University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Got a letter last night requesting mid year report. They will give decision after that (some time in January). Did anyone else get this?

1 Like

No but curious what your stats are, when you applied and what major if you don’t mind sharing. Did the letter go to your document center? thank you, lots of luck to you!

No email from School of Med yet.

1 Like

Where did you receive the letter in your portal or an email?

And when did you submit your application?

Where did you receive the mail that your application is forwarded to Med School - email or Pitt document center

I received the letter last night in the Pitt doc center, only one letter from Pitt. It said that we will receive an email from School of Med to complete a Med GAP application.

Congratulations @johnmaysf :clap: :clap:

If you don’t mind sharing some range of number of hours of volunteering for “Many clinical physician/doctor shadowing, laboratory research and healthcare related volunteering activities”. It will be helpful to understand how many hours did you put in this activity which reflected your passion.

My son applied for BME and got accepted , he did not apply for school of medicine, I am asking this question for my own curiosity.

1 Like

Clinical shadowing: approximately 200 hours (in 5 clinics combined).
Research: approximately 200 hours (in 3 laboratories combined).
Healthcare related volunteering: approximately 50 hours (in 1 location).

3 Likes

It is very impressive. For medical programs, GPA and SAT/ACT scores keep one from being filtered out. Essays, medical related extra curriculars and other extra curriculars.

2 Likes

Also your major at Pitt is an important factor too. Pitt told me that a non-science major will make you stand out from students with a science major such as biology, chemistry, neuroscience etc. My major is Arts.

2 Likes

I applied 10/16/22 but haven’t heard back yet (Political Science)

Anyone else receive a decision yet from Poly Sci?

1 Like

The accept/decline buttons have finally appeared! Applied to Swanson School of Engineering on 10/13, but didn’t finish SRAR until 10/31.

5 Likes

You are workin’ in @johnmaysf !!! :clap:

2 Likes

My son did not use common App so he sent a resume along with application and elaborated some of experiences through essays.

2 Likes

The Med GAP is used to attract excellent students. But the Pitt School of Med does not look at your enrollment, just focuses on your passion and skills to Med in the second phase. So I have committed just right now. H2P!

5 Likes

3.5 unweighted
Test optional
OOS
Business
A lot of ECs
Applied end of October

2 Likes

You will still need to load your schedule with OChem 1/2, + labs, Physics 1/2 +labs, Bio 1/2 +labs, Chem 1/2 +labs, statistics (Pitt Med requires) psych, soc and more pre-med requirements. Plan on taking 18 credits every semester and summer courses. My son was invited to apply to Med GAP, he chose not to apply as he graduated HS at 16 and was not ready to commit to Pitt for that long :slight_smile:

S19 took another approach to the degrees
 he will be graduating this spring with 2 separate degrees 1) B.S. Neuroscience 2) B.A. History and Philosophy of Science 3) Chem minor & certificate in Conceptual Foundations of Medicine. He also has a self-directed minor so-to-speak in Jazz/music and has played in both the CMU and Pitt Jazz Ensembles while at Pitt. To accomplish this he went 8 straight semesters (including 2 summers) He interned at UVA Med School this past summer even though we are from Pittsburgh because they had a program not offered at Pitt he is interested in. So you can be artsy and philosophical AND major in a science. (this is where you get all your pre-med requirements anyway)

If he keeps it up for his final semester he will graduate with a 4.0 in 2 majors and have 2 Honors College degrees.

2 Likes

Thank you for information, but I already know all these classes and all Pre-Med requirements. I also have a planned schedule of classes in the first fall semester regardless the Med GAP result because I will be Pre-Med (even I am not selected for the Med GAP this time) at Pitt along with Arts Major. I do not think too far right now, just a small step at a time.

2 Likes

Pitt does not have a “pre-med” major as do other colleges. You will have to load up your Arts (and I assume you mean Studio Arts) degree with all the classes I mentioned.

2 Likes