University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

I called housing at UF today. Waited ~45m so they must be getting a lot of questions. Told me that our $25 app fee (holding priority) back in October gives us our priority and we dont need to sign the contract prior to May 1st to keep the priority. It does need to be signed prior to May 1st otherwise you lose your priority. You can sign it after May 1st but you will be at the end of the priority list even if you put down a $25 housing application fee prior (Again, because you signed contract after May 1st). They also noted that your preferences (room-mate, etc.) and your housing picks and your priority number will be used to determine what they offer you which will come out after May 1st. Lastly, they did indicated that you could sign the contract and pay the $225 deposit prior to May 1st and if it turns out your student doesnt attend UF, you can go through a cancelation process to get your deposit back but she didnt have a lot of details on that
 just that it was a separate process.

6 Likes

does anybody know when merit scholarships/aid will be out?

1 Like

Hi there! Will the kids get an email about financial aid or will it just appear in the portal?

1 Like

On last year’s thread, someone mentioned they got an email around 5:15 pm. You will need to sign into one.uf to see offer. This includes financial aid and merit.

1 Like

Check your inboxes. UF just sent our OOS a Distinguished Scholar Waiver. Good luck.

7 Likes

We got it too, 4k/year. The website says up to 6k/year for distinguished scholar waiver. Plus she got the URSP stipend of 2k. We were hoping for a little more, but I’m glad UF oos tuition is still much less than other schools.

6 Likes

congrats! Do we know if all merit went out?

1 Like

My OOS daughter received the same. We were also hoping for a bit more but as our instate schools are so outrageously expensive, this brings it down to almost the same cost. Grateful. Also, the email came to her personal inbox, for those wondering.

5 Likes

Got the merit email too. Wondering if that is it or is financial aid still coming?

3 Likes

My DS got same.

4 Likes

A note on housing–contract is due April 30. It must be RECEIVED by April 30–postmarks do not count.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a sense of how off campus housing costs compare to on campus housing costs? Will live on campus first year for sure but trying to get a sense of future years to get closer to a total education cost for 4 years. Thanks

1 Like

This website should help https://housing.offcampus.ufl.edu/

1 Like

are there stats on what percent of 1st years live on campus vs off? and is this different for those who plan to rush greek life?

1 Like

I believe about 80% of freshman live on campus.

3 Likes

(deleted)

You’ll have to google some comparisons. It varies of course on proximity, number of roommates, amenities etc., utilities . When son was there it was less or comparable to on campus housing. He varied from apartment with 5 other roommates to a house with 3 other roommates. Main thing is you have to make the connections to put these living arrangements together–not the same as just “signing up”. Usually students have made these connections along the way and figure it out.
There are apartments though that allow individual rooms to be rented to avoid some pitfalls–like somebody bails etc.
And on-campus housing still remains an option–they don’t kick you out. It’s just that most kids move out voluntarily after one or two years.

What off campus housing does NOT come with is maid service!

1 Like

In General, off campus housing is about the same as on-campus. You can get a much cheaper place off-campus, or a much more expensive.

For about the same price, you can get a “nice” apartment off campus, with 2 to 4 bedrooms/bathrooms, and separate leases for each person. Very similar to the nicer dorms (your own bedroom/bathroom, but share the living room/kitchen with your roommates).

Or you can go with the new apartments, next to campus that cost about 2 or 3 times more than a dorm.

Or you can rent an older home (my son did) have your own room, but shared bathrooms, but end up paying less than a standard dorm.

Note, a lot of leases are for 12 months, so you have to pay for the summer or sub-lease it to another student. You can get shorter leases, but the per month rate typically is higher.

I also know folks that purchased homes in Gainesville for their kids. They then rented out the other rooms, and then after the kid graduated, they kept it as a rental property, or sold it. Not sure with today’s prices this makes sense anymore. Looking back, since I had two go to UF and would have had a child use it from 2015 thru 2023, I wished I had purchased a home. Ah well

2 Likes

Man. Me too. Retirement city! Go Gators! Meet you at Embers sometime.

3 Likes

whenever i try to log in to the housing website, it says Login to StarRez Portal failed. Reason: Login error. Please try again. What’s wrong with it???

1 Like