University of Michigan Waitlist Class of 2025

I think next year is going to be difficult as well. Likely not as difficult as this but definitely not back to normal, with many many schools continuing their test optional policies, particularly elite T20 types. Very thankful I don’t have a senior - I couldn’t take another year of this!

1 Like

Tell me about it. I’m happy this is it. Now just juggling the different schools. Texas we buy one sports ticket for all sports except volleyball and it’s cheap - less than $200. Michigan, ugh never ends - pay for basketball, football, and hockey each separately so triple what Texas is. They also haven’t even come out with their COA for next year. I think they will be more than Cornell’s COA, which is crazy, although it is expensive to fly to Ithaca. Great news your son is excited about UGA.

It’s three checkmarks and about $515 for all three sports. They list them separately on the page, so you can elect to pick one, two or all three.

You can always just pay for football up front and then have your son buy individual tickets from other students not attending basketball and hockey games. It’s cheaper.

1 Like

FYI, I copied this post from the 2025 Parent thread, posted by @NateandAllisMom this AM:

2 Likes

I truly wonder if the colleges will release this information in large numbers? I’m very interested to see it.

I know there’s a rush to buy the football tickets right away, but do the basketball and hockey actually sell out quickly or if he doesn’t buy them on Monday (when they all go on sale) will he miss out on them?

For simplicity sake, the first 2 years, we/she bought all three sports up front. Basketball tickets are handled a bit weird with “claiming” tickets and “claiming periods.” When purchasing football and hockey you will get every game, not the necessarily the case with basketball. More info below.

So, now we buy just basketball and of course football. Attending both basketball and hockey games (same time period) during the winter AND doing all your class and lab work and Greek life (my D is in Greek life) is a huge stretch of a student’s time. So D picks up hockey tickets when she can fit the games in. She always ended up selling a bunch of hockey tickets because there’s just too much going on and not enough time. Having said that, the hockey team is usually highly ranked and the games are a lot of fun.

https://mgoblue.com/sports/2018/9/4/student-ticket-faqs.aspx

If we buy everything up front and he then doesn’t want to go is it hard to sell tickets?

Like for football, he won’t be there for the OSU game. Do people stay or go back and can he sell his ticket?

I hear you about all the games and the overlap. Plus he wants to play recreational tennis and then of course there are classes and anything else he does. It seems like a lot to me!

It does just seem easier to get all 3 if he wants then see what he uses and then figure it all out next year if he doesn’t go. I see that it does seem easy to transfer to tickets even to non-students so if my daughters come parent weekend, it is possible for them to buy tickets from other students if they wanted, although their parents may be coming too so who knows how crazy that weekend will be.

As always, thanks for the help!

First world problems…expensive sports tickets…

1 Like

She’s paying OOS/private tuition for 3 kids, so these things do add up in the final cost!

3 Likes

The OSU ticket? No, he won’t have problems selling that one for sure. Trust me. :wink:

I got extra tickets for Parents Weekend, a couple years ago and had to sell a pair and made “big money.” (relative)

The prices in the secondary market prices are often WAY higher than cost, so IIRC, one year D18/we paid for the entire package by selling a few games she couldn’t attend, whether football, basketball and/or hockey.

Thanksgiving weekend is always tough for us, since that’s always the OSU game (but for last year) weekend. D18 attends that game when played at home and comes back to CA when Michigan plays that one away, but the Horseshoe (OSU’s stadium) would be a fun one to attend too.

Recommendation: Buy or sell your tickets early, if you know ahead of time. Ticket transfers are easy. A non-student can buy and use a ticket, if it is validated. The price of a validation sticker varies by game.

Ha! You will not have an ounce of trouble selling tickets to the rivalries like that one. We’re out of state and our student wants to stay there for Thanksgiving to see the OSU game (and will be up 5:30am our time Monday to get the season tickets).

Also, here is something from one of the departmental pages of the MI website about which tickets sell out first (*with 100K plus seats, it is not football).

“Please note that the Athletic Ticket Office anticipates Men’s basketball and hockey student tickets to sell out on the first day, so be sure to visit their site when ordering opens.”

Yes, the first minute they’re open, buy your season tickets. Your student must be an incoming freshman. Thankfully, once you become a returning student, renewals are easier, much earlier and more relaxed.

Is this still a place for waitlisted students to chat and support one another?

1 Like

Yes, and we also answer questions too.

Thanks for your email. You can expect a final decision from us by the end of the month at the latest. We will notify you via email when a decision has been made. If you want some waitlist talk, here is a response from an AO. I don’t mind people having a chat tbh u just can ignore.

Got sidetracked, back to the W/L…
I participated in a parent orientation for a learning community program (one part of the much larger LSA). One thing I thought would be of interest for W/L’s is that this fall there was a lower enrollment cap used than pre-Covid for this particular learning community. So in this case, there aren’t signs of the over-enrollment issue mentioned above, but instead limits based on a planned reduction in size. Might not translate to larger programs, or overall yield for the full MI freshman class, but thought I would share.

1 Like

Do you mean for instance that School A last year may have had an enrollment cap of 5,000 students but this year the same school may have had a cap of only 4,500 students so overall they took less and even though it’s not over enrollment, there is no WL movement because they just have smaller class size to begin with? Is the smaller class size a result of holding the spots for the Class of 2020 studends that deferred their admissions?

I would like to know when UM usually posts any of their numbers? They don’t seem to be as transparent as other schools with their entire process which I’m sure is frustrating for many.

They told me they post their numbers in October (90% sure from memory on a call to admissions 5 weeks ago).