University of Michigan Waitlist Class of 2025

I was accepted to the SMI Program for Winter 2022.
This is tough as I’m already really set where I am going.
June 24th late to hear and jump ship now.
Not sure. Best of Luck to everyone. This process has SUCKED.

1 Like

LSA rejected bye everyone

I am sorry that you haven’t received an offer for SMI. I have many variables to consider and need some time to decide.
best of luck to you.

Yep, I hear ya. While UIUC wasn’t his first choice, neither was Michigan, but he’s very excited to go there nonetheless. For me, I think it’s a better fit than going to Illinois with so many kids from our school walking into them all the time, but we’ll see.

Terrible year for applications but every one of you will persevere and do great and if things don’t work out where you are, then there are always options to consider to transfer! Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

My son was admitted to the SMI program that starts in Jan ( Yay!). Would love to connect with other families who are considering it too.

1 Like

Yes, so if your intended major is engineering for example to take chemistry courses or science courses related to engineering to ensure you are prepared to enroll as a transfer and graduate with enough credits related to your major.

Same here! Son was all set for UGA but got into the January SMI. He has a lot of questions (including housing and such). Congrats!

I am in the same boat with SMI Jan. Not sure what I’m doing. Your son?

rejected from waitlist rip

We hope that you are safe and well during these challenging times. Thank you for your willingness to be on our waitlist for our College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and for your patience while we determined our class for fall 2021. You are an accomplished student, and we believe you will find success in your educational pursuits.

We have now met our enrollment capacity and unfortunately will not be able to offer you first-year admission for fall 2021.

If your interest in the University of Michigan continues, please consider applying as a transfer student after your sophomore year. Generally, we give priority to transfer applicants at the junior level who have completed appropriate prerequisites for their intended major and who have demonstrated strong academic achievement. Your desire to join the Michigan family can be a reality.

We will be happy to help you in your planning. Contact the LSA Transfer Team at LSATransferTeam@umich.edu for help with choosing courses to prepare to transfer. You can also refer to the transfer information online.

We know that you and your family’s world has likely been upended and that this decision may add to your disappointment. We also know that you have already demonstrated your ability to persist and persevere, and we hope with that ethic you can look ahead to the opportunities we are sure await you.

Most fall students are still waiting on housing assignments. They’ve only so far given out housing for Honors and some program housing.

Most likely for you all, they’ll just throw you into wherever they have space.

They recently updated the housing site with the rules/guidelines for the Fall. Here are the most recent guidelines. People are complaining that a lot of classes are still going to be remote. Mine however, has his all in person and there are still many mask requirements, since only those living on campus must be vaccinated. FAQ – Michigan Housing

Also, one big change is that AP credits don’t count towards registration priority, which is a bummer but it does count in terms of costs! So once you hit 55 hours, you pay a lot more money. :frowning:

I have the exactly same letter except the “priority transfer” line for engineering. Does this decrease my transfer chances? Any other engineering waitlist rejects got this?

Here’s some info re classes at UM this fall that those admitted and trying to decide whether to attend from the WL may find useful - U-M faculty discuss adapting academic standards during online, in-person learning

My son was set as a DA to Kelley School at IU, but is definitely seriously considering the UM SMI program. I’d love to connect them if they both decide to go in Jan.

Peace be with you all always. Sending love. Good bye friends<3333

accepted to SMI Winter 2022. This sucks. My instincts are leaning towards staying a longhorn. Just a hard decision now. I am mentally ready to get to college and putting off till Jan. starting in the dead of winter. not sure of housing or any guarantee this cohort will be more online or in person. damn UMich. This will cost three times more.

Easy decision. Stay at Texas! Michigan is not worth 3x more.

Yeah that’s a tough decision. UT right now has more in person classes than UM is having in the fall, but of course that will hopefully change in the Spring.

Also, something you should ask in your research and I think I’ve mentioned to you since I found this out, is to ask how many of your courses at UM will be taught by actual Professors and not TA’s as I thought it was normal that Professors taught courses because that’s been our experience at UT and then heard that’s not common at UM. I wasn’t thrilled with what I’m paying to find that out, although that is partly why my son opted for the Honors Calc course - smaller and taught by Professor and hopefully as he moves up, he will have mainly Professors for his other courses.

I don’t think this affects UM because many frats are not affiliated with the school anymore, but if you want to rush check to see if you’re allowed to if you’re a Spring admit because at USC if you’re a Spring admit, you can’t participate in rush from what I understand. I could be wrong on that, but pretty sure that’s one negative.

Also, make sure you can get your money back from Callaway if you don’t attend. That may be your biggest obstacle at least from a financial perspective.

Ask a lot of questions. If you can’t go to classes anywhere in the fall, how do they really expect you to make them all up to be caught up for sophomore year? Will it be too heavy of a load. Check your AP credits and what they’ll take. They may not take your dual credit so that may hamper things - they aren’t taking any of my son’s so he has to retake both courses which are requirements. Ask about housing, how will that work? Will they just stick you in a random spot? Will you be able to get in with a roommate? Will you even be able to live on campus or will you have to live off campus and find your own housing? Anything under the sun that you can think of I would ask, especially since if I recall, it’s a new program.

It’s not 3x more. It’s more, but not 3x more. And in his case he’s living in an off campus dorm, so the costs are pretty much the same all in.

Michigan tuition is about 7k/semester more (20k vs 27k ish), but the UT dorm is WAY more than the UM dorms. Plus UT frat is outrageous, plus extras at UT - spending $, etc. will be more.

I don’t understand where this has come from. Michigan has one of the lowest student-teacher ratios for a public school at 14:1. Also, my D hasn’t had but a few TA’s and those were for labs or discussion sections, not lectures.