University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

I thought there was something that if there was an issue with your photo they tell you so if you didn’t get that then you’re fine. I was with my son when he edited and uploaded his and no issues.

1 Like

Yep. Just confirmed this with my expert… Lol…

Oh, okay. Thank you!

Ross closed its waitlist for my son this afternoon. He is set for LSA Economics anyway, and it is probably a better direction for him.

Who cares about those Rossholes anyway! :rofl:

You don’t need Ross to get a good job in business at Michigan. Just being at Michigan and being involved will help with internships and getting jobs. All my sons econ friends had job offers really early this year. Congrats to your son.

As both @sushiritto and @Knowsstuff they’re 100% right, you don’t need Ross at UM. Being in Econ at UM is huge and everything I’ve ever heard is that Econ at UM gets the same jobs as Ross.

@sushiritto Your comment made me really lol

Oh, I agree that Ross is not necessary, and in many respects LSA econ is a better foundation for future work and studies (some MBA programs don’t want to take BBA graduates of another school). It all works out in the end.

Great attitude. I wish everyone had that view and was optimistic.

In one thread I suggested to people to learn to love the school they committed to and start the process of getting involved in all the things going on there. I mean with Michigan it’s like non-stop it’s so overwhelming. Not as organized as I’ve seen with other schools and their information isn’t all updated for the Fall on some of the sites (ie they have a checklist of things like medical forms required and dates but it’s all Spring related) so that’s frustrating, but is what it is. Anyway, someone nearly bit my head off about waiting for a school and it’s worth it if it’s a school like Yale. I think a day or two later Yale closed it’s waitlist. So this kid lost a lot of time pining for Yale. But not only that, Yale had more people on the waitlist than in their entire freshman class and a big part of the freshman class was already filled with deferrals from last year and ED students making the chances even slimmer. I guess I look at a waitlist as maybe there’s hope but plan for your next best option and if you get in then it’s a great surprise.

2 Likes

Yes, at this point very few people are getting off waitliists. I and many others had thought waitlist movement would be massive this year, but there were so many deferrals from last year (including the international students) that this didn’t happen.

Now it looks like the public flagships (including UM) will have very large incoming classes due to high yields. Pitt took in deposits from 5150 but had targeted 4300 (and as of March 2021 was trending lower than that!). See Admissions deposits well ahead of this time last year | University Times | University of Pittsburgh

That’s crazy about Pitt. I hadn’t heard that. What are they doing about that 20% overage and where are they sticking them?

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these places are hoping for kids to be asking for deferrals/gap years or for internationals not to come.

Another thing college counselors were so wrong about — waitlists. I asked my son today if he heard of anyone at school having gotten off any waitlist and he hasn’t heard of a single person. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, but he doesn’t know of any that he’s heard.

The article says that Pitt will not be leasing hotel rooms, but that they are making arrangements. When VA Tech had a similar problem 2 years ago, they temporarily converted their hotel into a dorm, and leased out hotel rooms.

I would say that this makes private student housing at the large public flagship schools a good investment, but see this article in this week’s NY Times: Investors Put Millions Into a Luxury Student Dorm. They Say They Were Ripped Off. - The New York Times

Condos in AA are expensive, except for AA Towers (which was decrepit when I was in UM in the late 1980s!).

I know of one NOVA student/family friend who got off the Penn waitlist to get into Wharton. He is now deciding whether to decommit from Duke. Otherwise, I have heard of no one getting off a WL, either.

Even if there is movement, it will not be enough to move the WL at the large flagship universities because of their yield overage. Thus there may be some small WL movement among the Ivies, but the cascading effect that I had predicted would affect all of the schools is not going to happen.

That’s interesting. My D goes to UT and lived in a private dorm which a lot of kids live in because a)it’s a lot nicer and b) they don’t guarantee on campus housing there. The private dorm is literally right across the street from campus also so it’s essentially on campus relative to most Universities. Skyloft is an apartment building there and I’ve never heard it referred to as a dorm or off campus dorm or the intent to be a dorm. Maybe that was when it was how it was pitched to investors but definitely not once it went up. People generally enjoy living there, but the one big complaint is that many units have a concrete beam going right through them and you have no idea which one if you haven’t seen the unit you’re renting until it’s too late.

