University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Where do I find the applicant portal? I have only been looking at the document center. Is there a different page I should be looking at?

1 Like

For finding out about decisions, you won’t need the applicant portal as a letter/document would appear in the document center.

However, if you’d like to look at the applicant portal, the link is (Pitt Passport).

1 Like

Application Status (pitt.edu)

My Pitt Portal | All Campuses

Documents | Pitt Passport

1 Like

Is there a group of admitted students for Pitt

1 Like

We were talking about that upthread. There are a couple of Facebook groups but they seem to be associated with murky organizations that might just be data-mining.

1 Like

Our son’s acceptance letter was posted in the Document Center yesterday 1/13, two days after the “Accept or Decline” buttons appeared on the portal. There was also a letter granting him guaranteed acceptance into the Pitt Public Health master’s program with $5k annual scholarship. Very flattering, but he didn’t indicate that intent on his Common App anywhere - is this just a recruitment strategy?

3 Likes

I think the public health gap is assesed automatically for all those applying for bio and psych.

4 Likes

I believe that consideration for a master’s program is automatic for applicants to some majors, including engineering. We weren’t surprised to see the offer because they had mentioned the program in our kid’s virtual engineering visit.

2 Likes

Thanks - his intended major is psych

Here is where to find the information regarding guaranteed acceptance.

https://admissions.pitt.edu/guaranteed-admissions-programs/

And this is the specific info for Public Health.

1 Like

I’m saying no for now. My D23 seems okay with that. Maybe there are outside scholarships though.

1 Like

Probably a strategy. My D23 got the same offer. Not interested though.

1 Like

I am sure it is marketing, but what part of college admissions isn’t really? I mean there’s no harm in it. You don’t need to commit to it. It’s just an extra. It is a really sweet deal though for those doing the Med Gap process.

4 Likes

Thank you! I wonder if it’s reasonable to infer anything about Honors College and undergraduate scholarships based on this. Our son hasn’t heard about those yet.

2 Likes

This marketing gives students and their parents “bragging rights”, and pulls them to commit to PITT.

1 Like

For most students, the master’s offer isn’t very useful. But for some, it would be a meaningful offer. Like if my kid does biomedical engineering, where master’s degrees are common prior to starting the first real job, this could be a program he’d be really interested in.

I am not an advocate for doing a master’s degree without a very good reason. But I don’t see this as purely a marketing strategy and so far I haven’t seen “bragging” about such offers.

And as noted, it can be perfect for those who aspire to med school.

2 Likes

Those are totally separate processes that you’ll hear about individually later.

3 Likes

I agree, I started to write this statement in my earlier reply, but removed before posting.

1 Like

Sounds like a recruiting strategy. My S also applied as a psych major
 His application went into review on 11/30. May I ask when your son applied and when his app went into review? Looking for an idea on when he may receive a decision. Thanks!

Anyone know once you’re a student how rigorous are the classes?