University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

We are expecting Financial Aid which includes waivers/grants/scholarships/loans to go out a the end of the week.

4 Likes

As an OOS who has been offered Fall residency for the first year, I am curious what the longer term reality is for housing in subsequent years. Is it guarantied through a certain year or not at all? Do the majority of upper classman typically move off campus? Getting closer to committing but would like a few more answer to some of the data points I am looking for. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

1 Like

Can you explain the housing . My son got the email to sign -up. Is it the sooner you do it the better chance you have to get the dorm you want.

2 Likes

I have same question. You were supposed to start the application months ago (before decisions were released ) and pay 25$. I believe this is what reserves your spot on line. My question is if I wait until April 30 to fill out the contract, do I keep my place on line? Some of the 225$ contract is refundable but seems unfair to have to formally ā€œcommitā€ and pay the 225$ before you decide to attend UF. I am hoping the 25$ application saves your spot on line and I can wait on the 225$ contract.

6 Likes

This is what I was trying ask :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your 25 bucks saves your place in line to even get housing. If you didnā€™t get in or decide to not attend you donā€™t get it back. I believe the sooner you send in the contract the better chance you have of getting your choice of housing. The most popular dorms fill up first of course.
Yes, it is a bit unfair but thatā€™s the way it is. It has something to do with financial year etc. that the housing department runs vs the actual school year of students. I looked it up years ago.

Most students move out of student housing after first or second year into apartments. Plenty of apartments around the campus but most freshmen like being on campus for at least the first year.

Iā€™m honestly a little confused about housing. Can we apply for housing before comitting to UF?

1 Like

Most students move off campus after the first or second year. There are plenty of apartment/house options surrounding the campus (many close and still walking distance). UF is pretty spread out when it gets to specific majorsā€“the med school/health sciences are near the hospitals, the law school is at another spot, agriculture is another etc. So students tend to move and get closer to where most of their classes are finally concentrated after a year or two.

Parking on campus is ā€œnot goodā€ shall we sayā€“like really ugh. So what you donā€™t do is get an apartment way off campus as a freshman with a car and expect to not have to walk far still to get to a class. Most bike and mopeds abound. UF does have a pretty good free bus system for students both on and off campus.

2 Likes

Is anyone else getting the ā€œLogin to StarRez Portal failed.ā€ when they try to access their housing portal? Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 Like

Yes. But donā€™t expect a full refund if you decline attending.

1 Like

My Common App for UF says that I marked no for financial aid. When I applied I thought this meant if I thought I would qualify for federal aid. Will my application still be considered for merit aid? Iā€™m OOS.

Thanks.

2 Likes

This is a bit off topic, but since you are from SC, Iā€™m curious if you have an opinion regarding the reputation of the U SC honors college. UF and USC honors are two of our seniorā€™s top choices. Thanks

1 Like

Yes, Merit Aid is considered for all students admitted.

4 Likes

Can you explain the housing . My son got the email to sign -up. Is it the sooner you do it the better chance you have to get the dorm you want.

1 Like

Frequently Asked Questions on Housing:

Example:

SHOULD I APPLY FOR HOUSING BEFORE I AM ADMITTED?

Yes, You are able to apply for housing through the application status page when you apply to the university. It is encouraged to apply as early as possible. When you apply you secure your spot in line to select your preferred living location. Please note, there is a $25 non-refundable deposit when you apply for housing.

WHEN IS MY HOUSING AGREEMENT DUE?

Each student has at least two weeks to complete their housing agreement to secure campus housing. To complete the agreement, students must accept the terms and conditions and make the $225 advance rent payment. Please note, completing your housing agreement does not confirm your admission to UF. You will need to confirm your admission by May 1st with the Admissionā€™s Office.

https://housing.ufl.edu/apply/frequently-asked-questions/

On the housing Cancellation fee. For newly-admitted students, after paying for $225 advance rent payment, if you cancel by May 1ā€™st, you have to pay a $125 cancelation fee, if after May 1ā€™st, itā€™s $225.

This has been the case for years (at least 10 years), but I looked it up to see if itā€™s changed.

4.2.1 Incoming / Newly-Admitted Student

4.2.1.1 Student is an incoming or newly-admitted student to University, and Student receives approval from University Admissions to defer matriculation to a later term; cancellation fee in such instance shall be
$225.00; or

4.2.1.2 Student is an incoming or newly-admitted student to University, but Student notifies University Admissions that Student will not be attending the University. If such notification and a written request to cancel the Agreement is submitted to the Department on or before May 1, 2023, cancellation fee
shall be $125.00; if such notification and Agreement cancellation request is submitted after May 1, 2023, cancellation fee shall be $225.00.

https://housing.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/2023-2024-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf

We are getting the same error message. My son emailed housing to see what the issue is. We have not heard back yet.

Use this link Home | UF Housing Portal choose prospective student login
And sign in with credentials you used to apply to UF, not the Gator Link

1 Like

Thank you. That worked!

I think the main question here isā€“
If I send in the final payment sooner than later (vs waiting until deadline) does that help me get my preferred housing?
Did sending in my 25 bucks early hold not only my place in line to GET housing but is that place in line also apply to my PREFERENCE in housing?

I canā€™t find that particular info.

1 Like