University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

also, my best friend who applied to pitt got waitlisted. I want to know on her behalf whether you hear at random in spurts about your decision as a waitlisted student or is there a specific date for that too. Her decision letter says she’ll find out till june so what does that imply?

Ah ok so yours still showed under review with no letter but you actually were accepted? :+1:

It depends upon where she is on the list and when people who were accepted decide to not go

Look up the Common Data set to see the history of how many students typically get accepted off the waitlist. With these crazy times, and if the school overs enrolls, then the waitlist is a very difficult road :frowning:

1 Like

yes

If they are waitlisting people, then is it full now?

idk, maybe they are waitlisting people with profiles that are not as competitive as the major crowd who got in but at the same time they are not below their standard level to reject. After getting enough students with higher stats and exceptional EC’s maybe they will reconsider waitlist , keeping in mind how many seats are available .

1 Like

UPitt asked me to submit my mid-year report in Novemeber and still waiting for a decision…is anyone else in the same situation?

Ok thx. Still nada for my kid. Weird

1 Like

Does Pitt more than 10k per year scholarship to OOS.
Asking because my DD got much more at other places but Pitt is her top choice. Is it even worth going back to financial aid to ask for more. This is all merit scholarship only

1 Like

My son got 20K/year. He applied very early, Sept. 18 or so. We were told best chances for merit were to apply early, and the posts here seem to support the general trend that more merit is awarded to early applicants (I didn’t do any analysis:) It also seems it might vary by major, with CS getting less merit than other engineering majors, for example. I haven’t seen any posts where someone asked for more merit, but it can’t hurt. If your D has any new accomplishments, maybe include those in the request? Good luck!

My son also got $20k/year. He applied in early October and was accepted by late October in engineering.

@midwest_mom9 @Luanne
If you are OOS is that 20K a better offer than any of your in state school options? Do your kids prefer Pitt over any of those schools? I’m just curious as a’ Burgh local with S19 at Pitt. It took a while for him to fall in love with Pitt when his top schools waitlisted him. I only ask because if they don’t commit, I wonder if Pitt reallocates merit, especially with so many applicants this year. Just curious how OOS applicants view Pitt merit.
My S19 was granted his original merit even though he committed in late July.

1 Like

Mine is unsure where he wants to go. We are planning to visit Pitt in March. I think he will like it but who knows.

The merit puts it about the same cost as U of Michigan and more expensive than other in state options, especially after scholarships. Michigan State is around $20k now and likely to decrease a bit more still.

He wants to find a place he likes and thinks he will fit in and that gives him good scholarships. I think he’d for fine in many places.

2 Likes

Great feedback, thank you!
U of M is an awesome school and so is Michigan State, but, for example, my S19 would not have applied there because it would have been so expensive considering his in-state option of Pitt, even without his merit.
For some reason S19 was heavily recruited by William&Mary in VA, but in the end we found out they give ZERO merit to OOS students. So it was a no-go on the $64K a year bill for what is an in-state school that is sooo cheap for VA residents. It made no sense for us to pay that.
He was waitlisted at Harvard and Columbia, which was a whole other set of dynamics.
With only 2 semesters after this one, Pitt has been amazing and we are thankful the stars aligned the way they did for him.
Can you tell we learned a lot with #1 son? Lol
Best of luck in your journey.

1 Like

Similar response as @Luanne - but we visited Pitt in the summer and my S22 loved it. He really likes the idea of a more urban campus - we live in a very small town in MI. We all had a very positive impression from our summer visit/tour, but will be headed back to meet with Engineering which will be important. MSU will likely be the least expensive option for my S19, but it’s only one hour away and may seem too close. UM will cost about the same as Pitt. My older son is a junior at UM, and it’s a pretty competitive campus, academically and socially. The question for S22 comes down to best overall fit. So far, Pitt is in his top four.

1 Like

Same here, asked for mid-year grades in November and still waiting for a decision.

Did you all hear from UPitt with the decision?

Yes, she was admitted last week finally!

1 Like

Sorry just realized she did get 20k per year
At other OOS universities, she has around 30k

1 Like

If in NJ, 20k/yr would get you below Rutgers in-state, which would be a no-brainer.