University of Michigan Waitlist Class of 2025

So your sources are better than their sources? It all sounds like speculation to me.

3 Likes

I think that is true. However as CS and Engineering are both majors that are highly impacted by international students, my thought is they may be keeping waitlists open for engineering and CS majors until deferral requests/gap years/visa issues become more clear. I have heard of several schools for example who have closed waitlists for most or all departments but have kept engineering waitlist open. Schools with high levels of international students may not have a real grip on their actual in person enrollment for fall for another month at least. If some of the top schools start taking engineers off their waitlist, there could be a domino effect as that group of top tier engineering schools is pretty small.

Also, even though it may seem that way in Georgia :slight_smile: Covid is not gone, new variants are spreading and predicting what will happen in the fall is still a guess at this point. The number of cases a day is roughly where it was a year ago. Of course the vaccines are a game changer but I am still crossing fingers we will be back fully in person as predicted!

1 Like

I second this. The only valid reason they are keeping waits I can think of is international gap year/visa problem probabilities. I heard people coming off gatech waitlist btw. I am not sure if they are recent.

They have taken a few off basically once a week or so since early May generally on Thursday or Friday. Not sure if they took any off last week or not. I’m getting the feeling it is fewer and fewer each time (first time was 80, second time was 50, and haven’t heard since then )and with thousands on the waitlist odds are slim!

Are you talking about the GT waitlist?

Yes

1 Like

Period queen

I mentioned this fact on one of these Michigan threads, but I’ll repeat it here. IIRC, I went back and looked at the CDS’s from 2000-2020 and again, IIRC, 2007 was the only year that Michigan took no one from the WL.

2021 has been a strange year and maybe this year will be another anomaly, but normally, applicants are selected from the WL nearly every year. And CC is really a very small sample of the WL’ed applicants.

I have heard from an in-state friend who got off the waitlist in april btw, but I think that was yield protection since she was over-qualified. It is not like 0 will come out indeed.

I think schools are so overenrolled that they will be happy if some of the internationals don’t come or as for deferrals until next year and don’t plan to go to their waitlists. That unfortunately will just impact the Class of 2022 of which I am so thankful that I do not have a kid in that class. I think there will be a lot of overcompensating going on for the overenrollments at schools to account for the numbers so next year they may actually accept less and play it safe unlike this year.

Schools are starting to send housing contracts that are binding once signed and they’re giving limited time to sign them. So, at some point students are going to have to start backing out. I guess we will see in the next few months! Also as they start to register and go through orientation since some schools charge for that process.

Michigan was still offering regular decisions in April, are you sure this wasn’t someone who was deferred?

1 Like

True or not, if you want to continue the waiting just keep waiting, and if not then withdraw. Why are people fighting over this. However, just keep in mind that it will not likely happen.

1 Like

I don’t think so, it was mid-late april. My counselor contacted my regional AO and received a response that we will hear back from them at the very last end of June.

I know Ross still had one admissions date in mid April. Not sure if other programs did as well but have not heard of any one getting off a waitlist and there’s been no discussion on parent groups either. Ultimately when they post their stats in a few months, it will all be clear.

Good luck to those waiting.

Maybe so. I heard over 50,000 international students are in California schools alone so at some schools the numbers are quite large! The schools that seem to not be over enrolled are the ones that didn’t increase the number of students they accepted this year, planning on going to the waitlist, and then they hit their numbers without doing so.

The two housing contracts that I’ve read are not binding if you decide to withdraw your acceptance. Cancellation penalty of a few hundred dollars is triggered at some point, but you don’t have to pay for the dorm (or the tuition;)) if you don’t go there. I agree though every step you take down the road whether it be finding a roommate, getting a dorm room, going to orientation, taking placement tests, etc. make it less likely people will switch unless there is a really good reason (better school, better finances are two that come to mind).

That could be the case about CA, but remember also there are a lot of “internationals” that are actually already in the US and went to high school here and currently live here, but their status when they apply is that of international. Many also may have green cards already. My husband used to do immigration law and a lot of them went through the EB5 process and had green cards mainly for their kids to come to school in the US, rarely was it just a student visa that they were looking for, but obviously that is not everyone.

