University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

was your daughter in state, oos, or international?

Has Ross historically ever accepted international applicants during the first wave?

D got in Ross yesterday, from Canada.

4 Likes

Congrats! I’m from Canada too. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Before is the 19th “by” is the 20th

1 Like

Many of my sons engineering friends still lived in Central but went to North daily for engineering classes. Glad your son found it not a big deal. Precovid it was also a way to meet people. So that not a bad thing either. I took one bus back with my son after a football game win. There was all kinds of fun happening on that bus :football::joy:… Wish I was in college again…

Have her research what the President of the school sent out to students yesterday. They are expecting fall to be more normal per se. Both as you know are great options and good luck to her.

Thank you! I think she has strong ECs (lots of provincial, national and international awards, representing Canada at international competition), excellent essays and awesome LOR. Best luck to you!

1 Like

Thanks! Your daughter is very outstanding. makes me feel a bit better to know that I didn’t get in because your daughter is much better than me LOL

Son moving into a house with 6 other guys and monthly cost is actually going up compared to dorm. There are cheaper houses to rent but Ann Arbor not cheap in general. I wish he would have stayed in dorms again after this year because he never even got to eat in cafeteria or experience other dorm life, but seems very few sophomores stay.

Rent alone for son will be $925 before food and utilities. We saw places in 700’s but pretty run down.

Everybody is different, hard to compare. You must be excellent too! Hope you get good news soon.

Best kept secret at Michigan is

My son’s in one with a chef… All utilities and actually food included. Most don’t have a chef BTW. But they make dinners together etc and students actually love these. Some are in houses. Some are dorm like. Truth is on central campus 5 minute walk to the Diag. Close to Ross actually.

The good thing about the co-ops is that they start and end with the school year. No 12 month lease. They do get filled up quickly… The one on North where my son is has the chef. It’s like a wooden campground surrounded by trees, Hammocks and firepits with free bikes to take around campus. It’s very peaceful actually.

Many are in Kerrytown… BTW - great places in Kerrytown to rent…

Ann Arbor in general is not Cheap but that depends on where your currently living and costs. Some of the high rises were giving deals so try to negotiate especially for 6 kids…

2 Likes

Go to the cheaper school if UT is in state tuition go there! It has been a very expensive year for online learning and OOS tuition.

1 Like

Hi! I have a question that I need some advice on. So I got deferred EA, and I was asked for the ECI which I am doing but I’m confused on if sending grades is being asked of me or not? I also got two Bs this semester after getting all As the last semester on my transcript, should I send them or will it hurt me? Will it hurt to NOT send grades? Thank u

The ECI is just a letter you send to express that you’re still interested in UM. Your grades are a separate thing. The deferral thing says “Your high school counselor should submit any new fall-term grades that are available on your behalf through the Common Application/Coalition Application.” so they really only are meant to help you. It probably will hurt to not send grades, because you’re going to have to send them at the end of the year anyway with your final transcript.

Thank you! If I request my grades to be sent now they will probably only be received early next week, is that a problem?

OOS ( upstate NY) accepted engineering 3.83 unweighted, 1300 SAT 710 Math 590 English and reading . 3 AP’s and 4 yr Varsity soccer and captain Sr. yr. Not much other EC. Denied or waitlisted at UVA, Purdue and U Mich. So deciding between where he’s been accepted, Penn State, Maryland and VTech. So hard not being able to do tours of school to get a feel and vibe.

1 Like

That is probably what with happen. We haven’t been impressed with the freshman experience. UMich has not done very much to help freshman connect in safe ways. I know they are saying next year will be better, and I hope that is true for the sake of my son even if my twins go elsewhere, but I’m not super confident given how things have happened this year. When school first started and the weather was still nice, they could have found ways to have small socially distanced outside ways to have people meet, but my son was very isolated in a single dorm. He did have a couple of in person labs, which, I guess, is better than most had. They did not meet often, but, he, at least, had a place to go a few times over the semester.

For the person who asked about off campus living. Living in an apartment probably was the better choice this year. I did not want my son in an apartment freshman year. I wanted him in a dorm so he could meet people. He ended up in a single in South Quad. South Quad is great! The best dorm according to many, but we did not anticipate how isolating it would be with Covid. He had no roommate. Food was take away only. No getting to know each other dorm things. No one allowed in your room. Not allowed to go into other’s rooms. Very hard to make friends if you are not an outgoing personality to begin with and don’t already know people (like my OOS son). His RAs were all but MIA. Then we were only given a couple weeks notice before they were supposed to come home for Thanksgiving and they were told they would have to vacate the dorms. Being OOS, we had to scramble to find my son an apartment for this semester (meanwhile this all came down in the middle of mid-terms, which only added to the kids’ stress) and my husband had to fly up to help him move out of the dorms. Some were able to stay in dorms but all are singles this semester and they had said you would only be able to stay in dorm if you had a valid reason why you could not be at home (immune compromised family memeber, etc.). My son says that the dorms are even sadder this semester than they were last semester, so he is glad he is in an apartment now. So, in hindsight, I wish we had settled him in an apartment to begin with, at least we probably would have gotten him in with some other freshman roommates and he wouldn’t have had such an isolating experience. I still would normally want my freshman to live in a dorm. It’s just been a strange year. Hopefully, everywhere will be better next year for all of our freshman (& my sophomore too).

3 Likes

Wow this almost made me cry. Let’s pray that this new class of 2025 doesn’t have the same experience.

2 Likes