University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Wow! Do you happen to know if it’s a similar percentage (to priors years) of applicants who are finalists for the Singer? I know you said less than 5% typically.

has anyone checked their portal regarding ability to change major. i still can

2 Likes

I see a change of major request from under admission request forms. Is that what you mean?

I still can. From what I read in early posts they fixed the locking change of major denied/deferred students prior to releasing decisions.

1 Like

How many of those were accepted in ED1?

1 Like

For those who apply to two majors is it possible to have a split decision? For example, get deferred from Frost/Music but admitted for Chemistry?

I may not be remembering my son’s application to U-Miami but I don’t recall an option to apply separately to two programs. If you applied as a Dual Major yes, one could reject you and the other accept in which case you wouldn’t be a dual major any longer (though once there you could apply to get back into that program - but no guarantees).

In Common App you get to pick two majors: First Choice and Second Choice.

Right - but that’s a different dynamic than I understood the question. If you’re not accepted to your first choice you’re considered for your second choice. You don’t get “accepted into both”

2 Likes

I think the question is more into relations to the schools. If I read it right the person auditioned for Frost School of Music and put a second choice major of Chemistry which is through a different school. When my son was accepted he had put a psyche major as his first and was accepted into a school accordingly while my daughter had put engineering and psyche and was looked at for the school of engineering. I would think that indeed you could get a no go frost but get into chemistry. I know people that auditioned and got in for a BFA in theatre and also took courses and majored in art. I know when my daughter was looking at engineering and was asking if the cognates worked the same for engineering as if it was arts and sciences the answer was no. So there is some differences in the schools. If not into frost it is unclear to me what the student would be able to do with frost. But it would seem possible to get into Chem.

2 Likes

Yes this is exactly my question! I am just not sure if split decisions happen. He is applying to a very competitive music major but I think academically he is very qualified as well.

1 Like

Right I don’t know for sure but I do think it might be possible since the two things are in different schools. Frost is incredible as an aside. Mine don’t go to UM. My husband is on faculty of the med school.

2 Likes

Same here. Although, I’m not sure my son even chose a 2nd. I think he is Frost or no go. :slight_smile:

Some amount of semantics and interpretation involved here. The original question asked around submission to 2 programs. When you submit to a college with a primary and secondary option, does the secondary even know that you applied unless the primary declines you? My GUESS is no. Only if you submitted to Frost and were declined does Chemistry even know about you. Again, my guess - not based in fact of how the colleges run - I just don’t know how they would coordinate such a scenario across 40K applications and however many programs.

1 Like

I can say in terms of Rutgers, the secondary, and in the case of Rutgers the third choice, does not know about the primary. I make this statement on DS being accepted to into his third choice, Computer Engineering, as we await decision on his primary major of Computer Science from two other colleges within the Rutgers system. When we originally submitted, Rutgers NB was his top choice, and he chose Computer Engineering so he would still have a pathway if he did not get accepted into CompSci.

1 Like

Anyone else apply to the school of education?

Did anyone apply to the Marine Science (Double Major Programs)?

If EA applicants do not get accepted will some be deferred or waitlisted?

Accepted, denied or deferred. I think those are the options for EA.

2 Likes

We thinking EA this Friday??

4 Likes