University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

I think that generally it would include senior year AP classes, since senior year classes are reported to colleges and matter for admissions purposes.

1 Like

My kid listed them all (including ones he’s currently taking in his senior year), as the SRAR allow inclusion of these. My guess is others do that as well…

1 Like

Wondering if there is a specific date when merit scholarship will be announced and anyone has an idea around the the stats for scholarships e.g what % of admitted students end up receiving some merit scholarship? Thanks

2 Likes

I’ve heard 10%
I think notification last year was March 11, 2 weeks after decision day.

3 Likes

We are OOS and it seems my daughter has ruled out FSU and UF because of what is happening with the politics. We have toured multiple schools in FL - some made the application list and others were crossed off for various reasons. She was pretty excited about the possibility of attending either FSU or UF. Now that she is officially in at both, she will not go back for another look or consider them. We have asked for time off of work and booked hotels for another deeper dive visit just in case she changes her mind in the next few weeks. We are disappointed as we have family and dear friends who would be close to both schools and we liked things about each of them. In the end, it is her decision and since she can only go to one ruling out schools is part of the process. UF and FSU will be fine as there are thousands and thousands of others who will be happy to have her spot. I am impressed that these kids do actually read, research, and are plugged in to politics in a way that I never was at 17.

7 Likes

Pardon the ignorance but I have seen many forums about politics in FL colleges. Is that a direct or perceived impact? How exactly does it affect college life or outcomes?

I live in Florida and neither of my children will be attending college here. My LBGTQ daughter is in a wonderful private art school, but will seek college elsewhere.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/28/us/new-college-florida-board-meeting-reaj/index.html

6 Likes

I really wish these discussions would be taken to the politics forum and allow the students and parents in this thread to celebrate or commiserate on their acceptances and/or rejections. But since some refuse to do so …

I thought this opinion piece in The NY Times yesterday was interesting. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/01/opinion/campus-conservative-freethinkers.html

9 Likes

My kid is wrapping up at FSU and loves the school, but she and her friends are aware and very uneasy. The inexpensive tuition and full Bright Futures which she’s managed to keep, made it worthwhile, but if we were out of state, no way would I consider Florida. In fact, I always thought I would live in my home of many years, that I love, but now for the first time, I’m considering getting out of dodge. Talk about communism. That’s how they are rolling in Tallahassee, like a communist dictatorship, certainly not a democracy.

Question for parents who have students at UF. How does the meal plan work? I looked online but it’s a bit difficult to navigate. Thanks.

3 Likes

We are visiting campus for the first time in a few weeks. Any recos for where to stay? Is it better to stay close to campus? Is staying downtown more fun?

AC in Gainesville - right across from campus - is a nice hotel. The Aloft - not as nice - cheaper - and walkable to campus - but not as good a location. I’ve stayed at both (go for work).

1 Like

We booked a last minute trip to fly down tomorrow. We are staying at the AC Hotel downtown Gainesville. I can report back this weekend.

2 Likes

I read the article and I’m glad you linked it because it illustrates exactly why the governor and legislature are pushing HB999. Why anyone would want their student to participate in an environment like the one described in the article is a mystery. Forcing specific behavior to establish a collective of group think is the opposite of the ideal that college campuses should act as an open marketplace of ideas where challenge and individual thought is encouraged. The university cited is focused on churning out good little collectivists by canceling opposing points of view. Yet there are parents here, and elsewhere, that want this for their students. Some excerpts from the article:

3 Likes

Thx!

Thx! I’ve heard opposing views on Gainesville as a college town (some say there’s nothing outside of campus, others say it’s a great college town), looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

1 Like

it is weird how polarizing Gainesville is. We haven’t been yet but some poeple love it and others not so much.

1 Like

UF changed their foodservice provider this school year and students were hoping to see big improvements. My gator was disappointed with the upgrades, as he had high expectations, but he says the quality of the food, variety and service has improved over the previous year. That said, I would suggest avoiding any meal plan the first year and, instead, choose the declining balance option.

Declining balance allows your gator to pay as they go. It offers flexibility and doesn’t force them to use a service they may not like. Every couple of months, I transfer more $$ into his account. That way he can eat wherever he chooses to eat on campus or he can go off campus and use his credit card. He knows his budget and at least attempts to keep it close. The Gator One system allows you to track your student’s spending by food outlet and shows the amount spent for every meal. I think dinner at either dining hall is $10 and they can eat as much as they like or take their food to go. When he lived in the dorms, “Chomp It” was across the street and was open until 3 am. Lots of his allowance was spent there on turkey clubs and tater tots. Given the crazy times of some classes, and especially the testing times, having the ability to eat outside of the dining hall hours was a huge benefit.

3 Likes

I’ll second the AC Marriott Gainesville because of the location and because it’s a well run hotel. They also have the best bartender evah in the lounge on weekends. His name is Carson and his bar is a great place to begin or end your night…or both. Grabbing a pizza and garlic knots at Piesanos across 13th street is also a must. There are a lot of decent restaurants downtown, which is where so much of the student night life has shifted. Spurrier’s is another good choice but is west of I75 and a 15 minute drive from campus. If you enjoy college football memorabilia, this might be a good call. The UF campus also has a hotel. It’s located in Reitz but I have never stayed there.

The AC hotel is connected to one of the nicer apartment buildings serving students (The Standard). My gator is finishing his second year there and has loved the amenities and location. With UF maintaining old and tired dorms, many students choose to live off campus after freshman year. University Avenue, across from the campus, was once the hub for student night life. But so much of that has been replaced by high rise apartments that the old culture and charm has been lost. Just my humble opinion, of course. It doesn’t feel like a college town any longer and many of the remaining icons of student night life will be torn down later this year to make room for even more off campus housing. I think it’s unfortunate, but I suppose it’s progress.

1 Like

You had me at “best bartender”.

1 Like