University of Miami Chances

<p>High School Junior
Estimated 3.4 unweighted GPA
I had a bad freshman year, but I've gotten better.
I took An "Accelerated" class freshman year, took honors chemistry last year, and I'm taking AP Biology this year.
Worked as an umpire freshman year.
Volunteered to help coach my little sister's softball team the summer after freshman year, and I logged 24 hours.
Taken private drum lessons and had a band for almost two years now.
Started the political science club at my school this year.
Played intramural basketball every year.
Worked from May 2008-October 2008 at a grocery store (15-20+ hours per week).
I would guess I am at least in the top 25% of my class, possibly 10%.
Connecticut resident.
Parents make about 120,000 dollars a year combined.
University of Miami is my first choice, and I want to major in political science.
What are my chances to get in to University of Miami if I apply early action? How much financial aid/scholarships (if any) would I receive?</p>

<p>I haven't taken SATs yet but I have taken PSATs (61 on writing, 61 on critical reading, 67 on math, 189 overall).</p>

<p>Dude, you have another year. Jumping the gun a bit?</p>

<p>I would say that you should definitely study for the SAT though. If you get the equivalent SAT scores like you did on the PSAT, it will be a touch one. </p>

<p>Also, I would find out what rank you are for sure. 25% and 10% are a huge difference.</p>

<p>its never too early to see where you stand. this way he will know where he needs to improve while he still can. study for your sat's! i would suggest taking a class or something.</p>

<p>Get your SATs up and keep your head in the books so you can raise your GPA to at least a 3.5-3.6 UW.</p>

<p>i got a 1330/1920 on the SATs. my class rank is 25%.</p>

<p>I'd say your chances are improving, just keep your GPA on an upward trend, don't let it plummet like it did Freshmen year.</p>

<p>you're in.</p>

<p>my efc is about 37,000...what would i be paying with tuition, room and board, and fees?</p>

<p>can someone please respond?</p>

<p>,</p>

<p>Ok, cart before the horse. You need to get better than Top 25% and did you do any varsity sports or were the president of your political club? I admire your desire but to really assure a spot, class rank and leadership need to be shown, maybe play drums in school to show participation in group activities</p>

<p>Total bill is about 55k a year, less scholarships and need-based aid. Well worth it given what UM offers. This is why working hard at getting merit money is so important. Give the ACT a try to...you might be a NE student who does well at it.</p>

<p>Good luck and don't give up on the dream of going to UM!</p>

<p>BaghDAD hit it on the nose. Keep working and get those test scores up. Keep working on your grades and advancing within your extracurriculars. Getting into UM is hard, but not the hardest part of the whole process. The key is to work for the scholarship money because that is what will enable you to attend. I do not know your financial situation, but I could not attend UM unless I had received significant scholarship money, which I did. Your only problem may be that the transcript sent to college only encompasses up to junior year. You are doing fine though.</p>

<p>what if i do get in with these stats? would i get any merit aid?</p>

<p>Depends on a lot of factors...I would try EA for sure, more money available then RD</p>

<p>if i could get my sat up to around 1400/1600 would i be able to get in with the gpa and class rank i have now?</p>

<p>jhudak,</p>

<p>Are you still looking at 10% class rank in the end? School will project it when your transcripts are sent in with the app. The main focus should be on your GPA. Yes, a test score improvement only helps your chances but a Bruins pointed out, the GPA needs to be on the other side of 3.5 to really round yourself out.</p>

<p>Good Luck, keep working hard. Every little bit helps and shows the admissions folks you are a motivated student.</p>

<p>no i will most likely have a 25% class rank still. i will try to bring my gpa up though.</p>

<p>On my June SAT, I got a 1330/1990. So superscored, I have a 1370/2030.</p>