University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

Curious what people more familiar w usual Pitt acceptance patterns think about this: my son applied to Dietrich 10/26, accepted 11/12. However, we have not heard anything about merit. Is it likely, given this time lag, that a merit offer will not be forthcoming ? OOS, 1530 SAT, 3.8 UW 4.3 W, lots of good ECs, 8 APs. Thx!

My eldest is a sophomore at Pitt in Dietrich school. His timeline was:

Accepted 11/28/19
Notified of merit on 12/17/19
Notified of Honors 1/10/20

So there is definitely still time. You can call and chat (after the holidays) to see if there is still a chance. I have found they are very helpful when I have called.

Thank you!!

1 Like

You can still get into Pitt without Medical GAP acceptance. Medical GAP is a very small subset- like under 20 people.

Your daughter’s stats are very similar to mine. We weren’t sure if she would get Honors but she did with $5,000 a year merit. Very few got more than that so we were happy with it. She is a freshman now and loves it!

1 Like

Thanks, did your D have a 32 ACT?

She had a 1420 SAT which according to conversion charts is the same as 32 ACT. She says most people in Honors have higher than that (1500+) so she feels lucky to have gotten in.

1 Like

We got merit letter about two weeks after acceptance. I would say should get $5,000 a year from what I’ve seen. I have heard that they have had a steep increase in apps this year so may take a bit more time.

@colonelmike64 I believe they do consider test scores if submitted for Honors. So many students have a 4.0 these days they need something else to go on. My D decided to apply for Honors last minute so her essay wasn’t the best. I think it was the test scores that helped her get in.

1 Like

Thx. I feel like it’s getting to the border of too long. We got acceptance on Nov 12, so it’s been 6 weeks w no merit indication. I’m surprised, because he seemed to get accepted quickly, within 2 weeks of applying. I guess we’ll see!! Thank you for the feedback!

Thanks for this info. We are currently waiting to see if she is invited to 2nd round of Stamps and Nordenberg interviews. Wondering if that process is affecting regular merit for her.

D22’s top pick has been Pitt. She applied EA for best chances at merit but received a request for mid-year grades. (I don’t know if that’s a deferral, but we’ve been calling it a deferral). We’re OOS, and without merit it may be too far out of her price range to consider. I’ve been assuming that the deferral means there will be no merit money offered. Does that seem to hold true? She’s already mentally assuming she won’t get in, so she’s prepared to be disappointed. I’m just curious if deferred applicants are basically removed from merit consideration.

I applied to engineering on 11/8 and still haven’t heard back. Is this weird? Am I supposed to get it soon?

Yessir. Safety for me so never in doubt.

My daughter just applied. Her stats seem low in comparison. 3.8 unweighted gpa. TO OOS. Team captain of two varsity sports. Music scholar. Lots of volunteer work but only 1 AP and 1 IB and 3 advanced classes. Communications major.

We are in the same boat, with about the same timeframe on acceptance. Nothing on merit but a request to confirm FAFSA did come though (basically submit the same stuff the FAFSA asks for, which seems like a bit of a waste of time).

1 Like

Good luck to the Pitt Panthers in the Peach Bowl today! H2P!! (Another thing I love about Pitt is that it has great sports if a student is interested)

2 Likes

Was wondering if anyone on this thread had an interview for the Stamps/Nordenberg Scholarships and was notified if they were not continuing on in the process? D22 has not heard anything.

Only about 20% of students get merit and most that do get $5,000 a year so if they want mid-year grades definitely assume no merit.

Hi everyone! I was just curious to see if anyone could give me their opinion as to whether or not I will receive merit from Pitt. It is my top choice and I received my acceptance on October 12th and got the guaranteed admission to GSPIA but still waiting to see about any scholarships. A little stressed about it! I’ve gotten in to a few other schools and received some money from them so just trying to figure out if I should start to let my Pitt dream go, here’s my stats:
IB diploma candidate- so 7 IBs
3 APs (other honors and pre-IB stuff)
did not submit my sat, 4.5 w gpa
and then clubs and sports- president of two clubs and captain of sport
Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!