University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

Pitt may not be to your standards which I think are mis informed. Anyone at any school, can be on the pre med track. Pitt is a public school, is that the issue? Ranked 49 or 59th, is that the problem? Kids from Harvard, Princeton, and Yale go to Pitt Medical School. Pitt is nationally known in Nursing, PA, PT, OT. What about pre-med do you want to know? Pre-med is a series of classes that are required for medical school.

And UPMC is not a university but a health care provider/group that is affiliated with Pitt and has specialty hospitals all around the Pitt campus (women, children, eye and ear, psychiatric, cancer institute)Institute. All within walking distance or 10 min bus ride.

2 Likes

Have you contacted admissions to see if you are missing anything?

yes, I completed my checklist like a month back , there is nothing in my to dos anymore

@Dad2013 it sounds like you want to know about premed advising and med school admissions rates. Return on investment, too. Maybe search other threads or start a new one? Isn’t there a cc forum for premed? Pitt has a good reputation for health majors and being in a city with lots of hospitals offers many opportunities for experience during undergrad years.

They have run very late. As I mentioned upthread, our dates were Oct 31 - Jan 22. I think you are a bit into November right? So it could be a few more days. And I don’t think they are going in order. I don’t know what order they are going in.

1 Like

I see. Now I can interpret Pitt’s admission notice was an admission with undecided major. Since anybody can be in Pitt pre-med program, their pre-med admission notice has no meaning. Let me consider how much risk my DS has if goes to Pitt with undecided major. Thanks, all.

1 Like

On the question of prestige ----

From your earlier forum posts, I see you had a kid who was applying to similar schools – and also more prestigious schools, I think? – in the 2014 cycle. You must have some first-hand experience by now with how much that mattered for outcomes? I would love your insights.

There are so many threads about “prestige” - this is CC after all.
Not being unkind but you don’t want this thread to dissolve into that.

CS - Competitive to get in or competitive to get scholarships?

In my opinion, which is not scientific at all, just general Pitt knowledge and these threads, CS, Engineering, Business, and Nursing, all have their own standards and limitations of how many they can accept. This is the first year I’ve heard of Pitt being competitive within CS with merit. Are we certain that this is even happening or if this is just the climate of merit at Pitt this year?

@Dad2013 That is the case at every college, anyone can be “pre-med.” Pre-med is not a major, it is just the classes your student has to complete as prerequisites for them to be able to apply to med school. You can be a biology, philosophy or computer science major and still be pre-med. A very appealing program at Pitt is their med school guarantee but only a handful of students get this each year. I know students who applied for the guarantee but when they don’t get it decided to attend Pitt anyone based on the strength of their health sciences department.

4 Likes

So she applied October 20th!! however she had to submit SAT I think those were sent Nov.5th. and then she still hadn’t heard at the end of December, she sent an email asking because the portal seemed to think she had been admitted. the next day we got the email saying ya she had been in the doc center, a few days later she got the video and a few days ago she got the acceptance in the mail.

We applied very late 12/23. I guess we are in for a long wait, and probably a lot less chances. Communication major, OOS 3.7 going in with 3.9 unweighted mid year grades.

oh so I looked at her email (she lets me do that while she’s at school :)) and she got a portal update with scholarship $$!!! hopefully, since it’s a high amount it means she’s still in the running for that Chancellor scholarship she really wants a shot at!

9 Likes

Congratulations, great news!

1 Like

Does guaranteed Masters admit translate into good merit scholarships (which are not out yet) or are they both not related at all?

Thanks so much for all the info on this thread, especially how to find the application status and document center!

My D applied Dec 1 via the Common App and believes her application is complete. I saw that some applicants who applied earlier were asked to submit their senior mid-year grades. If she doesn’t get a specific request, does she not need to update with her first semester grades?

If she should just submit them anyway, how should she do that – she submitted her grades through the SRAR, should she update that? Or is it better to wait until she’s asked for the grades in case updating the SRAR triggers a change to her application date and delays her application review? TIA!

I don’t know that they are connected at all. My 2020 had guaranteed admission to Pitt law and a Chancellor’s scholarship for law school (I think that was the name of it, but it was $20-$30k/year for law school only), but she received $0 merit for undergrad.

She had high stats and national awards, and ended up choosing a T25 college instead. My 2022 with lower stats did receive merit, so their merit calculation isn’t obvious to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the info share

In 2014 cycle, the approach with a big fish in a small pond strategy turned out very successful. The kid went to college and med school with excellent scholarship and just finished residency interviews for top medical schools. The path is my another wish for the 2nd one now.

4 Likes