People definitely need to do their due diligence and I think often a lot of people are looking for a quick score or ROI and don’t read the fine print and PPM’s can be hundreds of pages long if not thousands that many people don’t read them. It takes a savy investor to really know what’s going on and it’s so sad to read that people were willing to put their life savings into these kinds of investments, but even that I don’t understand how people get duped into doing that. Nothing is a sure thing!! Especially in real estate.

I am already preparing for the sky high prices in AA. We are already going to be paying over $1200/mo for each of my daughters in Ithaca and Austin so AA can join that club. Highway robbery. Most landlords suck too. The benefit at least with AA is it won’t cost him $3-400 minimum every time he gets on a plane!

My son is now trying to figure out what courses he is going to sign up for. He doesn’t want to take 2 Intellectual Breadth courses but he can’t move ahead in his major either, so he may have no choice other than to just start with the electives. I’m more concerned that he can even get in the Engineering and Math class he needs!

The cost of AA apartments are basically the same as Chicago. Maybe slightly more depending on what your looking at. For the CA kids it’s a bargain so it depends on where your coming from. Why don’t you think he will not get his classes? Also many students have to take things out of sequence or take it differently then what you would prefer. In the next 4 years he will get the classes he needs. Also coop living, depending, can be much less expensive with like food included. We paid in university apartments around $800/900/month with no 12 month lease dealing with subletting. That’s a savings right there. Many different ways to choose to live in AA

Yes, I have heard good things about the coops. It’s good to have this alternative in AA.

I agree, AA apartments are cheaper than CA, NY or DC, but more expensive than most places. AA is a very nice place to live (with many non-UM people living there), and the rents reflect this.

Coops are the missing links Michigan has like 15 of them. Some is really great area’s. Truth is 2 minute walk to Ross and the Diag. My son his last year (this year), was in Escher on North. It is so wooded and chill there with fire pit, hammocks, bikes to grab and go its like being at camp. Tons of trees. All food is provided like cereals and dinner and you can have left overs for lunch but news flash… These kids don’t eat 3 meals… Lol… Maybe late snack but not 3 meals. Plus… They had a chef. In non pandemic times they would of had bonfires and such… Plus all single rooms with utility’s and internet included. Start at school year and end with the school year. They are great values. But many you are sharing a room like a dorm.

BTW - people always assume it’s hard to meet people.

On Reddit some girl was looking for people to play tennis with and she’s just OK. She also wants to chill at the Arb (highly recommended). She’s there this summer. She said she’s looking for some friends.

Within minutes like 8 people reached out just looking to meet others.

So it just isn’t that hard if you take a chance on yourself. Maybe you need a study buddy or someone to go get pizza with or for a run etc etc.

Also join groups and activities.

If people really want to meet people, it’s never that hard. Everyone can find their own, they just have to be willing to look.

The reason I am concerned about his classes is because some of them only have a few slots left. He hasn’t decided which intellectual breadth he’s going to try to take yet but I think they all have to be specific category/HU and something else he said but he’ll find something he’s interested in and then may just take a general elective. I don’t think there are a lot of spots in the Linear Algebra classes that he wants to take since sophomores have already registered and the Engr 100 course he said if he doesn’t get the one he wants he would just take his 3rd choice or maybe take the Engr 151 first and take Engr 100 second semester. Once those are out of the way he will have a lot more freedom. The great thing from what I’ve heard is the ability to constantly change your schedule all summer long, whereas that is one thing my others can’t do, even though the registration process might be a little easier.

They typically hold spots for all classes through out the summer. So I would be really surprised if he didn’t get what he needs. If needed get on the class waiting list early. Unfortunately kids drop classes and it’s pretty easy to get what you need.

Good Luck. When is his orientation?