University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Is this what you are looking for?

4 Likes

Good morning! I have a question for those of us that have to update our SRAR with mid-year grades. For classes that are 1 semester only (1st & 2nd quarter) do we put their final grade for that class or do we put what they recieved quarter 1 and quarter 2 separately? Thank you!!!

1 Like

If the student is already admitted, do they need to update their SRAR with mid-year grades? Our son hasnā€™t received any instructions or request to do so.

4 Likes

Thank you :pray:

I find the SRAR confusing as our school does block scheduling. For a class such as English my kids take it one semester which is half a year due to block scheduling. BUT they get a grade 1st quarter and then 2nd quarter which both show on the report card yet the grades are averaged to show on the transcript. Its confusing. So what I did is just put the final grade.

You are filling out the SRAR for the student? Couldnt get me within 10 feetā€¦thats on him!!

1 Like

Actually she sat with me and you do you :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you! This is great. Curious what application numbers are like to date for 2023.

Same here- my daughter and I did it together. No shame in that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The chart is very interesting - thanks for posting.

It is interesting to see the percentage of applicants submitting scores in each College within the University, and the score range. That information may guide future applicants as to whether or not they should submit scores.

It would be interesting to know first semester GPAs of those submitting scores vs those who went TO. My kid, who is in those stats, first applied to Nursing and was admitted in early October. She later decided she didnā€™t want to go that path, and was admitted to Dietrich.

In her case, the test scores certainly helped. She is above the 75% percentile test scores for Nursing (falls a bit short for Dietrich on Math, with a 740). Not sure how Pitt calculates GPA, but if her transcript reported weighted GPA was used, she is below 25% percentile for all Schools/Colleges with the University.

Wow, very interesting to see that in the freshman class (4,422), only 201 students are in the School of Computing and Information?!! Thatā€™s just 5% of the total freshman class! Is it really that competitive at Pitt for that school - CS?

1 Like

This is a document Pitt used in the spring with college counselors. It does not give specific GPAs at college, but it does express concern because test optional students are performing worse academically than those who submit scores:

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/0c/12/6C8DDE5E-35C0-4CC1-9EE2-0FA829D27E3B/Counselor-Event-Recap.pdf

1 Like

Speaking as an outsider, but parent of 2027 applicant, the school itself is relatively new. Believe it recently broke away from A&S. For some reason it appears to be the ONLY school that does NOT provide (or very limited) merit for freshman applicants. As least not yet. Not that we are a lock to receive, but Iā€™ve only seen ONE person on multiple threads state they received anything. Disappointing.

That is very disappointing! Was hoping Pitt can give enough to make it competitive with my sonā€™s instate options.

1 Like

When my in-state daughter (2021 grad) applied to Pitt computer science she was admitted in about a week after submitting her application and was only offered $2000/year as merit, several months later. She was a high stats kid from a highly ranked in-state HS (Pitt was her safety). They obviously werenā€™t trying to convince her to go. She is now a sophomore at UPenn.

2 Likes

Have to keep in mind that merit is used to attract students. If everyone is desperate to do Computer Science, then there is no real need to offer merit. Especially so if they are operating as a separate school within Pitt. Just supply and demand operating, as in any other business.

7 Likes

UNFORTUNATELY you are 100% correct.

I searched for a link online to this document. Is this the one you meant? https://admissions.pitt.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Counselor-Event-Recap.pdf

4 Likes

It is. Thank you! I had to run to an appointment and couldnā€™t get it to save.

2 Likes

This is fascinating. Thank you for sharing the link!

3 Likes