University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Thank you!

Yes, it means he is accepted! Congratulations!

My daughter received a notice to check the document portal two days after we saw the accept/decline buttons.

But she didn’t get a congratulations email with the personalized video until a month after.

1 Like

We received the admissions offer in the document center tonight! Thank you all for your congratulations messages:)

5 Likes

hey is it true that the max in-state scholarship last year was 5k?

also, has anyone heard from honors? I got some merit money and am hoping that will increase my chances

S23 (OOS applicant) submitted to Swanson Engineering 10/11, application went to review 10/17, accept/decline buttons appeared 11/1, and 11/6 he received a “new document” email with his official acceptance.

Yesterday (10/16) he received a “new document” email. Turns out he’s been awarded a Cathedral of Learning Scholarship for $80k ($20k/year). :grin:

He applied ED to another school, but this is still great news.

7 Likes

I think the merit awards and the Honors acceptances are separate.

1 Like

Here is info. about the Cathedral of Learning Scholarship and the University Scholarships:

Diversity Scholarships
In line with the University of Pittsburgh’s commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion, several merit-based diversity scholarships, known as Cathedral of Learning Scholarships, are offered to select students. Criteria include weighted grade point average, rigor of curriculum (AP/IB/Honors courses), class rank (if applicable), ), and SAT/ACT results (if applicable). In addition to the assessment of numerical academic requirements are those holistic factors, as presented in the personal statement or Common Application essay, which allow for a diverse and multi-talented student body. Holistic criteria may include, but are not limited to, exceptional and unique talents; commitment to community service and leadership; significant family, job, or community responsibility; and contributions to cultural, economic, racial diversity.

University Scholarships

University Scholarships are the most common type of merit award and are primarily based on academic performance in high school. Criteria include weighted grade point average, rigor of curriculum (AP/IB/Honors courses), class rank (if applicable), and SAT/ACT results (if applicable). In addition, various non-numerical, holistic factors, as presented in the personal statement or Common Application essay, that describe the candidate’s background are also a part of the review process. These holistic factors allow for a diverse and multi-talented student body. Holistic criteria may include exceptional and unique talents; commitment to community service and leadership; significant family, job, or community responsibility; and contributions to cultural, economic, or racial diversity.

Number, Value, and Term of University Scholarships
University Scholarships range from $2,000 per year to $20,000 per year. University Scholarships are available for four years/eight semesters of undergraduate study provided the recipient maintains a 3.00 cumulative grade point average and meets all other terms and conditions of the award. Learn more about requirements governing University Scholarships.

Congratulations to all getting any type of merit! Please realize merit is not given to everyone, and while the awards may be smaller than you think they should be, that’s just the way Pitt is with slicing and dicing their awards.

3 Likes

Congrats

2 Likes

Congrats to your son – a great accomplishment!
Has he visited Pitt yet?

1 Like

Nope.
In my extremely small and non-scientific spreadsheet compiled from last year’s thread, there was one PA kid who got $10k (engineering major). I’m sure there were others; just not reported in the thread.

And, of course, there are the Pennsylvania-only awards: Stamps and Nordenberg, which are full tuition or something like that.

2 Likes

With over 1k messages in this discussion thread now, it’s getting harder to find info, so sorry if this is already been discussed (I scrolled, but didn’t see anything). Are there certain days when Pitt updates the portals (accept/decline buttons show)? I see that some people saw an update yesterday. Can it be any day of the week. Want to let my daughter know that she doesn’t need to refresh a few times a day every day if it’s only updated on certain days (submitted 10/21, email that app moving to review on 10/27). Her friend submitted on 10/13 and heard on 11/4 (accepted)

3 Likes

No, we haven’t visited. We honestly didn’t think to apply until a friend mentioned it in July, and by then we had completed all of our other college tours. (We visited 10 out of the 15 schools on his list.) We live in New England and Pitt is over an 8-hour drive. We were all feeling exhausted, and fitting in tours once senior year started was impossible. He went to the info session when the Pitt admissions rep came to his high school this fall though. We won’t visit unless it ends up being in final contention come spring acceptances. He applied ED to another school, and has an EDII lined up if that doesn’t work. We still have a long way to go.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Not yet. I think the merit scholarship and honor program are separate.

1 Like

Congratulations on the admission offer!

@malobstermom, we saw an acceptance on Friday (dated). Merit definitely seems to come out Tuesday (dated)/Wednesday (in portal) based on all we have seen in this chat thus far.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Has anyone received a CS decision recently?

We are still waiting here 
 OOS, TO

Someone in this thread or the other Pitt thread mentioned they had observed decisions frequently arrive on Tuesdays. My 23’s decision arrived on a Tuesday.

3 Likes