University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

We don’t either.

1 Like

Both President’s and Dean’s scholarships were released today. So, unless you were invited to Banner Key, I believe that is all the scholarships they will award. We didn’t get one either, but we know chances were very low as UMD doesn’t give a lot of merit.

2 Likes

Thx for the info. bummer

I know it’s disappointing, but please know many high stat kids didn’t get scholarships. UMD is a terrific school and while my son is still waiting to hear on a number of schools on the West Coast we are thrilled he was offered Fall admission, into his desired major and invited to CIVICUS. UMD is in our top 3.

4 Likes

DD was also invited into CIVICUS too but wasn’t too sure what it was about.

1 Like

Your UMD UID is provided on the letter of admission.

“ 1. Review your letter of admission in the Terps Application Portal

You have likely landed on this page from your admission letter. Be sure to keep your letter handy. It includes important information about your semester of admission, major, advising college, resident status and University ID (UID). If you have not yet seen your letter, log in to the Terps Application Portal and select the View Your Decision Letter button.”

https://admissions.umd.edu/enroll/admitted-students/admitted-fall-freshman-checklist

“ 3. Activate your UMD Directory ID

Newly admitted students will be able to activate their Directory ID at identity.umd.edu approximately one business day after the date of their admission decision.

After activating your Directory ID, you will also need to set up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). Both your Directory ID and the MFA will be necessary to complete your Housing and Dining Agreement (required of all students living in on-campus residence halls) as well as to access other UMD systems such as student financial aid, registration for orientation and courses, and most other student services. If you need any assistance please contact the Division of Information Technology (DIT).

It may take up to two business days for your Directory ID to become effective. Activating your Directory ID does not require confirming your enrollment at UMD. However, once your Directory ID has been activated, a TERPmail account will automatically be created for you. You will receive an email from DIT with instructions on setting up a password for your account.”

It is for admitted students. You don’t need to commit to attending UMD to set up your UID.

1 Like

DD got Dean’s today and her friend too!

5 Likes

$50K President’s scholarship. CS. Not expecting this at all because of OOS. Super excited.

6 Likes

D23 received $8k/yr. OOS. Direct admit to school of business. No Honors despite being invited at every other school she’s applied to. Still waiting on a couple of other direct admits to business schools before making a decision.

5 Likes

I feel like some parents might be misinterpreting the $50,000 Presidential Scholarship. My son got this and said it is distributed evenly across the 4 years so $12,500/year. This matches what others previously said is the maximum award ($12,000/yr).

Would one of the Forum Champions please confirm this. Thanks.

1 Like

Received $12500 per year ($50K for 4 years) presidential scholarship for OOS Letters and Sciences (planning to transfer to CS). Very excited.

2 Likes

The maximum President’s Scholarship is $12,500 a year for a total of $50,000.

“The President’s Scholarship provides four-year awards ranging from $2,000 to $12,500 per year. Both in-state and out-of-state applicants are eligible to receive the President’s Scholarship. Recipients are identified through evaluation of admission application materials including academic achievement, extracurricular activities, awards, honors, and an essay. Selected students will be notified of their award by April 1.”

Freshman Merit Scholarships | UMD Undergraduate Admissions.

3 Likes

Yes that is correct. It’s $50,000 over 4 years, not per year.

4 Likes

My D23 received $12500 per year ($50K for 4 years) presidential scholarship for OOS in CS. She was accepted to Scholars program earlier. Now UMD and Purdue are at same level for her. The condition for renewal is minimum of 3.2 GPA and 30 credits per year.

7 Likes

Congrats. BTW, I thought some public universities such as UIUC specifically do not allow internal transfer to CS for obvious reason. For future planning, there is no such restriction at UMD CS?

UMD has a non-competitive internal transfer process for getting into CS. It requires completing 3 gateway courses (which are actually the same courses that direct admit CS students take), getting a 2.7 and filling out a transfer form

3 Likes

Congratulations! I’m curious which school your kid will choose between the two. it seems some other oos students also face the same decision- Purdue or UMD.

1 Like

Then what is the advantage to apply CS directly and compete with the CS candidates? It is easy to get 2.7 and transfer. (Just want to make sure I understand it correctly)

one difference is that directly admitted students have to maintain 2.0 cumulative GPA while transfer students have to achieve a 2.7 in the gateway courses

I see, that is exactly what UIUC CS is trying to address. It is much easier to get in those top CS schools with other majors, maintain a 2.7 gpa, and then transfer to CS. Didn’t know such backdoor exists in UMD CS. Thanks for the insight.