I think it started to be clear that schools were have over-enrollment (higher yields than expected), when Purdue for instance was transparent and sent an email saying they were over-enrolled very early. It was before my son heard from Michigan even. Then they published their numbers which were 1200 more students than last year and yes they were always going to increase their class, but not by 1200. The other sign with them was that they didn’t accept many people in their RD round. GaT as you recall also didn’t take as many in RD and everyone seemed to get the waitlist. Michigan same thing. Their huge round seemed to be EA and then RD was not the big wave people were expecting. UT similar.

I also don’t buy the so called “experts” saying a ton of people double dipped. Maybe a few like in usual years, but there’s just no point, especially now. If someone waits to register because they double dipped then they risk getting lousy classes. Michigan the earlier you register the more advantageous to you. It can still work out if you’re last, but the best scenario is to be first. Some schools the students do it all on the same day at the same time over the summer. How does UGA and GaT do it?

When my daughter was a freshman at Cornell and getting things squared away and then some kids got off the waitlist way late in the process I saw how stressful it must be for them to be scrambling to do everything and said to myself no way will I ever let my next kid (this one) change from a waiting list. Lol of course I didn’t expect covid and this other stuff to happen and him to get on a bunch of them, but thank god he is so excited about UM, was able to get permission to enroll in an Honors class, even though there is no Engineering Honors program until after freshman year and all in person classes there would be nothing that could make him switch at this point.

Registration at Georgia Tech happens during orientation and it doesn’t matter which session you choose as they release classes and spots in classes for every orientation. There is no advantage to having an early one and it is really beneficial to have a later one after AP scores are in. UGA is first come first serve and my son hast to get on the ball about this!

One reason for the high-yield I have heard speculated is that people who may not have gotten in had test scores been required were admitted and enrolled in high numbers. I would be interested to see if there was a yield difference between test optional and those who submitted test scores.

It will be very interesting to see the post mortem once all the numbers are in.

I think you and srparent15 are correct about all these thoughts. I would have encouraged my son to drop the waitlist if it wasn’t half the cost for us being in state. He already has a roommate, the dorm he wants, advisor appt etc at his back up school but it’s going to cost us dearly over 4 years. We make enough to get zero aid but the out of state really hurts for us. Still hoping for a UM miracle! They’ve had his application since early October, it would be nice to have closure.

2 Likes

I agree about closure for these kids. Just get it over with. It sounds like Cornell is finally doing that as COE there is not letting anyone off the waitlist and sending out letters later today. Also, other schools there have already closed theirs. Not surprised. My daughter absolutely loves Cornell without a doubt, but there are some things I’ve seen at each of the other schools my kids attend that are by far more impressive. I’ll reserve judgment on UM but the advising has already been way better.

@VirginiaBelle UT does registration like GT. They release same number of seats in each orientation for each class so everyone has equal chance. But once you register you can’t add/drop until sometime in August which is annoying. UM it’s first come first serve but once registered you can add/drop throughout and they supposedly add sections all summer so that’s nice and there is a lot of shifting going on. So, once the AP scores come, kids can add/drop as they need and that will open spots or different sections for some.

I totally agree with you also about the speculation on high yield being that people without test scores got into schools they may not normally have and then jumped. Our school has more than 30 kids going to UW. When my oldest graduated in 2015, only 9 went and it was very difficult to get in. These kids going, some are bright, some were in standard or more remedial classes, so prob didn’t submit scores but 30+ is ridiculous. I wonder if schools will even release the data on admittance/yield of TO or not. Regardless, after this sh*tshow this year, I thought incoming seniors would be better off, but now I’m thinking it will be just as difficult if not harder for them especially if schools can’t handle the over-enrollment and the possible influx of internationals next year who had to defer because of the visas.

1 Like

My son is still on two but one is OOS and we would be in the same boat - full pay and one of the more expensive state schools (UVA and doubt they are taking any more than the handful (like under 10) they have already taken). I really think UGA is a great fit for him and he is excited. I am the one who wants the closure - he has moved on!

2 Likes