University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Did you check the portal for any "to do"s? Did he complete the self reported grades? It’s a separate website. Maybe have your son call the school to check on the status and reiterate his interest in UPitt.

Nothing is pending…just waiting on decision…

I just want to give hope to everyone waiting on merit. Know that it can come much later after the initial acceptance.

S23 (OOS applicant) submitted to Swanson Engineering 10/11, application went to review 10/17, accept/decline buttons appeared 11/1, and 11/6 he received a “new document” email with his official acceptance. 11/16 he received a Cathedral of Learning Scholarship.

Fast forward to yesterday (12/20) when he went to the Pitt portal to decline and withdraw his app (he was accepted ED someplace else), and he noticed a new document in the system. Seems he was awarded a merit scholarship specific to Swanson Engineering on 12/17. That’s 6 weeks after the initial acceptance. So they are clearly still giving merit money.

There’s still hope!

9 Likes

I got the merit letter yesterday. $10,000/year for 4 years ($40,000 in total). In-state.

9 Likes

I applied for CS, with a 3.95 GPA and TO. I got asked to send my mid-year grades. Now I am wondering if I should send a reconsideration request. If I do, I am also wondering whether I should do this before or after I send my mid-year grades. Also, if I do send a reconsideration request, will they tell me to just send the grades or will they say let’s evaluate for the new major with the grades? Since the reconsideration would be for a different major, my final question is if they will keep my original October application or not. Thank you!

1 Like

Congrats! I’m going to give yinz (that’s 'Burgh talk) on this board some local advice…NO ONE calls Pitt UPITT. It’s just Pitt.

Signed,
A lifetime Pittsburgher and mom of 2 Pitt students

14 Likes

How does Pitt see high school foreign language grades?

I would send the request and then they will tell you if they want mid year grades at that point

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello - my son was just admitted (Swanson School of Engineering - CS major).

He applied in late October and received notification that his application was going to review on November 7 (I know a lot of people have been wondering how long this process takes . . . just over six weeks).

7 Likes

Congratulations!!! We also got the Nov 7 email that app will go on review. Unfortunately we won’t see if he got admitted until next week! We are out of town and my son doesn’t remember his log in info :joy::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I reached out to admission on my son’s behalf yesterday. I got response back as “application is in the final stages of review. He should hear back from us in the coming weeks.” Its been over 2 months for us since his app went under review…

2 Likes

Does Swanson have a CS major? Thought it was in its “own school”…School of Computing and Information?

2 Likes

Technically he applied as “computer engineering” major . . . every school seems to use their own vernacular and there are differences between “computer science” and “computer engineering” at some schools.

Also universities seem to have related disciplines in different schools (engineering, liberal arts and sciences, or their own informatic schools – like Indiana and UMass, I believe). Some universities – Northeastern – have an entire degree program for cybersecurity. Gets confusing.

1 Like

There are significant differences between CS and computer engineering. Computer engineering majors tend to have a lot of overlap with electrical engineering majors. Some places, (Cornell and JHU immediately come to mind) have departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering. In addition to a different curriculum, computer science is housed separately. Sometimes in CAS (usually) and sometimes in the Engineering school. (There are several internet sources that explain the difference if you’re interested, or you can just visit some of the college websites that outline the majors in detail.)

1 Like

Daughter just got email to check document center. Admitted to Civil Engineering program. Applied a week before early action deadline. OOS Texas.

6 Likes

Twin A applied 10/9 and Twin B on 10/10. Filled up the self reporting form on 11/15 and 11/16 respectively. They are applying for Biomedical Engineering. I just emailed PITT today . The response was that my girls will be hearing back shortly after the New Year. So that’ will be seven to eight weeks after their application was complete.

Is it possible that the school accept you as a regular student, then later accept u as an honor student ?

1 Like

Yes. You can apply to the honors college after you complete two semesters if you don’t enter as a first year honors student.

When do people find out whether they got into Honors?