University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

The good news is his orientation is the first one, June 7-8. The Engr100 lab he wants is offered both semesters so he figures he has a good shot at getting it, especially if he’s in the first registration. I think he finished with all his pre-registration stuff/videos and was very excited about what he saw in the engineering buildings and thought the driverless car M-city thing was cool. He hasn’t been back for a visit in 3 years and we didn’t do an Engineering tour due to time issues with my girls so that was great info for him to see. He also thought the LED staircase was cool. It’s nice to see a kid so excited.

1 Like

There are many cool videos etc. It’s cool the research they are doing there. They just signed a deal with Ford and will have like 100 Ford engineers on campus full time.

This is for robotics and I think really, really cool.

Yes, this was another one he was talking about with that massive building and them having a robotics major. He is not a robotics guy, but did say the building is massive and looks very cool. I think he is anxious to get there this summer to check it out while things are quiet there.

For any parents in here if you booked a room at the Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor someone just posted in another group that they’re closed. They had no notice and only found out because they called Marriott and were trying to update their reservation. Crazy!

We’re you eventually accepted? Where will you enroll in the fall?

I was eventually waitlisted but I then got an email at the end of June saying they are not taking anyone off the waitlist anymore. I will be attending the University of Wisconsin and am in the honors program. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Congratulations! UW Honors is a wonderful outcome. Thanks!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but after reading a small chunk of the posts on this thread, I think that UMich’s admissions process could be dubbed, “Extended Rolling Admissions.”

It’s a cat and mouse game to protect yield. They flush out many (certainly not all) high stats kids, many of whom they suspect have other, higher ranked options.

Is there any other school who “postpones” applicants?

Postpone is the same as deferral. Many schools do it. Michigan historically has gone with this approach and looks like they were happy with this year as next year they are again doing the EA notifications in late January which was not ideal for most seniors, but it must’ve worked for them!

I know they did not accept many students in the RD round so it’s obvious they want people to apply EA and if I remember correctly they tell you that it’s not an advantage to apply EA you just get your decision earlier, but obviously not everyone received their decisions earlier. So that is sort of a crock.

I agree. It’s definitely evolved for the benefit of the school.

I was telling my kid—who plans to apply this coming cycle—about what I gleaned from this thread. They immediately said, only half jokingly, “Maybe I should submit my lower SAT scores.” If UMich is going to change the rules, it will just lead to new strategies to try get the best admissions outcome given the new rules.

Hah, one thing about UM I think is they were really pushing everyone to submit scores, even PSAT if they had them. I don’t know what the results were as far as admittance on TO but it’ll be interesting when that’s all released.

Parents in the FB parent page are going whackadoo about every little thing. Lots of housing have come out, but not all. They clearly told kids (housing) that it’ll come weekly. But instead every day some other parent says they still haven’t heard. It’s comical. Parents complaining about how many remote vs in person classes. Not everyone is going to be satisfied. Someone said her kid has 3/4 online. Today one just went online from in person. My son said you can find in person if you look hard enough or take an undesirable time, but kids I think are not telling their parents that. Instead they just say there are no open in person sections.

55% of students have reported they’re fully vaccinated. They have a week to report. I’m hoping that number goes up significantly as that seems low. If they can get higher then masks won’t be required inside many buildings/classrooms. They should’ve mandated masks for all students. Many parents are also against that, and/or the vaccine even. That surprises me, but it is what it is.

Good luck to you son! What is he applying for?

He should reach out to his area AO and ask questions even if he knows the answers. I think that helps keep his name out there. My kid was one of those high stats kid that was postponed in EA and then was the only one from our school to get in during the RD round. They definitely have a habit of deferring high stats kids. We didn’t expect him to get in the the EA round so when he didn’t we expected it, but it still sucked. My daughters though also both high stats did get in for Engineering in EA so they were just fortunate or I think it’s the female thing. Very happy he did for RD, especially because he was salutatorian. If he hadn’t gotten in ultimately, it would’ve really been a bummer.

2 Likes

Boy do I second that comment! In the college FB groups it is a handful of regular posters that either spend their time answering every question with “let your kid figure it out” (which might work in a normal orientation year, but in virtual orientation details have been a bit more convoluted) or posting rants about any changes to the norm. Not only is it a minority of people unhappy 100% of the time, but misinformation is being shared all over the place. And yet… I keep logged in.

1 Like

The Facebook page is a waste of time. Never went there in 4 years of when my kid was a student… Better information on this site. :wink:

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a waste of time at all. I’ve gained a lot of helpful information from it and have been able to pass it on to my son or use it for ourselves.

The redundancy and the negativity is what drives me nuts. People complained about no Econ in person classes. When I asked my son, he showed me that there were a ton, just not at good times.

But there has been a lot of valuable info. Finding dorm pictures, info about move in, etc. Someone posted something recently about housing that we didn’t receive any email about.

I also want to know what’s going on campus and how UM is handling it, like with the recent anti semitism stuff or when they finally posted tuition (this week it finally showed up on their website) but we knew before from other posters what it was without having to scour the website. So while there is a lot of useless crap there’s also a lot of helpful info.

I also hope to sell my OSU football tickets there instead of on stubhub! :slight_smile:

Ah! Football tickets perfect example of misinformation! A regular poster who normally shares correct info told numerous people that their kids should keep an eye out for a day-of email with their link to purchase season tickets, but in actuality you had to create an account before that and login exactly at 8am sharp for a hope to get basketball and hockey (which mine did). But I agree with you srparent15 - if you can manage to ignore the negative chatter, incorrect info and repetitive questions there are a lot of really good tips and helpful information. Especially for those of us that are out of state with no prior connection to either MI, or the college experience.

In terms of deferral or postponement, Michigan defers A LOT of EA applicants. They have to. Michigan accepts about half (50% +/-) of their 15,000-16,000 total acceptances in EA and this past admissions cycle there were about 55,000 EA apps, IIRC. So, if Michigan accepts 7,500-8,000 during EA, then 47,000 +/- applicants are postponed.

Also, my D was a high stat OOS applicant and accepted EA. They choose who they choose for a reason.

2 Likes

I agree. I never went on it.

1 Like

The emailed update UMich sent to parents and students as of 7/6:

https://president.umich.edu/news-communications/letters-to-the-community/u-m-ann-arbor-covid-19-update-2/

Wow! It’s very telling that you expected the deferral for your salutatorian son. Harsh. So, this extended rolling admission process has been going on for awhile?

My kid will be applying for engineering, too, OOS. We visited a few weeks back and really liked the campus and town, although I had some concerns about the isolation of North Campus. It seems like you could live your whole life there and never get to Central Campus.

Thanks for your suggestion to reach out to our AO—my kid hasn’t done that, and I think you’re right that it would keep their name in front of them. Also, haven’t been on the Facebook page, but I love your use of “whackadoo!” :laughing:

Any type of LSA class like math, physics, chemistry, etc. will be held on Central Campus. @Knowsstuff 's kid was in CoE and lived on North Campus, I believe 3 out of his 4 years.

1 Like