University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Same. Under review but portal says no application.

1 Like

Same here-under review.

1 Like

Question about the Honors essay (sorry if this was already covered and I missed it):

My son would like to submit his main application to Pitt as soon as possible, but would like to take more time with the Honors essay.

The Honors admission page says that the Honors essay can be submitted separately, and lists a Dec 1 deadline: Honors - Admissions | University of Pittsburgh

Is Honors admission actually rolling, like the general Pitt admission process? Should an applicant try to get the Honors essay submitted ASAP, or is it just important to submit it before the Dec 1 deadline?

Iā€™m pretty sure that Honors is totally separate and can wait til the deadline, and those decisions arenā€™t made until all the applications are submitted and those decisions come out in January. My older daughter was accepted to honors a few years back and thatā€™s how it went, although her regular acceptance came in September. She didnā€™t go to Pitt in the end, and this was a few years ago. I think the Honors program has gotten more competitive since then (like everything else). I of course could be wrong but I donā€™t think an earlier honors application will give an advantage, and the advantage with applying earlier to Pitt has to do with grabbing merit scholarships before they run out.

2 Likes

I have 2 older children who attended Pitt. Today in my photo memories a picture popped up of one of my sons from 2014. He was holding his acceptance letter from Pitt (they used to come in the mail). It was dated August 18th. I keep hoping that Pitt will start sending acceptances before September this year! :smiley:

4 Likes

Anyone hear from Pitt yet?

An admission decision? I am still waiting.

1 Like

Just read through this thread and wishing the applicants the best of luck. Special hello to @Gatormama - still loving that spreadsheet, share your knowledge from it!! , @tumagmom and @colonelmike64 . Students and parents, these 3 people know a lot of info about Pitt and they are super nice and helpful

I am so curious how thing will unfold this year. For those waiting, my D22 applied in mid August last year and was accepted in mid Sept. For those who are applying for Stamps and Nordenberg, she was invited for an interview in mid October. So definitely apply early for merit consideration as well as acceptance.

And Honors College waits to decide. It was pretty late last year. I donā€™t think they start selecting Honors kids at all until later. But, the essay is super important, and if also applying to Stamps and Nordenberg, I would not use the same essay even if itā€™s the same prompt. Give them more of yourself to consider with 2 different essays.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Whatā€™s on the spreadsheet?

SATs/ACTs, GPAs, APs, majors, and merit awards for Class of 2026 admits. I believe her goal was to gather evidence as to whether or not Pitt really wasnā€™t considering test scores for merit aid.

1 Like

Thanks, where can I find it?

I started the spreadsheet last year, using Class of 22 data posted in their thread. I wanted to gauge whether test-optional applicants were getting merit aid at all (my suspicion was no).

In the end, itā€™s not statistically significant at all, merely anecdotal.

But the info I gathered did bear me out, that if you submitted test scores, a) they were high and b) it got you merit. Very few got merit aid as TO applicants (@tumagmomā€™s kid is one of the exceptions!)

Again! Itā€™s not scientific! Not a predictor at all! Highly skewed to only a few dozen or so ā€œaverage excellentā€ CC kids.

But Iā€™m happy to share it; DM me an email address and Iā€™ll send a share link to a Google doc.

2 Likes

Hope your D is moved in/moving in and enjoying Pitt! And I really hope my son will be there next year with her. Thanks again for all your support and chats last cycle!

1 Like

She is moved in and busy with marching band and honors college. I believe convocation is today!

1 Like

How do you apply for Stamps and other scholarships?

Applicants are automatically considered for some scholarships while others like the Stamps and Nordenberg Scholarships require applicants to apply separately (the applications for these two do not open until September 1st). Each one is listed on this page:

2 Likes

The Stamps and Nordenberg are for PA residents only. They are separate scholarships but have same application.

The Stamps is a full ride in conjunction with the Stamps Foundation. The Nordenberg is full tuition and study abroad.

All info is on Pitt website.

Also, the Stamps Foundation has about 27 partner schools. Pitt is only 1 of them. Take a look at those other schools and their Stamps awards

2 Likes

Did anyone else get an email with a video from Admissions? We got one yesterday that was personalized with my sonā€™s name saying ā€œWe think youā€™re amazing and weā€™ve created a video to help you imagine a future at Pittā€. In the video, there are a few parts where it says his name and then ā€œfuture pantherā€ and at one point says his name and congratulations. Just wondering if this is just another general recruitment thing or if it could mean anything more? Iā€™m sure Iā€™m overthinking this, but figured Iā€™d get others opinions.

4 Likes

I think he is in!!! When did he apply?

2 Likes

Try looking in his portal to see if he has the option to accept or decline.

1 Like