University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

This is pretty standard. Pre-calc is the minimum for many business students. I have a senior at UD in business and they are very explicit on their admissions website –

• Prospective majors in mathematics, engineering, business, computer science, and natural science should complete four years of mathematics, including trigonometry, pre-calculus, and/or calculus.

I hope your daughter doesn’t face this issue with other colleges on her list. Maybe you should check with admissions and perhaps change to another major before a decision is rendered especially if she is unsure about business as a major.

5 Likes

Ironically she only applied to two schools for business, the rest she went undecided. Under business it was Pitt and one other that she already heard from and got into. And again my older daughter got into South Carolina, Temple, Bama, and 2 others as direct admit to their business school without precalc. My 2023 had no idea it would be an issue since it wasn’t for my older daughter and clearly didn’t research that part prior to applying. So she may ask for reconsideration if she changed her major. Or she may just decide that pitt isn’t the right place for her.

2 Likes

https://admissions.pitt.edu/first-year-student/high-school-requirements/

You can check the Math requirements to School of Business.

1 Like

As helpful as I am sure that is- too late for that now. And two she did the common app on her own so obviously didn’t look that deep into it. I’m glad we at least know why she didn’t get in (she has great stats and amazing leadership and involvement). Her guidance counselor was the one who actually reached out to admissions as she was really confused to how she didn’t get in and wanted to know. She now also understands she can make sure her students know going forward. The only reason I even came back to share is because way too often on these sites we only see the acceptances. Hopefully my post will help someone for next year.

14 Likes

I heard that some candidates received the letter on Med GAP today. I did not receive any update yet. Still waiting.

3 Likes

Any update on Med GAP?

1 Like

Any update?

No, nothing. Still waiting.

1 Like

Some candidates got the rejection letter today below:

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Medicine Guaranteed Admissions Program. As I am sure you can imagine, this program attracts a very large number of amazing candidates such as yourself. It was

wonderful learning about your accomplishments both inside and outside of the classroom. Although the Admissions Committee was very impressed with your application, I regret to inform you that you were not selected for nomination for the School of Medicine Guaranteed Admissions Program at the University of Pittsburgh.

Please know that this was an extremely challenging decision. We had an unprecedented number of highly qualified applicants, and can only nominate a small fraction of students for this program. This decision does not impact your general admission to the first-year class at Pitt, nor does it impact any review for the Frederick Honors College or University Scholarships.

Please note, all School of Medicine Guaranteed Admissions Program decisions are final and reconsideration requests are not accepted.

As a prospective pre-medicine student, I would like to still encourage you to pursue your undergraduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh. The resources that we have to offer students interested in the health sciences goes largely unmatched. With six teaching hospitals on our campus, and hundreds of research opportunities for students, you will be sure to receive a strong academic and co-curricular foundation that will ensure your success in your future career that cannot be found anywhere else.

We hope to see you on campus next fall as part of the Pitt Class of 2027.

We did not hear yet. We are not holding any hopes.
BS/MD is a super reach. Of all the BS/MD programs left after many colleges dropped out, U Pitts Med School is the highest ranked.

2 Likes

When did you apply? TIA

My son waited till the last moment to apply. He applied on Oct 14th for Undergrad and before Nov 1st for Med School supplement. He got into Undergrad.

1 Like

When did he get the undergrad acceptance? We applied before then and still waiting. Doesn’t seem hopeful I guess.

We got it on Nov 28th for undergrad program.

1 Like

I was wondering this exact question! My daughter applied 8/28 and got into nursing 9/13. We were thrilled with that. However, a friend (not nursing, engineering) who also applied and got into Pitt heard very shortly after that about a very nice merit scholarship. We’ve heard nothing and were wondering if the minor (30 points) difference in their SAT scores was the reason (i.e., she just didn’t make some internal Pitt cutoff). However, I hope that’s not the case! We are OOS and have not heard about any merit scholarships. Submitted test (SAT) scores.

My nursing major applied 8/8, accepted 9/8. OOS, test optional. No word on merit. We have not heard of any nursing majors being notified of merit and are wondering if it’s the major.

In looking at my daughter’s portal, she applied August 12 to the nursing program as an OOS applicant. She was accepted (also got a GAP acceptance at the same time) on August 30th. She received a merit award on October 18th for $10,000. She was not test optional.

1 Like

OOS CS major. Accepted 10/18. 3.98/4.50, 1560, NMSF have NOT heard anything about merit. Too bad.

It’s 3 PM ET, and nothing yet.

1 Like

Same here. Anxiously waiting.