope the kids who were disappointed understand that the decision is not personal and it in no way diminishes their achievements. It is tough to see kids disappointed. I get that.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes I meant UMiami. She did get a good scholarship there but it’s still really pricey. Significantly more than UF without any merit.

1 Like

There’s always less expensive schools (with merit) that are outstanding that one can still apply to if they’re looking to spend less.

Schools certainly similar to UF in size and I personally don’t think less status and then mid size schools like Miami.

But UF and Miami are outstanding - and if it’s affordable for you, then your child can have a great, but different, experience at both.

6 Likes

UF Housing help, I can’t remember if we applied for housing my son went online to try to pay the $25 deposit to see if he did and it wouldn’t let him so does that mean he did?

I know kids at UF right now, in the business school, that have taken zero online classes. I think it would be very helpful for people following this thread if you could post how you came by this data that “the amount of online classes are real high.”

2 Likes

I know two who go to b school. One a senior. One a 2nd year. Others have noted similar.

Perhaps there’s a dual option. But many have posted this - it’s not new to these threads. . Will ask my wife and my friend for more on which classes.

2 Likes

Any word on when admitted students events will be announced? Will they be hosting Florida Days like they did last year?

It’s my second student as well. So I’ve been through this already as well. I’m certainly not trying to understand how they choose who to accept and who not to accept. My daughter actually isn’t disappointed, UM was always her top choice and she committed there before she even found out about UF. But I know there are a lot of in state students who are disappointed and I believe it is the responsibility of a state public school to accept an appropriate number of in state students that are overly qualified. My opinion…doesn’t have to be the same as yours. I just thought it was inappropriate to say these hard working dedicated students are entitled thinking they should be able to get into their state school with top marks and tons of school and community involvement. It clearly appears that it is much easier to get in as an out of state student. And you said yourself…a large proportion of the top of the top in state students don’t even end up going there. So I’ll let you fill in the blank. Thanks for the reply and good luck to y’all.

2 Likes

Oh and I don’t think it’s a losing battle. It’s the responsibility of guidance and parents to direct their students to the appropriate number of schools to apply to. And you don’t need to apply to 20-30 to compare offers. Most of the schools are very up front with the scholarships they give and for what. Applying to colleges and universities is quite different from the process of applying for a job. Again, my opinion. You don’t have to agree.

2 Likes

Is anyone an accepted student or parent of an accepted student who is concerned about Bill 999 and what it could mean for the curriculum offered to the incoming class (and more importantly overall vibe of the university)? Any insight on how this measure is being received by the bulk of the school community? Although being a little bigger than we’d like, the reputation, school spirit, and weather seemed to check a lot of boxes for my son. We are from SC so no stranger to right wing policies. But this seems next level and I am concerned with what we’d be getting into and what it could do for future reputational damage for the school. My son is white male, straight, and not really a political kid but he is open minded and interested in learning all of history (not that it matters really- all college kids should be able to learn conflicting viewpoints we live in a democracy). Not trying to start a fight here I’m just genuinely curious about how other potential parents/students are considering this recent development.

3 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree that 20-30 is excessive (and probably vanity driven). It’s that I don’t see Universities or the common app limiting how many applications a student can submit. They will take the money. They will take an artificially low acceptance rate because it makes them look more exclusive - like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are states that have requirements around what % of admissions need to be in-state. Florida doesn’t have that, but their numbers have matched closely to the schools that do. It will be interesting to see the breakdown this year, especially with the potential of the grandparent waiver.

I would never tell someone how many schools they should apply to, especially seeing kids denied from schools they thought they would get into. For the record, my kid applied to six and withdrew his applications once he got into his first-choice school. I think there should be integrity in the process, but it’s hard to define that for other people.

2 Likes

Yes, you are not alone. We are concerned about this as well.

3 Likes