University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

He makes a unique margarita that is stellar and my wife loves his bourbon sours. Hope they have rooms available for your visit.

1 Like

Not to “eavesdrop” into this convo
 but a good cocktail is important especially when going through this process! Lol.
Thank you for info, we are OOS and hoping we can tour the school soon. I know a few people have mentioned admitted student day info is forthcoming
 so hopefully those will come out soon!

2 Likes

House Bill 999 bans certain minors/majors (including gender studies), as well as any general education classes that teach a “curriculum based on unproven, theoretical, or exploratory content;” prohibits universities from providing any funding towards diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives; places all faculty hiring in the hands of a politically-appointed board of trustees; and allows that board of trustees to review the tenure status of any faculty member for any reason.

The political move to ban course content and to place the hiring/firing of professors in the hands of political appointees is not one which I feel is in the best interest of higher education in the state. It is difficult for me to imagine that this kind of idea-stifling environment will allow UF to remain a highly considered university moving forward.

4 Likes

The engineering school is having an event, and that’s what we are attending.

1 Like

I understand the reason for 999, as pervasive Marxist ideology has stifled free speech across campuses throughout the country. I think Florida companion bills SB 958 and HB 931 are better approaches for tackling that problem, establishing the Office of Public Policy Events to organize debates and lectures that look at competing sides of today’s public policy controversies.

2 Likes

Wow that takes the college out of college!

Isn’t a purpose (NOT ONLY purpose) of college to feel free and supported to explore?

Aren’t many studies considered “theoretical” (i.e. science)? Definition of theoretical is “concerned with or involving the theory of a subject or area of study rather than it’s practical application”.

Why limit choices and access to particular studies?
Unless students are forced to take these “concerning” classes then I don’t get it. Aren’t students free to select their courses?

No one will agree on political views so take politics out of it and just look at what this looks like in practice.

3 Likes

Yup. Agreed on all points. It’s a shame because UF is highly regarded and very affordable (especially in-state). I just don’t see how this ends well.

2 Likes

This has happened before. UW Madison was under attack during the 2010s by their governor, Scott Walker. UW Madison has been able to maintain their academic integrity, and I think UF can too.

4 Likes

I hope you’re right!

3 Likes

This is the problem with media narratives, rather than reading the bill itself. The bill does NOT ban general education classes that teach a “curriculum based on unproven, theoretical, or exploratory content”. From the bill itself: “Courses with a curriculum based on unproven, theoretical, or exploratory content are best suited to fulfill elective or specific program prerequisite credit requirements, rather than general education credit requirements.”

5 Likes

Booked! Thank you!

1 Like

These political discussions must be taken to the politics forum, because they’re not allowed here per Terms of Service.

Any further off-topic posts are subject to removal without notice or comment.

11 Likes

Sent msg

1 Like

What was the acceptance rate this year (for in state and oos)?

Also does admit rate include pace?

2 Likes

Yep, UF doesn’t consider major (including engineering) in admittance. During Preview you’ll work with your adviser and declare a major. However, UF is very flexible about letting you change your major during your first two years at the school.

In fact, they will keep raising that as a point during Preview. The University of Florida offers 104 distinct undergraduate degrees, concentrated into 91 majors within 26 broad fields of study. It’s a lot of options.

UF does have a few limited access majors. As limited access majors, students must apply to and be accepted into the junior and senior portion of the major to ultimately graduate.

These are typically smaller, health related majors. To be honest, I can’t think of any, so I had use google to find an example:

But as a rule, you can select any major during your first two years.

My apologies if this was asked and answered earlier, but do incoming freshman need to commit to UF before registering for Preview? If so, are they going to have a problem if they wait to April 1 to hear from all their other schools? Or should they sign up and withdraw if anything changes? I went to a small liberal arts college so this is all new to me! He did pay the initial $25 housing deposit back in November. Thanks!

1 Like

You have to commit and pay $200.00 non-refundable deposit before you can register for Preview.

1 Like

For kids who won’t hear from all their schools until April, do they tend to do that to hold the spot, register for preview, etc.? Or is that something to only do if they are 100% sure UF is their school and they are ready to withdraw other applications? He’s pretty set on UF and the remaining schools are long shots, but he wants to know for sure. Thanks!

3 Likes

Student portals are updated with Grandparent Waiver status for those who applied!

5 Likes

Thank you for the info! Waitlisted here. I wonder how many waivers there are and how many are on the waitlist. I guess time will tell