University of Miami Early Action 2026

Are you participating in any of the virtual events? I’m sure this question will be asked. I would expect the answer to be that freshman WILL be guaranteed housing. I’ll be asking.

@dcortese - Agree 100%. This housing situation could be a deal-breaker for us.

@RSM - I think that beyond any guarantee, what housing is also important - are they proper dorms, or are they temporarily commandeered hotels?

1 Like

Freshman will be housed in Stanford towers and Pearson and Mahoney. If they are fall admits housing should be guaranteed. Spring admits this year may not have on-campus housing.

This issue will only continue as Stanford will come down eventually as well. The new Centennial Village will be lovely (and expensive) similar to the new Lakeside Village.

And rents in the area are becoming ridiculous. The U should be addressing these issues but so far it’s crickets.

Agree. I meant to say guaranteed housing ON CAMPUS

This year fall admits were housed in Hecht/Stanford towers and some in Pearson and Mahoney. Next fall freshman will be in Stanford and all of Pearson and Mahoney. They will have issues the following year getting on-campus housing which is happening this year. It’s a mess and the university isn’t being very transparent.

I’m sure they will guarantee Freshman will get housing (if they are Fall admits) and I’d ask about spring admits because this year they did not have housing for them.

But ask them about sophomore year and beyond. This year, the freshman had only two choices for dorms as sophomores (Eaton and Lakeside) and over 1500 students were left without on-campus housing assignments. Students are on waiting lists which could last into summer. I wish we had known how difficult housing would be after freshman year and how expensive rentals are in the area and we may have decided on another school.

3 Likes

UMiami had the biggest gap in on-campus housing costs between their options. It really seemed like a world of haves and have nots. The dorms highlighted in their info were the most expensive ones and had a whole other lifestyle with separate features. The actual dorms for most freshman were pretty dated.

There are so many great things about UMiami, but housing is a concern and off campus would be tough.

1 Like

Appreciate your insights on this subject! In what ways do you find off campus housing to be tough?

After spending just a few minutes researching nearby off campus options it too is a list of have and have nots.

My son was also just accepted to UM. We live very close to campus and so he will be commuting. In our single-family neighborhood there are several homes which are rented out by small groups of UM students all living together. It might be a good option if you know other students who are also looking for off-campus housing.

4 Likes

There are options off campus, but it is an expensive city and the areas that may be more affordable may be further from campus or no longer feel like a college experience. I can not imagine trying to figure out off campus housing for sophomore year in Miami. That is just a very different experience than being on the campus.

Last year when UMiami in the running at the end for D21 this housing situation was not addressed in an admitted student info session/tour in April, but I guess at that point they did not know their numbers until after May 1. They did know they were demolishing and constructing, but that looked like a utopian wonderland. The only off campus apartments they mentioned were a few you could see from campus and they bragged about how great it is to have options so close.

Yes, agree, the gap between the have and have nots is probably even wider off campus. We are not able to buy a condo as an investment, etc :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Landlords and rental management companies are increasing rental prices exponentially because Florida has no rent control apparently. They know students will need housing so they will pay the higher rents if they can. If they cannot, there isn’t another option unless they want to live farther away from campus. It’s a shame the university doesn’t want to get involved.

4 Likes

Same with the Boston area

2 Likes

Reading this thread explains why my question went unanswered during the virtual session. I actually asked it twice because it seemed like I got skipped and they didn’t respond at all.

I have another kid at OSU and they aren’t guaranteed housing after sophomore year so I wondered what the deal was with Miami.

Maybe they aren’t guaranteed housing at all.

1 Like

Waitlisted

Same.

Hey all, I just wanted to come on here and post the final admissions statisics for the incoming class…
Admissions saw 16.7% increase in applications
Acceptance rate: 18.6 %
Average SAT:1440
Average ACT:33
Congrats to all who got in to to the most competitive class to UM yet!

6 Likes

Was waitlisted from Miami then accepted to GW.

1 Like

Where did you find this information?

I’m a college tour guide at UM and we had a get together celebrating the upcoming class and the admissions profile of the class.

3 Likes